P&J: Pressure is mounting on Calderwood and Dons

mizer

ANOTHER HOME DEFEAT UNTHINKABLE AS ABERDEEN PREPARE TO ENTERTAIN HIBS IN KEY GAME

Jimmy Calderwood faces a struggle to win the hearts and minds of his doubting support. Saturday’s visit of Hibernian will be pivotal in deciding his prospects.

Saturday’s defeat by champions Celtic, despite a vastly improved display, was Aberdeen’s fourth in a row and a fifth this weekend will not be tolerated.

Another home defeat is unthinkable and Calderwood knows it as he attempts to ease the pressure after the poor start to the season which has left the Dons in 11th place in the SPL.

The manager also knows it is his players who must answer the critics on his behalf.

He said: “We have to break teams down when they sit in here and if there are 2,000 supporters getting on our players’ backs they have to ignore it.

“We played touch passing football on Saturday and got good service to the attackers. Now we have to do it this weekend at home.

“I believe in the players and it’s an issue of confidence for me. The big question now is can they do it against Hibs?

“I know what the players can do and I am convinced we are good enough. I know there isn’t much between the rest of the teams in the league outwith the Old Firm, but I would expect to have at least double our points tally.

“All the clubs will have a bad run at some point this season and, hopefully, we can end ours on Saturday.â€

The loss to Celtic on Saturday means the Dons have slipped to second bottom of the SPL but the manager is not concerned – yet.

Calderwood knows the supporters demand results rather than entertaining defeats, but his faith in his players to deliver remains strong.

He said: “I’m not pleased with the position we are in but I am pleased the clubs above us are not getting away from us. We’re five points off third place and three points off fourth and the situation is retrievable.

“People have been saying we cannot play, yet our two best performances have been against the Old Firm.

“I don’t like hearing criticism from supporters but it doesn’t bother me.

“I am not the one who has to take the next penalty kick or the next corner and get it past the first defender. I don’t have to defend one against one. But the players do.

“We played really well and caused Celtic problems on Saturday. The first goal we scored was one of the best we will score all season.â€

While Saturday was a huge improvement in terms of performance, there is no shying away from the result.

Calderwood said: “Why can we play like we did on Saturday after being so poor in previous games? That’s why I get so frustrated with the players.

“If we can do it against the big two we can do it against everybody and it shouldn’t matter whether we are at Pittodrie or away from home.

“We are capable of beating most teams on our day.

“We spoke to the players in training this morning and pointed out how well they played against Rangers and Celtic and asked them what is their problem in the other games?

“I didn’t get an answer. Everybody wanted the ball on Saturday and I know it’s harder at home, but that attitude should be there from the team in every game.â€

Thats what we all want to know Jimmy, you're responsible for making sure it happens though!