Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Jimmy: I will bring a trophy to Dons

Jimmy: I will bring a trophy to Dons

Boss has silver target

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 29/09/2008

ABERDEEN’S sensational performance against Celtic has convinced manager Jimmy Calderwood he was right to reject two offers to return to Holland.

Calderwood snubbed the chance to coach top Dutch clubs because he is determined to bring glory back to the Dons.

The club’s stuttering early season form left Calderwood wondering if he had done the right thing.

But their passion-filled display as they went down 3-2 to the Celts in Glasgow has restored Calderwood’s belief that he will eventually take silverware back to Pittodrie.

Calderwood said: “I turned down the two offers from Holland because I love it at Aberdeen and won’t be satisfied until I’ve brought a trophy back to Pittodrie.

“I never even spoke to the board about the offers because all I’m concerned about is being a success with Aberdeen.

“It annoys me that I’ve not managed to take the club to a final and win it already.

“People can say and write what they like about me, but I’m going nowhere.

“I’ve signed a three-year contract and know I’m the right man to deliver what the Aberdeen fans want.

“I’m proud of the fact that I’ve never been sacked as a manager and intend to make sure things stay that way.

“The only way to be sure of that with a club like Aberdeen is to win things and I will get there.”

A last gasp strike from Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink robbed the Dons of a share of the spoils in Glasgow, but they still received a standing ovation from their small band of supporters.

Calderwood pleaded for the Red Army to repeat that sort of backing when they face Hibs at Pittodrie this weekend.

He said: “I hope the fans are as proud of the players as I am.

“The fans were brilliant. Despite all that has been happening they got behind the lads from the off and really inspired them.

“I’m sorry for their sakes that we couldn’t hold out for the win. If they get behind us in the same manner at Pittodrie on Saturday, I’m sure we can make it just as difficult for Hibs.

“We have had enough of letting them down.”

Calderwood is particularly pleased with the way full-back Jared Hodgkiss performed at Parkhead.

The Dons have the 19-year-old on loan from West Brom until January but are already considering asking if they can keep him for longer.

Calderwood said: “He is a wonderful kid and so hungry to be successful in the game. There is an option to keep him here after January, and I’m sure it’s something we will be looking at.

“Jared has settled in well and is the ideal professional.”

"Jimmy calderwood in pointless news story shocker".  Instead of spouting crap about trophys when we have 3 months before we play our next cup game howsabout focusing on training the defence to not concede sloppy goals.  1st goal on sat was completely preventable and clangers should have come for the second

Nothing like a bullish display to get the gobshite back on form. While I am delighted that we appeared to match Celtic on Saturday it shouldn't take the nadir we hit in recent weeks to drag that display out of them. I'll reserve my confidence (unlike JC) for when we have taken care of the majority of average sides in the SPL this season. This should be our benchmark, not a gutsy loss at Parkhead. With our playing staff we should expect no less.

Well done lads for your efforts but can we build a little more solid ground before we get cocky ?