Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

JC: Show the fans that you are hurting

THE Dons plan to make Dundee United pay for their recent pain at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen go into tomorrow’s SPL New Firm derby determined to earn cheers instead of jeers from their fans, who are unhappy their favourites have failed to win at home this season.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood challenged his players to prove to the fans – who booed them off the pitch after last weekend’s 2-1 defeat by Hamilton – that they are just as sick at the way things have gone at home so far.

Calderwood said: “The fans are hurting but so are we. I’m expecting a reaction from the players because no one likes to get pelters from their supporters.

“I want our lot to come out a group of angry men, determined to make up for the Hamilton game.

“They should be annoyed after what happened.

“They were in command of the game then gave it away and ended the day getting pelters from the fans.

“If they want the fans to get behind them, as they did magnificently in during the first part of the game, they will have to show they are up for it right from the start.â€

Calderwood slaughtered his men for their poor form after the Hamilton game but has mellowed since the Evening Express told him that was only Aberdeen’s fourth home defeat in 27 matches.

Calderwood: “After I realised what our record is I could see I had been a bit unfair.

“If we lose only four of the next 27 I will be reasonably pleased.

“It was a bit of a knee jerk reaction because I was as annoyed as the Dons fans.

“But it’s important we show tomorrow that we’ve learned from the things we did wrong against Inverness and Hamilton.â€

Jamie Smith is the only Dons absentee, because of a thigh strain, which means Calderwood has 23 first team players to pick from for the match which kicks-off at 12.30pm.

His biggest dilemma is whether to recall vice-captain Zander Diamond to the starting line-up.

Striker Tommy Wright is also desperate to get his first start.

Calderwood said: “I’m going to have to leave good players out, which is a pleasant position for any manager to be in.â€

Calderwood is confident having several former United players in their ranks – including Mark Kerr, Charlie Mulgrew and Lee Miller – will also work in their favour.

“Everyone likes to have the bragging rights over their pals,†he said.

The Dons is also pleased they won’t be facing striker Noel Hunt, who United sold to Reading for £600,000 in the summer.

Calderwood said: “They will miss Noel because he is a real handful. He is a big loss to United.â€

If we lose only four of the next 27 I will be reasonably pleased.

I can see where he's coming from, but in an ideal world, we shouldn't be losing any games at Pittodrie at all. Especially to diddy teams such as Dundee United, Hamilton and Inverness.

You could also say that we've lost 2 out of the last three home games, which sounds worse. Someone once said something about statistics and miniskirts...

Someone once said something about statistics and miniskirts...

Yeah. And that certain someone used to front up and take the blame when it was his tactics and his player-choices that resulted in defeat. JC just seems to blame everybody else except himself. It's all very well JC telling the players to show the Pittodrie faithful that they are hurting just as much as the fans .... but since the defeat to Hamilton, I'm yet to see JC say sorry to anyone for the result. It's not the players who pick the team and formations!