Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jimmy’s warning to Dons hitman

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/791285

Reds’ plea to Tommy

By Charlie Allan

Published: 18/08/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today warned bad-boy Tommy Wright to clean up his act if he wants to become an SPL star.

Wright was fortunate not to be shown a red card after attempting to head butt Motherwell defender Stephen Craigan at Fir Park .

The 23-year-old was also booked for an injury-time lunge at Well full-back Steven Hammell in one of the most explosive Dons debuts for years.

Wright was unrepentant and claimed he has no plans to change his style.

But Calderwood has laid down the law and will fine Wright if he repeats the behaviour witnessed during their 1-0 win at Fir Park.

Calderwood said: “Tommy has been told to be more sensible in future.

“I never saw the incident with Craigan, but the tackle on Hammell was bad enough.

“We will make allowances because it was his first game and Tommy was desperate to do well for the Aberdeen supporters.

“But if he does that sort of stuff on a regular basis it will cost him in fines and will lead to a lot of other problems for Tommy.

“I want him to keep showing how much he wants to play for Aberdeen, but in the right ways.â€

The Dons will now have to wait and see if the SFA decide to use video evidence to punish the former Darlington and Leicester player.

But Motherwell boss Mark McGhee confirmed they won’t be lodging a complaint.

Former Aberdeen striker McGhee said: “It’s not as if it was a proper clash of heads, no harm was done.

“Those sort of things happen in games, so we have no desire to make any sort of fuss.â€

Wright was also booked in last week’s reserve match against Inverness Caley Thistle and has four red cards and 31 yellow cards from his time in England.

But the striker says he will be just as fired up when the Dons take on Rangers at Pittodrie on Saturday.

“It’s the way I play and I will pick up yellow cards,†said Wright.

“I wouldn’t be anywhere near as effective if I changed how I go about things.

“I like to get in people’s faces and annoy them, I’ve always been a physical player.

“My dad would slap me in the face if I went about things any other way.â€

Wright’s impact took the spotlight away from what was a vital win for the Dons.

Calderwood praised his players for seeing off the Steelmen, who were undefeated against them last season.

Calderwood said: “That was a character victory.

“It’s great news for Aberdeen, particularly with the big game against Rangers coming up at the weekend.

“It wasn’t the prettiest of performances, but the win will give all of the players a big lift in confidence for that game.

“The football will come though, hopefully in the Rangers game.

“We know they will come and attack us at Pittodrie, which will suit us as well.

“It will give us more freedom to get forward and space to improve the quality of the service to the strikers, which has been poor so far.â€

Wright was fortunate not to be shown a red card after attempting to head butt Motherwell defender Stephen Craigan at Fir Park.

The Dons will now have to wait and see if the SFA decide to use video evidence

It’s not as if it was a proper clash of heads, no harm was done.

So the SFA are going to use video evidence to see if he attempted to head butt someone but never actually connected.  ::)

By anyone's standards that's some pretty sensational bollocks.

Guest Caroline B

He'll need to learn fairly quick that he has to use controlled aggression. He's no use to us sitting in the stands every other week. Odds on him being sent off against the great unwashed?

The boy really needs to keep his mouth shut for his own good.  It's as if Wright's got two brain cells and one is obviously busy fighting the alamo.

So the SFA are going to use video evidence to see if he attempted to head butt someone but never actually connected.   ::)

By anyone's standards that's some pretty sensational bollocks.

Funny how they are going to use video evidence against an attempted headbutt! What about Novo "Cunt" stamp last season on Duff. Double Standards.

Good how he has some aggression to him. Reminds me of Lee Richardson or Deano.