Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Clangers - Dons axe changed my life

Christ we all ken Charlie Allan has written some shite in his time, but the highlighted part of this article must take the biscuit :rofl2:

Langfield: Dons axe changed my life

Keeper Jamie ready for new campaign

By Charlie Allan in Holland

Published: 24/07/2008

AFTER a year of living dangerously, Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield believes he finally has his career back on track.

Twelve months ago, Langfield travelled to Egypt with Aberdeen believing his days at Pittodrie were numbered after a much publicised drunken spat with manager Jimmy Calderwood while on his stag party in Spain.

The extended contract on offer to Langfield was withdrawn, and the keeper was told he would be sold if the right offer came in.

The former Dundee and Dunfermline man battled back to regain his No.1 spot – only to see his world come crashing down again when he was axed by Calderwood when the Dons were thrashed 5-1 by Bayern Munich in the last match of their UEFA Cup run.

However, Langfield again fought his way back into favour in time to earn the first choice slot for Aberdeen’s final five matches of the season.

“I’ve learned a lot from what happened over the last 12 months, and would like to think I will now be able to show the manager and the fans what I’m made of,†said Langfield.

“The initial problems I experienced were all of my own doing.

“I don’t want to go into it all, but it’s sufficient to say I was my own worst enemy.

“Everyone reaches a turning point in their life when they have to make big decisions that are going to map out their future.

“Mine was last summer when I created all those headlines for the wrong reasons and let a lot of people down.

“I knew I was down to my last chance to do something with the rest of my career.â€

Langfield also got married in the wake of his summer madness and believes that helped him have a more mature approach to life in general – and he has even grown a moustache to prove how he has grown up in the last year.

“I made a point of keeping my head down over the summer this time,†said Jamie, whose best man was Dons defender Lee Mair.

“There were no stupid antics, just a quiet holiday with my family.

“The daft things I did the last time affected my family as well, so there is no way I’ll put them through something like that again.

“Despite all that went on, I’ve never lost my love for the club.

“Proving I’m good enough to be the No.1 at Pittodrie for years to come has always been my ambition.

“I put in a lot of extra work over the summer, so I’m probably as fit as I have ever been in my career.

“I owe it to a lot of people to have a good season and I’m feeling good about what is ahead.â€

Derek Soutar, the man who was twice chosen to replace Langfield last season, has since moved on.

But the arrival of French keeper Bertrand Bossu – and Calderwood’s record of dropping keepers if he feels it is necessary – will ensure there is no chance of Langfield ever taking his status as the club’s No.1 for granted.

He said: “Keepers sometimes get a wee bit complacent about being in the team, but there is no chance of that happening under Jimmy.

“You just never know when the axe might fall, so it definitely keeps you on your toes all season.

“I was disappointed to be in and out of the team, but had to accept the manager’s decision.

“He explained that it wasn’t a matter of me being made a scapegoat for us losing games, it was a case of him believing it was time to make a change to freshen things up.

“It made a me stronger person because when I came back for the last five games I felt as confident and determined as I ever have.â€