Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Peterheid v Aberdeen

There is often a danger of over-reacting to results in pre-season friendly matches.

::)

We've had good/bad pre-seasons in the past followed by good/bad starts to SPL campaigns in the past, lets see how we get on when it really matters (although a goal in pre-season would be nice!).  Very disappointing result on Friday but I'm not losing any sleep over it, mainly because I'm on sleeping tablets at the moment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a grip all ye bams!

Kowalski is spot on... It's only a pre-season friendly!!!  :thumbsup:

Nothing like a meaningless game to get Dons fans back to their moaning ways - never mind players fitness levels, maybe that's the real reason for pre-season - to get fans moaning levels back up to speed!  ::)

Yes it is a pre-season friendly. But there is no reason why a part-time club who has also just returned to pre-season training should be in much better shape than the so-called 'professionals'.

I don't care what game and at what time of the season, Aberdeen should not be being beat by Peterhead, and if the players don't have the pride when they pull on a red jersey then they shouldn't be there.

I hate all the 'it was only a pre-season friendly for the lads fitness' stuff - if they were playing a team half way through their season then maybe I could understand it. But Peterhead are a Division 2 team, who are part-time - if our fitness levels aren't much better than theirs then our players haven't been looking after themselves during their summer.

And nothing wrong with a good moan Jager  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave:

get a grip all ye bams!

Kowalski is spot on... It's only a pre-season friendly!!!  :thumbsup:

Nothing like a meaningless game to get Dons fans back to their moaning ways - never mind players fitness levels, maybe that's the real reason for pre-season - to get fans moaning levels back up to speed!  ::)

I'd normally agree with you Jager, but i think the manner of the defeat has upset people. You always get crap results pre-season, but 4-0 to peterhead is taking the piss. The one positive thing is that surely, surely he realises that defence should never be used again and that he may realise we need more reinforcements than he first imagined. Here's hoping, anyway.

Exactly, BB. It's a piss-take.

Not expecting them to hammer Peterheid 10-0, but I want to see that the players we have possess a little competitiveness, and a degree of self-respect.

The excuse is that they're trying to get match fit and don't want to get injured.  It's a pretty weak excuse.

If they want to just stroll through a match without trying a fuck then there's enough players in the squad to play practice matches with an Aberdeen A and B team, without the need to charge Aberdeen supporters 12 quid to watch the players stand around doing fuck all in Peterheid. 

Playing Peterhead would surely be considered a semi-competitive game, and for that reason alone a 4-0 humping is disgraceful.

I think it just shows the mentality of the players we have at the club... and that's not a winning mentality.

I'd normally agree with you Jager, but i think the manner of the defeat has upset people. You always get crap results pre-season, but 4-0 to peterhead is taking the piss. The one positive thing is that surely, surely he realises that defence should never be used again and that he may realise we need more reinforcements than he first imagined. Here's hoping, anyway.

One thing that irritataes about Calderwood though is that he will try something, it wont work and end up being a nightmare, but he will try to persevere with it, for whatever reason, whether its just to "make sure" it doesnt work , or to try and prove folk wrong, whatever.  He seems to take an idea into his head and go with it relentlessly. until he has lost too many points or goals to be left with no other option but to change.  Using Severin in defence is one example, using Duff is another.

I expect to see a similar back line against Brechin the morn.

Yay. :-[

One thing that irritataes about Calderwood though is that he will try something, it wont work and end up being a nightmare, but he will try to persevere with it, for whatever reason, whether its just to "make sure" it doesnt work , or to try and prove folk wrong, whatever.  He seems to take an idea into his head and go with it relentlessly. until he has lost too many points or goals to be left with no other option but to change.  Using Severin in defence is one example, using Duff is another.

I expect to see a similar back line against Brechin the morn.

Yay. :-[

That's even after him saying that Duff wasn't a full back.  Fucking frightening.  But amazingly, we've finished every season under Calderwood strongly, and that's in spite of his fucking ridiculous tactical decisions.  Have to say though, it does make me wonder what could have been...

I  do think with Calderwood that is is all about the results and where we are at the end of the season that matters. What doesnt seem to matter to Calderwood is HOW we accomplish this.  He keeps saying we will be playing, open, attacking fitba, but apart from the last 45 of Copo, I never saw evidenve of that.  He sets out his team to churn and grind out results.

There is no denying that a 4-0 reverse at Peterhead is terrible with a so-called "strong team", but in the bigger scheme of things it could turn out to be a blessing, a wake up call if you will.

Try a couple of new things against a lower league team in a friendly, take a hammering and realise that certain players can't play together?

Try a couple of new things against Inverness Caledonian Thistle on day 1, take a hammering and realise that certain players can't play together?

I can vividly remember the reaction to being humbled by Hartlepool a few years back.  This is no different really.  Still plenty of time for the Dons to get it right before the serious business starts.

With all due respect phil.

We have tried these things before and they continue to fail, we all knew what was going to happen at peterhead once that team was announced.

Heres a cunning plan that might fox the opposition how about we try for a couple of games at least to play players in their strongest positions.

Try maguire and miller upfront as it looks like we are going to need maguire this season.

Try mackie on the bench - see how he fits into that role  :thumbsup:

With all due respect phil.

We have tried these things before and they continue to fail, we all knew what was going to happen at peterhead once that team was announced.

Heres a cunning plan that might fox the opposition how about we try for a couple of games at least to play players in their strongest positions.

Try maguire and miller upfront as it looks like we are going to need maguire this season.

Try mackie on the bench - see how he fits into that role  :thumbsup:

i wouldnt even have mackie on the bench. i'd loan him out to Nairn.

Maguire's development as a striker is being hampered as jimmy persisits with Mackie.

JC should have known what the rest of us has known for abput a year now. Mair, Foster, Mackie and Duff are shit.

i wouldnt even have mackie on the bench. i'd loan him out to Nairn.

Maguire's development as a striker is being hampered as jimmy persisits with Mackie.

JC should have known what the rest of us has known for abput a year now. Mair, Foster, Mackie and Duff are shit.

I'd agree with that apart from the Duff part. Duff has turned in some good performances in the middle of the park and I think he'll be a decent squad player for that position, NOT in defense!

I'd agree with that apart from the Duff part. Duff has turned in some good performances in the middle of the park and I think he'll be a decent squad player for that position, NOT in defense!

The situation looks to be identical to touzani's, then by the time we finally get the guy playing well in midfield he's shunted out the door  :wave: