Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Peterheid v Aberdeen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's more like it min.  :thumbsup:

Looks like I was spot on as well. Friendly or not no Aberdeen should be getting beat 4-0 by Peterhead. Absolute disgrace and players better get a roasting from the management team for this. Bit that concerns me the most is the lack of goals. Looks like midfield pairing of McDonald and Kerr is not creating anything for our strikers. May need to put Sevie back in there.

Mackie should have done better when released through the middle, but was crowded out forcing him to slip in Maguire, who shot high and wide of the target.

Mackie was the man getting in the best positions for the Dons, but when he was presented with a one-on-one with Paul Jarvie, his tame effort was saved by the feet of the goalkeeper.

Mackie's attempt at a bicycle kick went in completely the wrong direction.

Oh surprise fucking surprise

:hammer:

When was the last time you can recall an aberdeen player scoring from a one on one with the keeper?

The bottom line is that to be any sort of successful you need to build from the back. Fixing the defence is always a first priority yet since Anderson left we have been shocking at the back. Then we lost Hart, arguably the next best defender. Until we sign a central defender and right back we'll always struggle. 58 goals conceded in the league last year and it won't improve with the current group.

He's not the guy who picked a peck of pickled peppers, is he? 

:lolabove:

-----------

Reading this thread ... more and more in disbelief initially until realisation fought it's way through the alcohol induced haze! ... eventually my brain registered the fact that we really had been gubbed by Peterheid - and it wasn't a wind up  :hammer:

That result is a fucking disgrace, and I know where I'd stick the 'It's only a friendly' excuses!.

With the lack of depth we have in the squad - a few injuries, add suspensions, then throw what's left into the tombola - realistically that could be the team we have to play sometime soon  :o

Getting myself annoyed again!!  :hammer:

Im defining one on one as a situation in which you are clear and have the option of going round the keeper, chipping him, stiking it under him etc.

Having thought about it the last time I remember a dons player doing this was May 2006 when John stewart scored against celtic on the last day of the season.

In every other 'one on one' situation ive seen since then our striker has always hit it straight at the keepers legs  :hammer:

The bottom line is that to be any sort of successful you need to build from the back. Fixing the defence is always a first priority yet since Anderson left we have been shocking at the back. Then we lost Hart, arguably the next best defender. Until we sign a central defender and right back we'll always struggle. 58 goals conceded in the league last year and it won't improve with the current group.

Like the rest of you when I got a text about this at midnight from sheep_shagger I presumed he was pissed and confused. Preseason or not this is an absolutely unacceptable disgrace

Getting a horrible feeling of deja vu about this pre season.  Last year we lost Anderson, never replaced him with a new signing and spent about 8months trying to work out the best partnership at the back.  If I remember correctly we played a different back 4 in every pre-season game last year, and it looks like we are going the same way this season.  Mair and Considine was clearly going to be a disaster, and hopefully JC has realised this too (at last) and acknowledges the fact that if we lose Zander and Seve we are completely fucked (and tbh we're not great with them either).  A new CB is an absolute priority and if he is not in place before Aug 9th then I'll have serious concerns.  But regardless of any new siging, injury permitting, we need to play the same back 5 in every game we can to build some kind of confidence between now and ICT on the 9th.

The other recurring problem is the lack of fire power up front but I'll excuse them lack of match fitness and say it's still early in preseason.

Finally it is easy to go over board, and perhaps I have too, but for Peterhead this was probably the biggest game they'll have till the buisness end of the season.  Lots of ex-dandies with points to prove too, and didn't they do well.

In the cup game? JDV at Pittodrie, surely?

Was that a 1 on 1?

No there was another game where we were 2-0 down and Mackie scored a 1 on 1 with Boruc and put it through his legs I think. I think it was earlier in the season.

Reds are rocked by Blue battlers

Peterhead pulverise Dons

Peterhead 4 Aberdeen 0

By Charlie Allan

Published: 19/07/2008

MY BALL: Gary McDonald and Neil McVitie fight for possession.

More Pictures

THIS was shocking, totally unacceptable stuff from awful Aberdeen.

There is often a danger of over-reacting to results in pre-season friendly matches.

But Peterhead didn’t beat the Dons, they pulverised them.

It’s the Blue Toon’s first win over a full-strength Dons side.

Embarrassingly, it should have been by a lot more.

The standard of Aberdeen’s defending was worse than it was when they lost to Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup.

Peterhead pair Martin Bavidge and Craig Gunn dragged Lee Mair and Andrew Considine all over the place.

The Dons also lost the midfield, where Neil McVitie – one of several in the Peterhead side they released – excelled.

Even worse, the SPL side rarely looked like breaking their pre-season scoring duck, despite the fact veteran Peterhead skipper Bobby Mann looks as if he has been following the same fitness programme as me.

You could hardly blame the Dons fans who made the trek up to Balmoor looking for signs of hope for next season for marching out in disgust.

I’m unable to write the comments fired in my direction by some of those fans.

Suffice to say they aren’t willing to sit back and accept being short-changed like this again.

I’m sure the Dons will be fine once the real stuff starts but they must also remember the club’s reputation is at stake in these sort of games as well.

Peterhead posted their intent as early as the first minute, when Aberdeen’s French keeper Bertrand Bossu was forced to make a brilliant save to tip a 12-yard shot from Bavidge over his crossbar.

The Dons defence was carved open like a hot knife through butter when the Blue Toon went ahead in the 18th minute.

McVitie’s long pass reached GUNN and Mair backing off gave the former Ross County man all the space he needed to squeeze his shot from the edge of the area under Bossu and into the net.

The second came after Peterhead winger Graeme Sharp had tormented Dons full-back Stuart Duff out on the left.

Sharp’s low cross was met perfectly by BAVIDGE, who gave Bossu no hope with a side-footer from 16-yards.

The introduction of Lee Miller gave the Dons a wee bit more bite in attack but the Second Division men continued to dominate and their third was among the best goals I’ve ever seen.

Big Bobby MANN got his full weight behind a stunning 35-yard free-kick that almost ripped the net out after flying past the startled Bossu.

Peterhead completed the humiliation right at the death when the Dons defence parted like the Red Sea to allow Konrad KOZMINSKI to race through the middle of the park and bundle a shot past the unprotected Bossu.

It’s worrying to see a virtually full-strength Dons squad brushed aside with such ease.

The only good thing is they still have three weeks – and seven games – to sort themselves out.

The fans still have a right to expect a bit more pride in the jerseys though, no matter the calibre of the game.

PETERHEAD: Jarvie (Kula 77), Donald, Moore, Mann, Skinner (D Munro 70), McVitie, Sharp, Gunn (Kozminski 75), Bavidge (Bagshaw 82), Anderson (Cowie 75), McKay (H Munro 70).

ABERDEEN: Bossu, Duff (S Smith 46), Foster, Kerr, Mair, Considine, De Visscher (Pawlett 70), McDonald (Stewart 70), Mackie, J Smith (Miller 46), McGuire (Young 46).

Thon Charlie Allan doesn't half write a lot of pish.

What was pish in that article?

Always heard good things about McVittie (amongst others) yet we punt them.

Meanwhile we are struggling to sign enough players so JC start talking about promoting youth from within.  Youth players that are presumably less experienced than the lads we let go this summer.

hmmmmmm

More experience, less talent?

You would not class Seve/Diamond/Mulgrew/Miller as part of a full strength Dons side?

Miller played - albeit 1 half, Mulgrew has never played for Aberdeen so I have know idea if he is going to be a regular or not, Severin and Diamond were injured. It is quite plausible that over the course of a season, these guys could be injured at the same time or there may be suspensions etc... If that does happen, then quite clearly we are fecked.