Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McNaughton: Aberdeen are paying the price of success

But it clearly states the first 3 earn the right to go through to the next round, we finished third so deserved to go through.

The structure of the UEFA cup is not the issue as that is a different argument.

Its part of the argument. If you can go through when you only win 1 game, lose 2 and draw 1 then its clear that the systems got problems, which is how we managed to get through.

Should just be straight knock out, so should the European cup get rid of the dross like liverpool early on instead of giving opertunitys to teams who arnt good enough and dont deserve to be there.

I dont mind the Champions League, but it should be champions only, and I can hardly remember when Liverpool last won the league, although it would be quite refreshing if they did.  :thumbsup:

Its part of the argument. If you can go through when you only win 1 game, lose 2 and draw 1 then its clear that the systems got problems, which is how we managed to get through.

Of course its a different argument. You said we didnt deserve to get through which in my opinion is wrong. All the teams knew before it started how you qualified for the next round. We qualified, Moscow and Copenhagen didnt. Thats because we deserved to qualify from that group.

The UEFA cup and the Champions League have got ridiculous because its all about making money for the rich clubs. A new format is definitely required.

1 win in 8 games in the whole tournament says otherwise. We benefited from a stupid set-up, thats all.

We qualified from the set up that exists.

What do you want AFC to do? Qualify from a series of imaginary set ups that satisfy your idea of fairness that allows only "deserving" teams to progress?

To my mind the set up actually allows teams like ours that opportunity to get a wee taste of the big stuff.

Same as finishing 4th in the league. Dafties suggest we didn't deserve it. We did. We got the necessary points. Same as Europe.