Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs hearts

Great win, poor performance. Scrambled a win against a Hearts side who didn't come out for the second half at all.

Second half we looked a bit hungrier in midfield and the long balls weren't quite so frequent so we got up the park a bit more.

I still thought we looked poor though, even with the chances being created. Always looked a bit ragged but Hearts defending was chronic, which I didn't see coming because they looked so well organised in the first half.

Miovski left unmarked for the equaliser, good finish from a tight angle though. And Duk shows why he's still a massive player for us (although I'm still not sure if he meant to pass it or if that was a shot).

A historic day in that we got to see Morris beat a man and put in a cross (was our best move of the day, Duk should score), but he was woeful again. Let's not let the win overshadow that. He does though give us some width, but the very few things he does okay are outweighed by the things he does wrong.

Sorry for the negativity after a win, but we've just won in the 93rd minute and yet I'm fuming at our performance. 

Edited by Panda

Managed to head back to the car in time to miss the winner 😎

First 20 mins we were chronic,the deserved boos were for the pussy footing about at the back,and hoofing the ball...again.Goal woke us up and the intensity and creativity improved,and we got glimpses of what were capable of.It was messy at times,possibly because weve got out of the habit of playing like that,but you'd hope Robson could see the difference to take note.

Hearts were mediocre,only grew into it because we started so meekly.An unusual line up from us,Milne had a quiet game.Johnny gives me the fear at L/B,normally a bit reckless,but he had a good game.

Confuses things with Robson a bit though,not sure its enough to turn the tide against him,we'll see

19 minutes ago, Panda said:

Great win, poor performance. Scrambled a win against a Hearts side who didn't come out for the second half at all.

Second half we looked a bit hungrier in midfield and the long balls weren't quite so frequent so we got up the park a bit more.

I still thought we looked poor though, even with the chances being created. Always looked a bit ragged but Hearts defending was chronic, which I didn't see coming because they looked so well organised in the first half.

Miovski left unmarked for the equaliser, good finish from a tight angle though. And Duk shows why he's still a massive player for us (although I'm still not sure if he meant to pass it or if that was a shot).

A historic day in that we got to see Morris beat a man and put in a cross (was our best move of the day, Duk should score), but he was woeful again. Let's not let the win overshadow that. He does though give us some width, but the very few things he does okay are outweighed by the things he does wrong.

Sorry for the negativity after a win, but we've just won in the 93rd minute and yet I'm fuming at our performance. 

Likewise, hate to be negative but we are horrible. Better second half and for some the win papers over our clear flaws. Robson is clearly not the guy to take us forward. Our squad balance is shit too and I’m so over this 3-5-2.

what the fuck with line up today, it’s not squad rotation, what are we trying to do with sokler and Macdonald? Why play a center mid/central defender at right wing back. Good way to fuck up a kid.

our midfield is poor. Very little link play between mids and forwards, still so much long ball.

duk today showed he’s a good sub to have. Come on with fresh legs and speed and try hard. Did his job.

morris is the worst player I’ve even seen play for us. Despite the one cross for the duk header I think he’s so bad.

good win but we’re not an enjoyable watch most games. 

10 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Likewise, hate to be negative but we are horrible. Better second half and for some the win papers over our clear flaws. Robson is clearly not the guy to take us forward. Our squad balance is shit too and I’m so over this 3-5-2.

what the fuck with line up today, it’s not squad rotation, what are we trying to do with sokler and Macdonald? Why play a center mid/central defender at right wing back. Good way to fuck up a kid.

our midfield is poor. Very little link play between mids and forwards, still so much long ball.

duk today showed he’s a good sub to have. Come on with fresh legs and speed and try hard. Did his job.

morris is the worst player I’ve even seen play for us. Despite the one cross for the duk header I think he’s so bad.

good win but we’re not an enjoyable watch most games. 

Not a massive fan of Morris, but he wouldn't even make the top ten of worst players I have seen play for us.

Your a lucky lad to have not witnessed the dross I have over the years.

Sure MBT and other elder posters would agree😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Not a massive fan of Morris, but he wouldn't even make the top ten of worst players I have seen play for us.

Your a lucky lad to have not witnessed the dross I have over the years.

Sure MBT and other elder posters would agree😉

I’m 50, been watching is since 82. He’s god awful!! Makes Darren Mackie look like Messi. Just because he has pace doesn’t make him a player. 

That was a fun one. Other than the weird setup with Milne and Devlin (I'm assuming Devlin was there to mark Lowry?), the lineup was good. McGrath ahead of Shinnie and Clarkson as things should be. Sokler and Miovski trying to form a partnership. But we were absolutely honking in that first half. Second to everything, McGrath nowhere near the front two, who were chasing shadows and Hayes having a nightmare, with nobody tackling at the back. The second was hugely better, and the only thing that changed was application. Jensen started attacking the ball, Hayes and Shinnie chased down everything and turned the ball over constantly and McGrath was excellent behind the front two. Everyone just worked harder, basically, and that's all that it takes to win these types of games. 

I'd stick with Duk on the bench for the final, he's a great option to bring on. Once he gets his arse in front of a defender, he's virtually unstoppable. Interesting that @Panda thought he didn't mean the pass to Clarkson. I said to my mate that he didn't once glance in that direction and I was shocked when he squared it, it was very well disguised. I think it was deliberate though, it's just that everything he does looks accidental.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I’m 50, been watching is since 82. He’s god awful!! Makes Darren Mackie look like Messi. Just because he has pace doesn’t make him a player. 

Never said it did, and again I'm not a fan but seriously if you think he is the worst you've seen in an Aberdeen shirt you must have been asleep for a number of years. Without even thinking here's one for starters

Myles Anderson

59 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Darren Mackie was alright, he just didn't have the finish to match.

But Morris playing aread of Or Dadia surely makes Dadia the worst Aberdeen player of all time.

28 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I'd stick with Duk on the bench for the final, he's a great option to bring on. Once he gets his arse in front of a defender, he's virtually unstoppable. Interesting that @Panda thought he didn't mean the pass to Clarkson. I said to my mate that he didn't once glance in that direction and I was shocked when he squared it, it was very well disguised. I think it was deliberate though, it's just that everything he does looks accidental.

Now, you've misquoted me, I didn't say he didn't mean to pass it, I said I didn't know if it meant to pass it.

Wars have been started for less.

But I'm not surprised to hear Duk was just being his brilliant self. I've only seen it once and was watching it on my phone, so hard to judge.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Panda said:

Now, you've misquoted me, I didn't say he didn't mean to pass it, I said I didn't know if it meant to pass it.

Wars have been started for less.

But I'm not surprised to hear Duk was just being his brilliant self. I've only seen it once and was watching it on my phone, so hard to judge.

Yes, I was agreeing with you, I'm not sure if he meant to pass it. The consensus on sportscene just now was that he was trying to lift it over the keeper, and I think they're probably right. I'm not sure he could even see Clarkson to be honest. Still great play and deserved his luck.

Mediocre first half but we certainly were not dominated by hearts at any point really.  Excellent second half I thought though, every one just upped a gear and really wanted it. I do agree hearts shat it a bit but we were well worth the win in the end.  I actually thought Morris looked quite handy when he came on. 

Big win.