Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs hearts

I’d like to see sokler back for this game, as well as Barron. Macdonald should keep his place as Rubi will absolutely get sent off against hearts. Lose this and 13 points behind will be a tall order. 

out

bed

bed

Gardening if the Wellington summer has actually started 😬

2-0 hearts, no dons scorer.

Really have to start winning as cannot afford to go any further behind Hearts. Very difficult to see us making up 13 points on Hearts if we lose. Also need to start getting away from the bottom of the table. Barron has to start in midfield as we look a better team when he plays. Would also have Sokler back to partner Miovski. However have no idea what Robson to do other than bring back McGarry for Hayes. Hearts looked decent against Tribute Act mid week and expect this to be a difficult game. 

Oot.

flat 

local game

daughters Christmas show

0-2 no dons scorer

I don't get the hype with Sokler to be honest. Would stick with Duk who is a far better player and more likely to score.

Start Barron and Clarkson. Start MacDonald. Fuck it, start Williams and drop Jensen.

Lose and Robson... well, nothing. I fully expect him to be at the agm on Monday talking about the European games and how we've been unlucky, and Cormack to tell us the stadium is five years away.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

I don't get the hype with Sokler to be honest. Would stick with Duk who is a far better player and more likely to score.

Start Barron and Clarkson. Start MacDonald. Fuck it, start Williams and drop Jensen.

Lose and Robson... well, nothing. I fully expect him to be at the agm on Monday talking about the European games and how we've been unlucky, and Cormack to tell us the stadium is five years away.

The hype isn't really about Sokler. It's about having a striker who makes intelligent runs, watches what the other guy is doing and adjusts his game accordingly. Duk is a far better individual player and more likely to score, you're right. The issue is that he often doesn't score, and when he doesn't he's effectively a drag on the side. I have no doubt he'll come tanking back 80 yards to make a tackle on the edge of his own box, to shouts of DUKKK!!, then two minutes later he'll let an opponent wander away from him as he stares at the ball. He's unreliable as a team player. 

Barron and Clarkson could start together if Robson is willing to go with the 4-2-3-1 again. Clarkson in front of Barron and Shinnie. I'd be very skeptical of McGrath maintaining his position on the left of a three, I think he'd get drawn towards Clarkson, but it would be interesting at least. The only other option to start them both is to drop McGrath, which would be harsh. Either way, it wouldn't fucking matter, as Robson would insist on playing one of them as a number six with Shinnie in front. 

I think he'll simply switch Barron in for Clarkson and play the same shite as Wednesday and be surprised it doesn't work. Probably take Rubezic back in too, for reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panda said:

I’d like to see the stats for this season on that one, duk hasn’t scored many this season despite his game time. But as I said, genuinely be intrigued in the stats as gut feel is that sokler would be similar?

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

I’d like to see the stats for this season on that one, duk hasn’t scored many this season despite his game time. But as I said, genuinely be intrigued in the stats as gut feel is that sokler would be similar?

Duk: four goals. That's a goal every 313 minutes.

Sokler: one goal. That's a goal every 365 minutes.

8 hours ago, manc_don said:

Wow, Sokler has played that many minutes?! Genuinely didn't think so, so your point stands 👍

There are minutes and there are minutes though. Duk has been given starts, and in his preferred position every time. Sokler has been played out wide, behind the front one or two, part of a front three (with Gueye) and so on. Often after we'd taken off all our best players too. His first start in what I'd call his proper role would have been the Huns game. Duk has had starts and played 60+ minutes several times and had multiple chances. Sokler's chances are coming once or twice at most in 15-20 minute spells on the park. Like Duk (less so) and Miovski, Sokler strikes me as the type who might need a couple of chances before he converts one. But positionally he's very good and makes intelligent runs.

• Like 1

I've had far too many texts from my jambo mates pretending they actually think that their dismal run at Pittodrie will continue - will be raging if we lose our record but after watching the Killie shambles I'm quite fearful we will!!

Do not want see Hayes in the starting line-up - do want to see Barron 

1 hour ago, Goldie03 said:

I've had far too many texts from my jambo mates pretending they actually think that their dismal run at Pittodrie will continue - will be raging if we lose our record but after watching the Killie shambles I'm quite fearful we will!!

Do not want see Hayes in the starting line-up - do want to see Barron 

I would say Hayes and Barron play different positions. I expect McGarry to come in for Hayes today. Barron should be coming in for one of Clarkson or McGrath but don’t think he will play. 

Be interesting to see where Milne plays. Centre of back three, to the right of the three, wing back with Devlin in the three, right back as part of a four, or even in midfield with Devlin at right back?

Surprised at MacDonald being dropped, but it could be his fitness isn't quite 100%.

I'm off today, decided against going up for it, and the work link the game is on is on a different channel than I'm able to access from home, so if anyone has a stream I'll take it.

Sorry, but what the fuck is Robson doing?? Duk and sokler switched again, no ruby or Macdonald?? Inconsistent selections and formations will always get you inconsistent performances. Then again we have pretty much been consistently shite…

Milne is a holding midfielder that played right wing back recently. Now we have him devlin and gartenmann all starting. No clue what formation or positions…..

1 minute ago, OrlandoDon said:

Milne is a holding midfielder that played right wing back recently. Now we have him devlin and gartenmann all starting. No clue what formation or positions…..

The more I think about it, the more I think Milne could be in midfield but dropping into defence to make it a three.

That would allow Shinnie and Clarkson to press higher up the pitch which Robson likes. 

Last time we played Hearts, we played aimless long balls. If we play that way again we may as well just cut our losses and give them the points after 20 minutes.

Why is Shinnie marking Shankland at that corner? He should do better, but stick a defender on their number nine, not Shinnie.

That apart, two teams who are playing poorly, but Hearts look organised defensively, we've ran out of ideas already how to get back into this.