Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

ECL Dons vs Helsinki

There were still some 2,000 tickets available yesterday, so hopefully they’ve now been shifted. This is probably our winnable game if we can call it that. At home and confidence is good. Do we set up the same as the county game rather than huns? I’d suggest yes, but I’ve no real idea of the opposition. Hopefully we see a bit more of Sokler, needs to get the opportunity to start shining, not that I think we should be dropping miovski for him.

anyway, hoping for a decent turn out, was a decent package the club put out.

out

bed

work

work

2-0 dons, miovski and barron

I would expect Helsinki to sit in so we will have to approach the game the same way we did in the games against county rather than Saturday’s formation. Would expect Barron to replace Polvara in midfield. Duk maybe to come in for Clarkson or McGrath. Worth a lot of money to the club if we can win this one. 

oot

Euro Disney

Hopefully a sports bar that has TNT

Hotel

2-0 Miovski and Duk

As Elgin don said, not sure what to expect. They have a squad of mostly Finnish players, and while they are top of their league, how good is that?? Don’t see any Brazilian or Eastern European studs, even a top player like hacken had. Let’s have a go and get a win! Confidence is high from the weekend, looking forward to this.

I honestly think we’re a better team without duk, felt this was at this point last year too. Duk went on a tear hence we built a team around him, but I think we play the same formation as the Huns game but be more attack minded. Get Mackenzie and devlin to push up and give us width, and play McGrath close to miovski. 

3-1, miovski, McGrath, Jensen.

The thing with the Ibrox formation is it's a counter attacking one. It's also slower, which Robson has maybe learned we need to be away from home and that his plan to overwhelm teams with quick passing football doesn't work against the better teams.

I don't know how good Helsinki are, but I expect being at home we'll revert back to the 3-4-1-2 that we used v Ross County.

Robson now has a welcome problem with who does he pick. Does Clarkson get dropped, does Barron start, do they both start and McGrath gets dropped? And all three are playing well at the moment. Been a while since I felt we had competition for places.

Harsh on Duk @OrlandoDon - he was excellent v Ross County (home). Dunno if you get to see it over there (it's geoblocked) but Sportscene isolated his performance in that game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Panda said:

The thing with the Ibrox formation is it's a counter attacking one. It's also slower, which Robson has maybe learned we need to be away from home and that his plan to overwhelm teams with quick passing football doesn't work against the better teams.

I don't know how good Helsinki are, but I expect being at home we'll revert back to the 3-4-1-2 that we used v Ross County.

Robson now has a welcome problem with who does he pick. Does Clarkson get dropped, does Barron start, do they both start and McGrath gets dropped? And all three are playing well at the moment. Been a while since I felt we had competition for places.

Harsh on Duk @OrlandoDon - he was excellent v Ross County (home). Dunno if you get to see it over there (it's geoblocked) but Sportscene isolated his performance in that game.

I see very little of us these days, sadly, my 4 and 7 year olds and two jobs ruin everything!

we looked really poor when we got significantly exposed earlier in the season, and looked really weak defensively. I think the extra midfielder has helped, obviously to the expense of duk. I also think domestically teams know duk now, shut down his speed and he’s limited. I hear you regarding Ross country, I just don’t know enough about Helsinki to know if they’ll sit in like a Ross county or try to come out and play like hacken. 

I’ve said this before, unlikely we stray from the 352 this squad was built around, but a 3-4-2-1, with McGrath and clarkson attacking behind miovski is an option, with Barron and shinnie deeper. Obviously Barron and clarkson can switch as I think both are better deeper.

Did we sell out in the end? This definitely a fixture both sides will be looking to win, so hopefully this set up will provide enough cover for the back line. Missing the game tonight due to travel to Auckland, hoping to see a good result at the end of it! COYR

Well that was a bit disappointing in the end. I thought we were building up a nice head of steam until Duk took that elbow to the head. The guy getting away with that was baffling, but ultimately I feel a bit like I did against Hacken in that we probably had the quality to beat them but couldn't make it click. 

Edited by DantheDon

If we'd shown the same urgency before they scored,and Barron had on,we might have had a different outcome.They were shaky first half,but grew into the more we pussy footed about.A lot more like it late second half, but too little too late.New experience for a lot of them,hopefully learn from it

Edited by Elgindon

We were falling to the deck way too much. I think they were hoping a foreign ref would fall for it, but so many moves broke down because of it.

Was a meh performance, draw probably a fair result. Helsinki knocked it around well and could have had a few as well.

Can’t say I’m too much of a fan of these long throws we get Jensen and Gartenmann to do but for some reason position the rest of the players further away than either player can throw. Think we got into double digits tonight doing that and failing. 

Thought we looked very lazy/tired tonight. Too much just standing about hoping for fortuitous breaks and desperate flicks rather than anyone taking responsibility for driving us forward. Shinnie one of the biggest culprits which I suspect is more through fatigue than lack of desire.

They looked very shaky at the back when we were a bit more direct and tried to play the ball in behind them through the channels and were more than happy to put the ball straight out for a throw-in in a dangerous position. Probably because they knew the long throw would go straight back to them I guess. 

Devlin also needs some cover too, he looked very leggy.