Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

ECL Dons vs Helsinki

That was honking tonight. Looked very tired and the game was crying out for subs (multiple, early). They dominated for about twenty minutes before they got their goal. Robson is so frustrating. There was simply no need to be playing Clarkson in that two behind McGrath, he's wasted there, as evidenced every single time it's been tried (fine as part of a four in a 5-4-1 before anyone mentions). Barron didn't play a huge role against the Hun, so get him in and let McGrath (best I've seen him tonight probably) and Clarkson be interchangeable for the ten role. It's criminal that he can't see it. Ironically, as soon as we took Barron on we preceded to push both Shinnie and McGrath forward and let Barron play the number six role that Clarkson thrives in. 

Duk was terrible tonight and I can't believe he lasted ninety minutes. Lazy, reactive football and offering zero outlet whatsoever. Probably one of his worst games for us and should have been hooked at the same time as Clarkson. Throwing himself to the ground constantly wore thin about six months ago. He takes so much from the team when he's not on it just by being there - his unpredictability is more of a hindrance for his teammates than it is the opposition. Of course, the fans will see the times that he tanks back to make a challenge (usually quite reckless and usually a result of him losing the ball) and think that he's putting in a shift, but then the next three time he just lets the player go, so the others have to have a constant eye on him. It's clear when he's off it, so just remove in and keep him fresh for the weekend game. 

Miovski and McGrath probably the two that performed well tonight and Barron when he came on. Fantastic finish from Miovski after a lovely flick on from their player (the only way we were scoring). 

We did not really get started until about 70 minutes in, a real lack of intensity and the midfield were non existent until that point.  It was all very predictable stuff from us, hopeful balls into the box. Sorry but still don't get the hype about Shinnie, he should have been taking a game like that by the scruff of the neck.  I could sit in front of three centre halves and make a two yard pass to the left back, I am expecting a bit more from him than that.  Barron made a massive difference and did more in his time than Clarkson had done in the previous hour.  

Not sure why we needed five defenders on the pitch last night, it was as if we were wasting a player in that first half having so many men behind the ball.  Class finish from Miovski but Duk had to bury that one on one.

I believe we collected 166,000 euros for the point gained which is something like £143,000 pounds sterling.

I know we got £2.5 million or near about for just being in Group stage but is £140K really going to help the club coffers and if so could that amount be something that covers the plane journey cost to Frankfurt?

10 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Sorry but still don't get the hype about Shinnie, he should have been taking a game like that by the scruff of the neck. 

You mean like he did at Ibrox? It was a lot to ask to be as intense in two consecutive games, and when your manager doesn't recognise that and plays two number tens alongside you, it really doesn't help. He's been asked to do far too much this season already, and it was the same last night. Shinnie is meant to break the game up, be aggressive I'm the tackle, win the ball back and generally spur the team on. Someone else has to do the pretty stuff, as Barron did when he came on. If you're expecting more from Shinnie then it's no surprise that you don't get the hype. Next you'll be questioning the fuss around Devlin, despite the fact that he's not completed a single seventy yard cross field pass or even connected with a bicycle kick.

17 hours ago, SeeBass said:

I believe we collected 166,000 euros for the point gained which is something like £143,000 pounds sterling.

I know we got £2.5 million or near about for just being in Group stage but is £140K really going to help the club coffers and if so could that amount be something that covers the plane journey cost to Frankfurt?

+ large crowd (tickets,hospitality merchandise, food, drink, halftime draw etc).

Im assuming season tickets werent valid so allowing for expenses/ costs club might have earned 300-400k on top of the 143k 'prize money'

On 09/08/2023 at 21:37, SeeBass said:

I honestly couldn't care less how much we might earn from this.  Money has ruined football which is probably why I've lost a lot of love for the game.  We're not in it to make big bucks we're in it to do as well as we can on the pitch.

18 hours ago, SeeBass said:

IMG_2203.gif.4b8c812ee9a239fffaad7c709b63b072.gif

6 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

We'll just need to reschedule the fixtures so that every week when we play twice, our second game of the week is against a shite team so Shinnie can take it easy 😀

Or have the manager understand that playing him alongside Clarkson in a two, or further forward, will require him to use twice as much energy, so don't do it.

12 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Or have the manager understand that playing him alongside Clarkson in a two, or further forward, will require him to use twice as much energy, so don't do it.

There are three central midfielders in there though Rico, which should be ample against a team like Helsinki or playing against your average SPL side. McGrath is not exactly playing up front albeit he is the furthest forward of the three.

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

There are three central midfielders in there though Rico, which should be ample against a team like Helsinki or playing against your average SPL side. McGrath is not exactly playing up front albeit he is the furthest forward of the three.

It's been proven every time we've tried it this season that it doesn't work, regardless of who we're playing. Clarkson doesn't play well in a two and neither does McGrath. Clarkson sitting on his own would require two that cover the ground in front like Shinnie and Ramadani. Options are two from Shinnie, Polvara and Barron sitting with one of Clarkson in front. Or the flat four or 2-2 we can play against better teams. If we replace Ramadani in January then we can reconsider the two ahead of Clarkson or Barron. However, that was never about strength in attack, it was about protecting Clarkson so he could make the passes and going direct in the knowledge that we were winning every second ball high up the pitch. The wings are where we have the real option to play higher up the pitch or not though, and guys like McKenzie at home against Helsinki is not the right call.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, afclewisafc said:

How's everyone getting to Helsinki for the game?
I've seen Worldchoice Sports are doing a charter direct from aberdeen to Helsinki. Probably be worth a go!

Edinburgh > Helsinki (Wed morning)

Helsinki > Stansted > Edinburgh (Friday afternoon/evening)

4 hours ago, BigAl said:

Edinburgh > Helsinki (Wed morning)

Helsinki > Stansted > Edinburgh (Friday afternoon/evening)

The game's been moved to the Friday night due to the annual reindeer conference being held in Helsinki on the Thursday. Which is live on sky.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

The game's been moved to the Friday night due to the annual reindeer conference being held in Helsinki on the Thursday. Which is live on sky.

You beauty, always fancied attending that.

Football become irrelevant in light of that development 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OxfordDon said:

Looks like tickets have already sold out, nae luck min.

Indeed O.D and I would have been left disappointed had it not been for the swift actions of Mr Rico in drawing my attention to to it.

Fortunately tickets secured 

Apparently the conference is being opened by a celebrity

I've heard it's going to be Beyon-Sleigh 😉

• Like 1