Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs county

The first of two probable make or break games for robson. There were definite positive signs on Thursday but I think they played a game that suited us, I.e slow. Most spfl teams aren’t like that and will force the mistakes that lead to goals. Haven’t seen any of county this season but they’ve obviously started the season better than us and have managed to get some good results. Don’t think this’ll be as easy as has been mooted elsewhere. I’d like to see duk on the bench again, still needs a kick up the rear. Hopefully miovski isn’t actually injured?

out

bed

bed

bed 

1-1, miovski

Formation we played on Thursday will not be effective on Sunday as County will also sit in and look to hit on the break. McKenzie looked far more defensively sound than McGarry but expect Robson to start McGarry for attacking threat. Barron should start to allow Clarkson to play further forward. Agree with Manc that Duk should remain on the bench. Hopefully we don’t just punt the ball long again as that will be playing into County’s hands. 

In

Pub

Y

Train back to capital. 

1-0 Clarkson

35 minutes ago, Panda said:

IMG_1754.thumb.png.7bdfd4350e752149dd3251ef5998939f.png

Myself and @RicoS321 held a zoom call with Barry Robson this morning and we've agreed on this for tomorrow.

We also discussed speeding up the pie queues and introducing Fish & couscous, and bratwurst mit kase, into the half-time selection, after some European scouting this week.

Impressive. Although miovski’s pic doesn’t do him justice.

Would like to see this line up with Barron and polvara, and we try to play through midfield, although it’s 4 center mids who may close the space and get in each others way.

think Hayes will get a run off the bench, not an effective starter any more.

3-1 us, clarkson miovski, and one of our new defenders with a bullet header from a set piece.

Thinking more I really hope we do take a different approach to this one. Playing in Europe allows us to play more to our strength which is defend/counter but the majority of Scottish games opponents sit in and let us dictate. It can’t get much worse so far, bar the Celtic game - which allowed us to play more of our counter attacking - we’ve been a woeful long ball team.

I’d be tempted to go for a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. Mcgarry and devlin have the legs to give us width from full back (when mcgarry is 100%) with back up from Hayes/Mackenzie and gartenmann/or dadia when they get gassed.

roos

Devlin gartenmann Jensen mcgarry

Clarkson

polvara shinnie

mcgrath 

miovski sokler

id even be tempted to push clarkson to a totally free role and play hayes in with shinnie and polvara.

it’s too early to experiment, got to be fair to Robson and give the time to gel a new team. We also went all in on 352 with the amount of defenders signed so hard to switch so soon despite results.

intriguing times but we need results.

6 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Thinking more I really hope we do take a different approach to this one. Playing in Europe allows us to play more to our strength which is defend/counter but the majority of Scottish games opponents sit in and let us dictate. It can’t get much worse so far, bar the Celtic game - which allowed us to play more of our counter attacking - we’ve been a woeful long ball team.

I’d be tempted to go for a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. Mcgarry and devlin have the legs to give us width from full back (when mcgarry is 100%) with back up from Hayes/Mackenzie and gartenmann/or dadia when they get gassed.

roos

Devlin gartenmann Jensen mcgarry

Clarkson

polvara shinnie

mcgrath 

miovski sokler

id even be tempted to push clarkson to a totally free role and play hayes in with shinnie and polvara.

it’s too early to experiment, got to be fair to Robson and give the time to gel a new team. We also went all in on 352 with the amount of defenders signed so hard to switch so soon despite results.

intriguing times but we need results.

Issue with that is mcgarry is not as good in a four as apposed to a five. His defensive side is easily the weakest part of his play.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

Issue with that is mcgarry is not as good in a four as apposed to a five. His defensive side is easily the weakest part of his play.

I’ve heard that, plus pretty sure he’s signed as the wing back in our 352, hence my comment about giving 352 time. But at the same time, most teams in our league don’t significantly attack us at home to put him under that kind of pressure, and we’re also not really talking top class opponents.

• Like 1

Amazing what we can do when we play the ball on the deck.

Shinnie was fantastic. Miovski such a clever player. Can see what it meant to Duk to score.

Seems very Aberdonian to have a criticism after a 4-0 win but last 20 minutes Ross County really should have scored one or two. I know we were in cruise control by then, but gives them some encouragement for Wednesday.

I think the performance in Frankfurt - even though we lost - was maybe just the wee kickstart to the season we needed. Get ourselves into the semis in midweek then have a crack against a fragile Rangers at Ibrox, who by all accounts were lucky to win today, and we're set up nicely for October when we have four of the five games at home.

Edited by Panda

Much better performance this week. Miovski is an outstanding striker. Took his goals well and great set up for Duk. Can see him being away in January at this rate in exchange for a shed load of money. Barron man of the match for me. Thought he controlled midfield. Looked like a potential long term injury to McGarry so assume we will be going with Hayes or McKenzie for next few weeks. 

Second game in a row where we actually made proper use of the subs. Maybe Robson is learning. 

Enjoyed that.Jensen and Gartenmann were both great.Aggresive,good positioning/timing,and make good use of the ball.Barron and Shinnie both excellent,and McGrath good too.Duk was back to winning/coming away with impossible balls,great to see him scoring,and Miovski with a deserved couple of goals.Makes you wonder what the Hearts performance was all about.

You'd hope its a springboard for Wed,and Saturday,lets see what happens...

Great to wake to 3 points and a solid performance, hopefully the shoots of recovery and improvement are there. How brown stayed on is beyond me. Surely it’ll be retrospectively upgraded? Won none of the ball and completely out of control. 

great to see miovski amongst the goals and assists, I’ll still maintain he would have scored that effort on Thursday 😉 hope we get the full season out of him but if it’s big bucks in Jan, hard to turn that down. That assist from jensen, obviously an attempt at goal but a solid effort nonetheless! Onwards and upwards!

Enjoyed that today. Great to sit through a game where we're set up properly from the start, and we're not watching multiple players in roles that they can't play. Shinnie and Barron as a two with McGrath in front. Rubezic a few yards ahead of Jensen and Gartenmann. The rest takes care of itself. Even better to see that when Clarkson came on, Robson didn't revert to playing him deep and pushing the others forward, he stuck with what was working and played Clarkson where McGrath was. He just needs to stick with that for a few games. If he thinks he needs more defensive protection then Polvara in for Duk. Sorted. Only minor criticism is that I'd like to see Sokler get some minutes alongside Duk, or Gueye some minutes alongside Miovski. Those are the guys that we'll be turning to when chasing a game, but I doubt we'd throw them both on together, so it'd be nice to see if one or other could form a partnership with the main strikers. They both looked a bit knackered though, so probably not possible. 

Difficult to pick out the top performers today, they all did well. Miovski was probably motm ahead of Shinnie and Barron. 

42 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Great to wake to 3 points and a solid performance, hopefully the shoots of recovery and improvement are there. How brown stayed on is beyond me. Surely it’ll be retrospectively upgraded? Won none of the ball and completely out of control. 

great to see miovski amongst the goals and assists, I’ll still maintain he would have scored that effort on Thursday 😉 hope we get the full season out of him but if it’s big bucks in Jan, hard to turn that down. That assist from jensen, obviously an attempt at goal but a solid effort nonetheless! Onwards and upwards!

I would hope so, definite red but didn’t var even look at it? Pretty sure both shinnie and Hayes have been sent off for similar. And we saw the scars/marks on Hayes leg, not like it was missed contact!

Edited by OrlandoDon