Author Topic: Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding  (Read 102089 times)

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 205
Re: Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding
« Reply #940 on: January 16, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »
Seems to be highly thought of, and likely to be signed for the same intentions like Ferguson was. Not expecting him to be in the first team soon, but that said, we thought that of Ferguson.

To be honest, whilst we can't fill the squad with untried youngster happy enough for us to be making signings such as this, where the cost is low and the risk similar.

It's almost like the Celtic model although on a lower scale and less international. I.E sign them up develop them and sell them on at a profit.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #941 on: January 16, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
To be honest, whilst we can't fill the squad with untried youngster happy enough for us to be making signings such as this, where the cost is low and the risk similar.

It's almost like the Celtic model although on a lower scale and less international. I.E sign them up develop them and sell them on at a profit.

Any idea what kind of central midfielder? Same as we have or the creative #10 type??

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 37
« Reply #942 on: January 18, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »
Just noticed Kennedy not in the St J squad for their game today.....I'd imagine so he isn't Cup-tied for us later on, so looks like we will be getting him in during this window,

Having said that...still no score against Dumbarton, loads of pressure and a dreadful miss by Anderson after 20 minutes or so.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 14
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #943 on: January 18, 2020, 09:36:45 PM »
McInnes confirms that New York Red Bulls are interested in Cosgrove, whilst confirming that he's trying to do a deal with St Johnstone for Kennedy in this window, as there has been encouragement from them, they want Devlin as part of the deal apparantly. Mark Gallagher will join from Ross County's development squad next week.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #944 on: January 19, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
I think it would be good for Devlin to move on just hasn't happened for him up here, but I still reckon there is a decent player in him.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #945 on: January 19, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
Devlin was flying until he got his injury whilst training with the Scotland squad. I don't think we ever got to the bottom of what actually happened but we were told he would miss a couple of games then didn't return until after the January break...and he was a shadow of the player he had previously been whenever he got picked (which was pretty sparingly even allowing for the fact Considine had done very well as his stand in).

It was even more bizarre that he kept getting picked for Scotland despite at that point being our 3rd choice centre back....although he did eventually get a reasonable amount of game time covering for injury/suspension to McKenna and Consi. Now 4th choice and unlikely to get much game time. He will be on a decent wage so if we could move him on I'm sure it would suit all parties. We could then look to the lower leagues for a young up-and-coming centre back for between £50-100k. If we paid that youngster say £1500/week the amount we would save on Devlin's wage alone which is more than double that figure means that the outlay would be recouped in not much more than a year....and we might just unearth a gem with a future sell on fee rather than losing Devlin to freedom of contract as we inevitably will when his current contract expires.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 76
« Reply #946 on: January 19, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
The problem with Devlin is that he's never been that good at football. Very similar to Reynolds in that regard. Reliable defensively, but not great with the ball. That meant he's been very easy to replace, with Taylor being not much worse as a player but stronger and more aggressive thus looking a better option. I'd move Devlin on swiftly if it meant getting Kennedy in early. We've got 3 options at centre back, 4 if Vyner returns this season. That's enough. What's the deal with hobban? Been a while since we signed an injury prone player.

Was just thinking about this earlier, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Taylor has been our best signing so far this season. Fucking hell. Certainly a toss up between him and Leigh. The only two I'd put straight in to the first eleven.

• Star Striker
« Reply #947 on: January 20, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »
What is the situation with Tommie Hoban? The latest a few Months ago was that he could be on way back here and we offered to help him regarding his Injury, I can't remember when he sustained the Injury and how long he'd be out for because of it.

He was released by Watford at the end of the 2018–19 season, and returned to Aberdeen to continue his rehabilitation.

That's according to Wikipedia, but was it confirmed that he actually did come back here?
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #948 on: January 20, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
What is the situation with Tommie Hoban? The latest a few Months ago was that he could be on way back here and we offered to help him regarding his Injury, I can't remember when he sustained the Injury and how long he'd be out for because of it.

He was released by Watford at the end of the 2018–19 season, and returned to Aberdeen to continue his rehabilitation.

That's according to Wikipedia, but was it confirmed that he actually did come back here?

It will be a year in the middle of next month since his injury.
Agree it has all gone very very quiet.
Surely it would be madness given he has done both cruciate ligaments on any basis other than pay as you play ?
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #949 on: January 20, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
He was offered rehab facilities with us but hasn't taken them up (at least as yet).

Some supporters thought he would be fit by November. However the only mention of November when he suffered the injury was that it would be the earliest he would be fit by. However there are absolutely no guarantees that he will ever be fit enough to resume his playing career and with us now 11 months down the line it's fair to assume his rehabilitation isn't going too well. My expectation is that he will quietly annonce his retirement sometime between Easter and mid summer but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Star Striker
« Reply #950 on: January 20, 2020, 03:09:48 PM »
Has there ever been a Player with similiar injuries who went on to have a decent career, Injury wise I mean?

For me personally, we'd be mental to pass up on him if he does get back to fitness, I agree some sort of pay per play deal would be preferred but the guy was easily our best defender in the games he played, he brought something that no-one else did, or still does, in that he was absolutely composed, didn't panic and hoof the ball away and could pick a pass, he was comfortable with both feet as well.

I thought he was excellent in his time here and really hope it works out for him.

Online Panda

• Under 21's
  • Rating: 8
« Reply #951 on: January 21, 2020, 02:26:47 AM »
He posted on Instagram at the end of October a photo of him playing for Aberdeen and said "soon be back out there", so don't think he's done for just yet. He may have had a set-back since then mind you or is just following a strict plan that doesn't see him back playing until summer.

But, and here's putting two and two together and getting yellow. He was liking all the messages anyone posted saying "good luck", "hope to see you back playing soon" etc, yet if anyone posted anything about coming back to Aberdeen (and plenty of Dons fans were doing just that) he peculiarly didn't like any of those posts. Yeh I know, I know.

I'm gonna guess he will play again, but not for Aberdeen. Probably at a very low level in England.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #952 on: January 21, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
As I predicted.....McInnes offered St Johnstone Main in exchange for Kennedy. And as predicted.....Tommy Wright told McInnes to ram it.

They want Devlin......

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #953 on: January 21, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
As I predicted.....McInnes offered St Johnstone Main in exchange for Kennedy. And as predicted.....Tommy Wright told McInnes to ram it.

They want Devlin......

Hopefully this means the end of Main, but still left wundering how we signed him in the first place.

• Star Striker
« Reply #954 on: January 21, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
https://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/squads/reserve-team/mark-gallagher/

Allegedly becoming an Aberdeen Player in the not too distant future.

Now officially a Dons Player.

• Star Striker
« Reply #955 on: January 21, 2020, 09:38:17 PM »
Hopefully this means the end of Main, but still left wundering how we signed him in the first place.

Correct, a fucking bonkers addition, he's rank rotten & should never have been signed.

You'll get the odd oddball that'll defend him, saying he's not getting service ( When played ) etc.... but if you look at his career stats, you'll see quite clealry that he's just not a good Player, simple as, and smacked of an utterly lazy signing. I hope he leaves, wether it's for Kennedy in this window, or just in general.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 77
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #956 on: January 22, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »

They want Devlin......

They can have him imo. He's turned to piss and a waste of a wage sitting on the bench. 

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #957 on: January 22, 2020, 01:02:26 AM »
Still think Devlin is better than Taylor. Not quite sure why Taylor seems the established central defender now, although if Leigh were fit the form two in the middle would be the two lefties.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -140
« Reply #958 on: January 22, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
Taylor is far mor physical than Devlin and he appears to be making less howlers, his performance v Morelos was very good he couldnt be bullied , Devlin is too lightweight
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #959 on: January 22, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »
Still think Devlin is better than Taylor. Not quite sure why Taylor seems the established central defender now, although if Leigh were fit the form two in the middle would be the two lefties.

Totally against the return of Taylor BUT impressions so far are that he looks more accomplished than his first time around. If he sticks to the basics he is ok, but oh my God, the distribution leaves an awful lot to be desired.
The Devlin we saw early doors last season made him look like a player but seems to have lost his way and never recovered the form of pre the injury he picked up with the Scotland squad
Steve warm his seat up