Author Topic: Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding  (Read 40518 times)

Offline redordead

• First Team
  • Rating: 6
Re: Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding
« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »
What is our system is a great question.

Last season I'm not even sure that the players knew. So far it looks like much of the same with new personnel.

I'm hoping that wright finally gets a run as he is for me the most creative player we have. I've also thought that Gallagher looks good from what I've seen.

For me the big issue is, do we bench Sam and try to play on the ground and create more with Wilson , wright, Gallagher and McLennan? All very mobile.Or do we hope that Sam will start winning long balls and rely on him to score all our goals again. A tactic that seen some of the worst football that I can remember last season. No slight to Sam as he hit the newel for a period.

Derek also clearly rates Main, I don't see where he fits in unless we go 2 up front. Does anybody else have an idea of how we will line up?  You'd expect Thursday to be an indicator.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 12
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
What is our system is a great question.

Last season I'm not even sure that the players knew. So far it looks like much of the same with new personnel.

I'm hoping that wright finally gets a run as he is for me the most creative player we have. I've also thought that Gallagher looks good from what I've seen.

For me the big issue is, do we bench Sam and try to play on the ground and create more with Wilson , wright, Gallagher and McLennan? All very mobile.Or do we hope that Sam will start winning long balls and rely on him to score all our goals again. A tactic that seen some of the worst football that I can remember last season. No slight to Sam as he hit the newel for a period.

Derek also clearly rates Main, I don't see where he fits in unless we go 2 up front. Does anybody else have an idea of how we will line up?  You'd expect Thursday to be an indicator.

The guy scored 21 goals last season.

And he's also far more effective when the ball is actually played to his feet. We should have Main or Wilson playing off of him, like we should have done with Stewart last season. Fuck Stewart though, he's not our player.

Cosgrove is, as it stands, our most effective forward, our manager just seems to enjoy punting the ball, something we didn't do, or certainly not as much, when we had a trio of Hayes, McGinn & Rooney.

It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #562 on: July 08, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
Frank Ross off to Ayr Utd on six month loan
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #563 on: July 08, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
Frank Ross off to Ayr Utd on six month loan

Will do him good as he needs game time. Looked decent at start of last season before he got injured.

Just noticed David Dangana also out on loan to Stranraer.

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #564 on: July 08, 2019, 09:02:20 PM »
Either the loan will do Ross good or prove that he isn’t up to it with us. He is that young any more so needs regular football somewhere.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #565 on: July 08, 2019, 11:00:27 PM »
Been unlucky with injury, but I don't think Frank Ross will make it like, he's nae quite got enough pace and I think that'll do it for a player in his position. Similar level to Cammy Smith in my opinion. Ethan Ross has the attributes to make it I reckon. If Frank could trick Ethan into going to Ayr instead of him, then he might get some game time before McInnes notices.

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 45
« Reply #566 on: July 09, 2019, 03:20:55 PM »
Should loan Stevie May to Cove until January so he can bang a few in down in league 2, also means he doesn’t have to move.
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Online Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #567 on: July 09, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
If he went to St J (or one of the Dundee clubs) he wouldn't really have to move either. Wherever he ends up I hope it works out well for the loon. It hasn't worked out for him with us but no one can ever question his attitude

• First Team Regular
« Reply #568 on: July 10, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
This Dylan McGeouch saga is dragging on. According to Richard Gordon last night, we have had an offer accepted for him.

Yesterday though, here is an article with Jack Ross, claiming he wants McGeouch to stay and claims McGeouch himself wants to stay.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-afc-news/jack-ross-reveals-the-latest-on-dylan-mcgeouchs-sunderland-future-451969

I know things change quickly in Football, but this is dragging on, I was told we had an offer for him accepted over a week ago, but he rejected our contract, which was a 4 year contract, then we tried to go down the Loan route, but would appear he's maybe had a change of heart and wants to come permanently.

I have a feeling we'll sign him one way or another, be it permanently or a loan, but I hope he's not holding us to ransom, maybe hoping someone else comes in for him or that.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline redordead

• First Team
  • Rating: 6
« Reply #569 on: July 10, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
McGeouch really doesn't excite me. I'm thinking that fergie and Bryson will play Defensive centre. Surely we have enough options to play behind the striker if DMC would make up his mind. Wright could play there, as could ean ever slowing McGinn, or Gallagher or God forbid we play Wilson off the striker where he can make runs.

What we need is a back up defensive CM. I thought that when bigrimana was released, that he was ideal and had given us a hard time in the past. Don't know why he never pushed on last season. Face didn't fit possibly.

Online Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #570 on: July 10, 2019, 02:17:59 PM »
I was against signing him last summer and when I heard we were after him again was totally underwhelmed. It's a strange situation all round, even his contract at Sunderland was only for 12 months but with either Sunderland or the player himself able to invoke a further 12 months if they wished to do so and I believe it was the club who chose to invoke it. I think it's quite obvious they were hoping to net themselves a fee by doing so, but McGeouch himself is now demanding that Sunderland cough up a percentage of this and Sunderland aren't playing ball. He is supposedly on £8k/week down there....I don't think we would stretch to that for him (I've no doubt we could just don't think we would in his case) which is why he will be wanting Sunderland to give him a pay-off. Why would he move to take a pay cut?

It's my belief he (or his agent) is using our interest to try to drum up further interest. I'm fairly certain he views us a last resort option. Just dont think he fancies moving up north. I think if Hibs matched our offer, as I don't doubt they could, he would jump at it assuming he could get Sunderland to give him a pay-off (or have the buying club give him a signing on fee to cover what he would lose out on wages wise). However the new Hibs boss supposedly isn't interested, so with the Old Infirm not likely to be interested either and Hearts equally unlikely to be interested, the only option for him is likely to be another English club or head abroad to maintain the level of wages he is expecting.

To my mind he has fucked us around once too often and we should be looking elsewhere, but DM sees something in him that I don't so wouldn't surprise me to see him signing on reluctantlyin a few weeks time once he realises he has no interest elsewhere. But I'm hoping we pull a rabbit out the fire in the interim and leave the baldy wee c@nt stewing for a year in the Sunderland reserves.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #571 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:28 PM »
I was against signing him last summer and when I heard we were after him again was totally underwhelmed. It's a strange situation all round, even his contract at Sunderland was only for 12 months but with either Sunderland or the player himself able to invoke a further 12 months if they wished to do so and I believe it was the club who chose to invoke it. I think it's quite obvious they were hoping to net themselves a fee by doing so, but McGeouch himself is now demanding that Sunderland cough up a percentage of this and Sunderland aren't playing ball. He is supposedly on £8k/week down there....I don't think we would stretch to that for him (I've no doubt we could just don't think we would in his case) which is why he will be wanting Sunderland to give him a pay-off. Why would he move to take a pay cut?

It's my belief he (or his agent) is using our interest to try to drum up further interest. I'm fairly certain he views us a last resort option. Just dont think he fancies moving up north. I think if Hibs matched our offer, as I don't doubt they could, he would jump at it assuming he could get Sunderland to give him a pay-off (or have the buying club give him a signing on fee to cover what he would lose out on wages wise). However the new Hibs boss supposedly isn't interested, so with the Old Infirm not likely to be interested either and Hearts equally unlikely to be interested, the only option for him is likely to be another English club or head abroad to maintain the level of wages he is expecting.

To my mind he has fucked us around once too often and we should be looking elsewhere, but DM sees something in him that I don't so wouldn't surprise me to see him signing on reluctantlyin a few weeks time once he realises he has no interest elsewhere. But I'm hoping we pull a rabbit out the fire in the interim and leave the baldy wee c@nt stewing for a year in the Sunderland reserves.

Do we really need players to be absolutely committed to the dons as their number one choice without looking at any other options or assessing their personal situation? If it takes a few weeks, then it takes a few weeks. It's quite a big decision to move town, especially if there is family involved, so a few extra days isn't the end of the world.

Online Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #572 on: July 10, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Do we really need players to be absolutely committed to the dons as their number one choice without looking at any other options or assessing their personal situation? If it takes a few weeks, then it takes a few weeks. It's quite a big decision to move town, especially if there is family involved, so a few extra days isn't the end of the world.

Yes we do

We should have learned from the magoo fiasco. I don't want us being anyones back up option

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 117
« Reply #573 on: July 10, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
Yes we do

We should have learned from the magoo fiasco. I don't want us being anyones back up option

As much as I agree in principle I just don't think this is practical. We'd just have nae players.

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2019, 03:58:30 PM »
I rate McGeouch, i think there’s a player there. But as people say, I think he’s not really interested in coming to us. Saying that, the only one quoted in the media is Ross saying he wants to keep him but that doesn’t say whether DMG wants to stay. I was never convinced GMS wanted to be here and he saw us as simply an opportunity to be seen and get another move, this would be the same in my opinion.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
Joe Lewis confirmed as the Captain.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
Yes we do

What a bizarre/irrational attitude. Why would any player or manager who doesn't support the club think of us as anything other than a finite part of their career? The only issue with surrounding McGhee's appointment was the fact that he said it to the press instead of just saying he was sorting out his family situation or some such. But it's a fairly unique example and one that isn't really applicable to a manager. Logan didn't want to come to Aberdeen, GMS's form wasn't affected by him not wanting to be here, Shinnie knew he wasn't staying beyond the end of the season and many other examples - in fact the overwhelming majority of dons players. Stewart wanted to be here last season and turned out to be pish. The only relevance is whether a player wants to give his all when he's here and I don't doubt McGeouch - with his work ethic - will be an issue in that regard. If he joins any other team, then he can go and fuck himself obviously.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 117
« Reply #577 on: July 11, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »
I rate McGeouch, i think there’s a player there. But as people say, I think he’s not really interested in coming to us. Saying that, the only one quoted in the media is Ross saying he wants to keep him but that doesn’t say whether DMG wants to stay. I was never convinced GMS wanted to be here and he saw us as simply an opportunity to be seen and get another move, this would be the same in my opinion.

The thing is how often in modern football do managers of a club get final say on all in-comings and outgoings? Rarely. Ross wanting McGeouch to stay is all very well but the board or the money men at Sunderland clearly want him out on his arse. 

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #578 on: July 11, 2019, 03:44:10 PM »
We're apparently competing with Hibs for the guy Ojo who's currently with Scunthorpe. Would imagine McGeouch definitely isn't happening if we're offering cash here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48954839
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #579 on: July 11, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »
That's more like it: A foreigner, palindromic surname. Can't get better than that.