Author Topic: Victim fc v Dons 09/03  (Read 1619 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -157
Re: Victim fc v Dons 09/03
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »
Excellent solid performance. Limited them to fuck all. A rare recent day of being proud to be AFC.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 05:36:04 PM »
Excellent solid performance. Limited them to fuck all. A rare recent day of being proud to be AFC.

Is fucking correct Rocket.

Now I might be defending the indefensible here, but watching that on a stream, I thought May possible was nudged by a Celtic player as he went for the header. Once I've seen it again, I'll readily admit it if I'm wrong.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 10
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »
Is fucking correct Rocket.

Now I might be defending the indefensible here, but watching that on a stream, I thought May possible was nudged by a Celtic player as he went for the header. Once I've seen it again, I'll readily admit it if I'm wrong.

I thought he took a deliberate " stumble " after he realised he'd fucked up. But likewise, I shall readily admit I was wrong. ( About the chance, not his total lack of confidence in front of goal )
They will never forget you till somebody new comes along.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -115
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »
i thougt he may have had a wee bump, but we really didnt sttack it with any conviction
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
Can remember when going to either of the arse cheeks and playing for a draw was frowned upon clearly that has changed. One shot on target in 90 minutes. Better than cup final I suppose.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -115
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »
nae bobby connor star jumps
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 07:33:01 PM »
One shot on target in 90 minutes.

Dom Ball & Lewis Ferguson = two
Same number as the JJ's had Jute
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
Dom Ball & Lewis Ferguson = two
Same number as the JJ's had Jute

Must have missed second one. Only remember one that keeper saved down to his left. Even 2 shots in 90 minutes is pretty poor.

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 09:25:00 PM »
Waiting for my loon to get home from paradise :laughing:in his windowless bus :confused: According to him 1st half pretty dire but much better 2nd half, could have won it at end, with May chance.   His top red was Ball & Dean Campbell very good when he came on.
Decent point :thumbsup:

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 31
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 09:32:17 PM »
Must have missed second one. Only remember one that keeper saved down to his left. Even 2 shots in 90 minutes is pretty poor.

Second one was Ferguson's free kick which was in the first minute of injury time and indirectly led to the missed May header. Of which  there now could be mitigating circumstances. I haven't seen a replay but there are others who are suggesting as he went to header he got a hefty dunt in the back. I'll reserve judgement till I see it again but at the time thought it was a dreadful effort

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 09:50:29 PM »

No meaning to be pernickity Jute but the same number as them o'er the ninety minutes
Steve warm his seat up

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 49
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 10:20:32 PM »
It was a stalemate but I thought we played really well.  Our structure was excellent and as for the slating of Mclennan I very much disagree.  He made a few mistakes and lost the ball but overall I thought his attitude and drive was spot on and their rb didn't have a moments peace. Everyone's was though 2bh.  Considine was an absolute rock today. 
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline baggy89

• Captain
  • Rating: 42
  • God forgives, I don't.
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 11:07:30 PM »
I was half watching first half as rugby was on.
Wilson was all over the shop.
Campbell when he came on changed the way we were playing.
I’d play him instead of Ferguson on Wednesday.
Today helped McLennan, got caught once (that I saw) not at 100%, but made up for that.
He could do with a goal or two to give him a boost. Happy to run at players and can beat them. Needs to smash a couple in as he doesn’t get the space I’m sure he had in the younger age groups.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
Direct quote from McKenna  :greengrin:

" We’ve had two draws against the Rangers and Celtic in the last couple of games "
They will never forget you till somebody new comes along.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Direct quote from McKenna  :greengrin:

" We’ve had two draws against the Rangers and Celtic in the last couple of games "

He'll be hard pushed to TRUMP that one ;)
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
He could always describe them as sevco and as a new club.

The authorities would have apoplexy but if they dared try to sanction him then we go to the courts to let them sort it out. The truth would soon(ish) out...

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
It was a stalemate but I thought we played really well.  Our structure was excellent and as for the slating of Mclennan I very much disagree.  He made a few mistakes and lost the ball but overall I thought his attitude and drive was spot on and their rb didn't have a moments peace. Everyone's was though 2bh.  Considine was an absolute rock today.

Considine has been a rock for 3 or 4 seasons to be fair :thumbsup:

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2019, 06:13:00 PM »
Both Considine and Ball were very unfairly tarred as everyone's whipping boys.

When everyone is fit I agree they are squad players....but this season we have had a horrendous run of injuries/suspensions and so both have been used fairly extensively. And both have done just fine . Indeed I'd say Ball has been our best player over the past 3 or 4 matches.

I hope both get rewarded with at least 2 year contracts in the summer

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 71
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »
Can remember when going to either of the arse cheeks and playing for a draw was frowned upon clearly that has changed. One shot on target in 90 minutes. Better than cup final I suppose.

Interesting take on a solid performance. The way I see it is that you have two options. The first is to go for it, pushing high up the park against them and beat them by being aggressive, clinical and quick in defence against their break. The second is to maintain shape, frustrate, be clinical on the break and sharp in your own half. They're both just sets of tactics designed to win in a different manner. Nobody actually plays for a draw in league football. Based on our lack of pace on the right side of our defence (Lowe and Considine), the first tactic would have been a dangerous one, as their pace in behind and over the top would have led to significant opportunities. We'd have been relying on luck not to lose a goal as much as our ability to score at the other end; we'd be relying on scoring more than them as they'd definitely have scored. The second option relied on our proven strength of discipline, shape and aggressive play in our own half, leaving the weaker part of our game in holding the ball up and taking on a man higher up the pitch to chance and fortune. In other words, we played to our strengths to give us the best chance of winning the game. On it's day, our defence is significantly better than our attack, so it's a no brainer to me that we'd rely heavily on it in a game away from home against a team that is better than us. It's just tactics. If we have GMS available tomorrow (and he removes his head from his airse), then I'd expect a bit more adventure, but still retaining that discipline and shape. Difference being is that I think we are far more likely to score against the hun with this approach.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -157
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
Or, as Graeme Souness said yesterday, there's too much emphasis placed on tactics and formations these days because it's all about the quality of the players.

Wolves kept their shape and discipline superbly yesterday and were unlucky not to win. They have excellent technical footballers who make few mistakes and they are capable of doing the simple things well, passing and controlling the ball.

Mourinho and Benitez have built careers, and indeed not an inconsiderable amount of success on a rigid style of play which demands keeping shape and discipline, limiting the opposition to a minimum number of attacking options but they have/had highly-paid footballers who are technically capable of passing and holding.

The problem with this over-emphasis on shape and tactics is that it stifles individual creativity and expression. We all know about the split between Pogba and Mourinho but what's been coming out in the aftermath from Man U diehards is that the football under Jose was just rank rotten to watch, despite them winning the Europa League and getting into the Champions League, where they've been fortunate enough last week to still be in it. Man U and Celtic are clubs who consider themselves to have an attacking flair style of play and the backlash against Rodgers also includes criticism from some long-standing Celtic fans (who unlike the majority of them are intelligent observers of the game) that despite the continuous stream of trophies (a perfect 7/7 and the SPFL being almost certain in May), the football under Rodgers wasn't great to watch week in week out.

This doesn't apply to AFC of course as we don't have highly paid footballers who are technically capable of doing the basics consistently well. When 7/1 underdogs going to the champions as we were on Saturday, of course the manager needs to insist on sitting in, maintaining shape and discipline in defence and hope to grab something on the break. The fact that the home team had two thirds of the possession on Saturday was unfortunately highly predictable because they have superior footballers than us and therefore the "tactics" deployed by McInnes were forced upon him. He has never once in his career gone to that stadium and tried a high-pressing attacking game and given the disparity, who can blame him?

The problem is the disparity in player quality and player mentality. Where jute rightly refers to the past, famously illustrated in that example from SAF's first days at AFC when Dom Sullivan and others felt like doing cartwheels on gaining a draw in Glasgow, the winning mindset manager ALWAYS wants to win and wants his players to want to win. I would go further and say that our fans should want to win every game too but as we all know, we have aspirations-disparity within our ranks too.

We defended brilliantly on Saturday and that's all. Much of that was down to a poor day at the office by the home team, who were surprisingly inept in unpicking our locks but let's not start doing cartwheels here. We are 16 points behind with a further 27 up for grabs. It's not working.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise