Author Topic: Restaurants recommended  (Read 13663 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
Re: Restaurants recommended
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »
Buchanans Bistro at Banchory for lunch today. Second time I've been and had the same thing as last time early summer - the Spanish Board. It's just excellent. Don't overdo the sourdough bread though. It's gorgeous but for someone like me who doesn't eat much bread these days, very easy to over-indulge. The wife said her dish was superb too. A must-visit for any NE enthusiast.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 72
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
Buchanans Bistro is fucking magic like, my favourite restaurant in the shire. I'm not a big meat eater these days, so I'm always on the look out for decent veg options, especially for lunch. Whilst I go to many places that do good food really well, there's very few that I go to that the combination of ingredients are that which I just wouldn't think to use together at home. Simple food too, and not a pretentious place. Some of the beer is worth a drink too, I always purchase a selection to take home. Along with some packets maftoul, which the wife likes. It's ace.

Went to Rishi's afore the Saints game. Very good, and excellent value.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »
Whilst I go to many places that do good food really well, there's very few that I go to that the combination of ingredients are that which I just wouldn't think to use together at home.

Went to Rishi's afore the Saints game. Very good, and excellent value.

How about this then? The soup on offer today was tomato and coconut. If I didn't know that the Spanish board would have been filling enough, I might have been tempted.

Went to Rishi's for the first time a few months back. I'm terribly addicted to Light of Bengal so didn't rate it that much but appreciate that this may well have included some bigotry and prejudice on my part. I must be Indianist. Not being sexist or racist, I was bound to have a major ist of some sort.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
Chaophraya in the Monkey House.

Aberdeen now has one outstanding restaurant.

Best meal I've ever had in my life.

The Chang Rai cocktail and the Spicy Beef salad complimented each other, weirdly.

The dumplings to start were excellent.

The coconut pannacotta was grotesquely delicious.

We're going again tomorrow.

I am sick fed up of recommending it to others who all say it was fabulous.

I went the next week with a mate of mine for lunch but I can't wait to get back for the full bifta.

Friends of ours were there on Monday for her birthday. They loved it. She won over a grand at Roulette afterwards so it's maybe a lucky restaurant too?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2016, 05:23:53 PM »
Not a restaurant as such but Five Guys produce a REALLY TASTY BURGER.

Just opened in Aberdeen. Will go again. But not too often.

Pity it's free refills for coke and shit. That's just contributing to the obesity epidemic, people being too stupid and too dumbed-down and too greedy and too sad and too ill-disciplined not to contain themselves and refrain.

Offline Three Crazz

• First Team
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
Not a restaurant as such but Five Guys produce a REALLY TASTY BURGER.

Just opened in Aberdeen. Will go again. But not too often.

Pity it's free refills for coke and shit. That's just contributing to the obesity epidemic, people being too stupid and too dumbed-down and too greedy and too sad and too ill-disciplined not to contain themselves and refrain.

Count me in we that lot I fall into all that category's  :thumbsup:
Asking nothing, leave me be. Taking everything in my stride. Don't need reason, don't need rhyme. Ain't nothing I'd rather do. Going down, party time My friends are gonna be there too.

Online CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2016, 01:14:17 AM »
'Five Guys'?

Sounds like one of mizers old haunts.
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>

Offline MálagaSheep

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 48
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2016, 06:31:24 AM »
I went to The Prime Cuts last night. Having always fancied trying it I heard it was closing down ("hibernating because of the oil downturn") on Friday so decided to go and check it out. They were doing a deal where you'd get 10% off so I booked a table and went. The first thing I noticed when I turned up was that the prices on their menu were almost 20% higher than the prices on their website. Online menu linky. I'd be really keen to know when they bumped the prices up because the cynic in me would suggest that it happened around the time they started doing a 10% "discount".

Anyway. I ordered the T-bone done medium and a pepper and whiskey sauce. Thoroughly enjoyed the food. No complaints on that front at all. Service was fine but then came the bill fuck up. The mannie took the bill over and said "The 10% has been taken off already". He was half right.. the sauces had been discounted by 10% saving us a total of about 60p. The steaks were charged at full price (£7 more each than the online price). So I said to the guy that the prices were already a lot higher than online (which he got a little defensive about) and that I expected 10% off the whole bill. He took the bill away, corrected it and took it back but I don't believe for a second that that was an honest mistake. That was them blatantly trying their luck and seeing if they'd get away with it. So for that reason I can't go back when it re-opens which is a shame because I've never had a better steak in Aberdeen.

Went once and got food poisoning! Never again! And also emptied my wallet!

Offline MálagaSheep

• First Team Regular
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2016, 06:36:42 AM »
The Indian restaurant next to prime cuts? Is that still there?

After 9pm it turned into a lap dancing club, the most off putting titty bar ever! Tits in yer face and all i wanted was pakoras, the smell of indian food!
Aslo heard that if you asked, you got the full bhuna at a good price

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
I'll have to give it a try when I'm in town.

That was in relation to Muchacho on Rose Street, which I recommended in another thread.

Just had lunch there, 3 Tacos for the price of 2 on Tuesdays. I said the Punch in the Face hottest salsa wasn't unearthly hot, well the ballpark has changed! Was speaking to the lassie that owns it today - well, her and her boyfriend do - and said that the sauce was hotter than usual. They had identified that the hottest wasn't hot enough and have added chilli paste to the mix in their preparation. It's still not mental hot but boy it has the real kick now that it didn't before so perfect, just the way I like it.

New beef filling introduced today and these little pancake things she gave me to try - free today apparently, pronounced "emperlada" maybe? - were magic.

Offline MálagaSheep

• First Team Regular
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2016, 05:56:13 AM »
That was in relation to Muchacho on Rose Street, which I recommended in another thread.

Just had lunch there, 3 Tacos for the price of 2 on Tuesdays. I said the Punch in the Face hottest salsa wasn't unearthly hot, well the ballpark has changed! Was speaking to the lassie that owns it today - well, her and her boyfriend do - and said that the sauce was hotter than usual. They had identified that the hottest wasn't hot enough and have added chilli paste to the mix in their preparation. It's still not mental hot but boy it has the real kick now that it didn't before so perfect, just the way I like it.

New beef filling introduced today and these little pancake things she gave me to try - free today apparently, pronounced "emperlada" maybe? - were magic.

Empeñadas. Pronounced empenyadas, hope this helps you the next time rocket!

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »
Empeñadas. Pronounced empenyadas, hope this helps you the next time rocket!

Cheers dude. That'll be them.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
Stumbled into Mamma Pizza in Belmont Street last night. Never seen it before but the enthusiasm of the Italian owner convinced us. Great decision. All ingredients (including flour) imported from Italy and very reasonably priced. Totally authentic taste and very good food. I defy anyone to go further up the road to the chain after discovering this.

Offline capitalred

• Under 21's
  • Rating: 4
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2016, 02:05:08 PM »
was out at eat on the green two weeks back, thought it was good, a set menu but everything was fine.

i cant fault it, BUT i only went because i was given a voucher and if i'm being really honest i wouldn't want to pay that kind of money for a meal again, i've had just as good/better meals at easily half the price.

was in a tiny wee Italian place in sneckie the week before that, food was outstanding and for 3 courses (plus wee nibble things) and a litre of red it was only about 70 quid, recommend it if ever up that way, a booking is the best bet, think there was only about a dozen tables and it was rammed, they turned away heaps of folk while we were eating.
Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
Wagamama at the Academy has gone, replaced by a Cuban restaurant of all things. It must be the most popular place in town just now. Has anyone eaten there yet?

We went in last week for a cocktail - the Brazilian one at the bottom of the page, wonderful - saw the menu for the first time but couldn't get a table at 6. Then after Pittodrie, phoned to see if we could get a table but again fully booked. Must be doing something very good. Owned by the same people who own Revolution apparently.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
Lunch at Revolucion de Cuba today. Outstanding and great value. We are teetotal every January this century but Sunday to Weds all cocktails are £4.50 and they're very good both in terms of taste and alcohol injection. 40% off everything this month if you book a table online (which I didn't - doh) so just do it. Something different for Aberdeen and something very very good.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
Went to the oldest Italian restaurant in the UK today, established 1922.

Name that tune?

It has been years/decades since we were last in but the food was excellent, if not the service. The Eberdeen lassie was brilliant. The owner and presumably his son were lazy disinterested bastards, going through the motions.

Functional rather than special. Might go back but probably won't. Didn't like his pink Polo (long-sleeve) shirt and tan belt.

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2017, 06:27:04 PM »
Went to the oldest Italian restaurant in the UK today, established 1922.

Name that tune?

It has been years/decades since we were last in but the food was excellent, if not the service. The Eberdeen lassie was brilliant. The owner and presumably his son were lazy disinterested bastards, going through the motions.

Functional rather than special. Might go back but probably won't. Didn't like his pink Polo (long-sleeve) shirt and tan belt.

La Lombarda. Usually decent.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 72
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
Haven't been in years. Was quite good last time I was there over a decade ago.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
I know this is about Aberdeen restaurants,  but I just wanted to warn everyone. If you're ever in Hackney, never ever go to Okko on Broadway market. Nice sushi. Very nice in fact, but the sashimi was the worst I've ever had. I even had better in some shit all you can eat Asian buffet in Paris. Salmon had bones and the tuna had some skin or fat that I never knew existed in tuna. Shame they served it last because the sushi was really something. Really disappointing. Oh, and naked gyozas? Gtf.