Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs saints -wed

Shocking tackle on Miovski. Hoping it’s actually an ankle break as they fuse and heal stronger as compared to ligaments which can take longer. Straight red that makes a farce of refereeing and var yet again, plus really st mirren should have been down to nine if the ref applies the rules. 

6 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Shocking tackle on Miovski. Hoping it’s actually an ankle break as they fuse and heal stronger as compared to ligaments which can take longer. Straight red that makes a farce of refereeing and var yet again, plus really st mirren should have been down to nine if the ref applies the rules. 

Completely agree that the tackle was terrible, but I can't see your point about refereeing and VAR. The referee misjudged it in real time and VAR gave him the opportunity to have another look. I think it was applied perfectly here. 

Anyway hopefully it looks a lot worse than it is and there's a chance he could be back for the start of the new season. 

52 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

Completely agree that the tackle was terrible, but I can't see your point about refereeing and VAR. The referee misjudged it in real time and VAR gave him the opportunity to have another look. I think it was applied perfectly here. 

Anyway hopefully it looks a lot worse than it is and there's a chance he could be back for the start of the new season. 

Just that it’s a clear red all day long yet var has to be involved to get the right decision. And right in front of the linesman. But if it was rangers would var even have looked? And what’s the reasoning behind them not being reduced to 9? Gogic is booked, keeps fouling, then commits what would be a yellow most games. Standard of reffing is awful in our league. Disjointed argument I know, just so over reffing and var these days.

• Like 1

Clarkson is certainly as good as James Maddison was for us (his goal today was similar to that one against the huns)  There was a break in play after one of his passes and the ref. was clearly saying something complimentary to him.  As for the Roos save you mentioned...didn't think at any point that he was going to score, and Roos looked like was asking Main "is that was the best you can do". Roos is another one I fear will be in the radar of other clubs. 

• Like 1

Not long back from the game. 

Clarkson might just be one of my favourite ever Aberdeen players. Just love watching him. Him, Shinnie and Duk in the same team, we're spoiled.

Miovski has actually improved so much over the season and a real shame to see him injured. He's posted on Instagram saying it's not broken but needs a scan on his ligaments.

Nice to see Joe Lewis get a good ovation at the end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Just that it’s a clear red all day long yet var has to be involved to get the right decision. And right in front of the linesman.

I said immediately at the game that it was a red, but in fairness to the ref I think he'd already moved on and missed the incident. One of those ones where he follows the ball and can just catch a glimpse of the late challenge, so you know it's definitely a booking, but probably not aware of the seriousness of the challenge. I had a great view because I'm behind the goal, so could see the play continuing and the foul, the ref was side on. It's certainly one the linesman should have seen, but you do wonder if they just left it to VAR as they weren't sure. I have to say, it's the only real uncontentious - or worthy - clear and obvious decision I've seen VAR intervene in for us this season. It's pretty much as expected, very few of them to be worth it. It worked as expected last night, whilst also allowing convenient time for me to go for a pish.