Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Orcs vs Robsons reds

From what I saw we weren’t too bad today and certainly missed chances. Nice goal from cantwell to be fair. Not too disappointed really as our run of wins and clean sheets had to end sometime, and that’s a game I can understand losing. Especially with hearts losing today too. Beating hearts, st mirren, and hibs have to happen, plus Celtic having won the league, taking something from them last day isnt out of the question.

Just back from the game. On the balance of play we deserved at least a draw, but only have ourselves to blame.

Two huge chances for Duk in the first half, from where I was he has to take at least one of them, but guess would need to see them again.

Second half I thought Hayes was terrific, really drove us on. To think there were people suggesting (including on this forum) his legs had gone. 

Clarkson was actually very good defensively but couldn't quite find the right ball at the other end. Coulson was okay but guilty of always wanting an extra touch.

We did get at them in the second half but couldn't get enough on target.

Frustrating because like I said we were probably worthy of a point, but if anything that's probably not a result and performance that rocks the confidence too much.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1

Defended for our lives again and eventually something was going to break our run at the back .

Can't rely on a miracle from Duk every week. Although we did come close a couple of times.

I've said for a few weeks that we've been carrying luck ( and by proxy momentum . It'll be interesting to see if we can pick it up again next week. I'd like to see us try to get up the pitch a bit more as it's not only Ibrox where we've relied on Wonder saves and last ditch tackles.

You might want to frame this next bit but I have to say that miovski looks to have improved dramatically since Jim left.  I've gave him a kicking for being a horse many times but it looks like with a bit of direction he might be a player 

Not sure what Duncan brings to the team today but otherwise decent enough shift from the whole team. 

Some of the decisions that weren't looked at today by VAR were outrageous. I hope the club are compiling an email as I type.

8 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Anyone willing to comment on the penalty we had/didn’t get? Seemed like a no brainer to me but it appeared it wasn’t even reviewed by VAR?? Makes a farce of the whole thing. Again.

It was outside. Should definitely have been checked though and been a foul. WWE stuff.

57 minutes ago, redordead said:

It was outside. Should definitely have been checked though and been a foul. WWE stuff.

If it was outside and not a red then it can't be checked. I've not seen it of course. John Beaton was the ref though, so it was very obviously a foul.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

If it was outside and not a red then it can't be checked. I've not seen it of course. John Beaton was the ref though, so it was very obviously a foul.

It started outside the box but he was still all over Duk as they moved into the box.  Stone Wall pen all day long 

17 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

It started outside the box but he was still all over Duk as they moved into the box.  Stone Wall pen all day long 

I thought Goldson let go of him before he went into box so no penalty. Definitely a foul outside but that’s not reviewable.

Would question why Scales was booked for being pushed by Cuntwell. In fact would also question why Cuntwell wasn’t given a red card for the incident. 

1 hour ago, Jute said:

I thought Goldson let go of him before he went into box so no penalty. Definitely a foul outside but that’s not reviewable.

Would question why Scales was booked for being pushed by Cuntwell. In fact would also question why Cuntwell wasn’t given a red card for the incident. 

Scales wasn't booked, it was Clarkson.

And it was because it broke Beaton's heart to book Cantwell, so it softened the blow a little.

Beaton, once again in a Rangers-Aberdeen match, had an absolute shocker. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redordead said:

Defended for our lives again and eventually something was going to break our run at the back .

Can't rely on a miracle from Duk every week. Although we did come close a couple of times.

I've said for a few weeks that we've been carrying luck ( and by proxy momentum . It'll be interesting to see if we can pick it up again next week. I'd like to see us try to get up the pitch a bit more as it's not only Ibrox where we've relied on Wonder saves and last ditch tackles.

That is incredibly harsh.

Rangers had seven shots on target to our four. That's not total domination and that's not going there and defending for our lives and relying on a Duk miracle, it's defending well while offering a threat on the counter attack which we did, and did well.

The saves Roos makes are actually routine. He closes the gap on Sakala who shoots straight at him. Duk's chances at the other end were actually bigger opportunities.

Roos tipped one over the bar, so did McCrorie from a Pollok header. Morris should have done better too when forcing McCrorie into a save. Bavidge and Watkins both should hit the target from close range late on.

Rangers best chance - other than the goal - was actually two opportunities that were nearly own goals.

Yes we could have held onto possession a bit more. We also could have got a fairer referee who gave us little. But like Robson said in his post-match interview - that's how we should be playing when we go down to Glasgow, and on another day we win that.

• Like 1