Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Barry's Unbeatables v Rangers

Caught the second half last night after everything everyone had said about the first. Some excellent play and the determination from the team and the fans alike was incredible. Pittodrie well and truly had its singing voice back for this one. 

that ball from Clarkson, an absolute peach and the finish was more than worthy of it. Just a shame Watkins and even Duncan couldn’t finish it off. Really don’t know what to make of the latter, hopefully he finds a place in the team, but I’d imagine he drops out when shinnie returns.

The seethe from their fans post match has been joyous to read. Even one of my hun mates who barely rises to anything was fuming. Excellent.

59 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Caught the second half last night after everything everyone had said about the first. Some excellent play and the determination from the team and the fans alike was incredible. Pittodrie well and truly had its singing voice back for this one. 

that ball from Clarkson, an absolute peach and the finish was more than worthy of it. Just a shame Watkins and even Duncan couldn’t finish it off. Really don’t know what to make of the latter, hopefully he finds a place in the team, but I’d imagine he drops out when shinnie returns.

The seethe from their fans post match has been joyous to read. Even one of my hun mates who barely rises to anything was fuming. Excellent.

"one of my hun mates"

You need to give yourself a shake min 😮

So...

Rangers, Hearts & Celtic all away 

Hibs & St Mirren at home.

I'd say those work out well for us. We expected three away anyway. The two most winnable ones are at home, and if we win both those then Hearts will need to win four games after the split - including v us. That's a big ask.

17 minutes ago, Panda said:

So...

Rangers, Hearts & Celtic all away 

Hibs & St Mirren at home.

I'd say those work out well for us. We expected three away anyway. The two most winnable ones are at home, and if we win both those then Hearts will need to win four games after the split - including v us. That's a big ask.

On reflection Panda, your thoughts are pretty much spot on. Think I just got blinkered initially by going to Glasgow's East End for a third time. Better that than St Mirren away probably as either way chances are Celtic will beat us anyway.

5 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Third trip of the season to the Tattiebowl 🤔

In fairness, we were the shitest of all the top six teams last season and the beaks obviously think that playing the scum at home is the be all and end all. In reality, it means a game that we wouldn't be favourites to win in anyway is now away from home (and after they have anything to play for), with St Mirren then having to come to pittodrie in what can only be seen as a major disadvantage for them. As Panda says, this is actually very good for us. If we can get six points at home then we'd definitely finish third. Hearts aren't taking eleven points in the remaining fixtures, and even four points in those two games would likely be enough. 

Assuming those fixtures aren't bollocks.

Edit: I see you've addressed the point already!

Edited by RicoS321

9 minutes ago, Panda said:

Have we ever started and ended a season with the exact same fixture (Celtic away)?

Interesting point you raise there Panda

If we have , it would have to be since 1975-1976 season for obvious reasons and it isn't something I personally can remember happening to be honest🤔

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Interesting point you raise there Panda

If we have , it would have to be since 1975-1976 season for obvious reasons and it isn't something I personally can remember happening to be honest🤔

Forgive me - but what were the obvious reasons 🤔

Just checked though - we were away to Celtic in the League Cup, and began the premier division away to Dundee, but we finished the season at home to Hibs.

Actually we began the season against St Johnstone in the Anglo cup. Although was referring to the league anyway since we of course started this season in the League Cup group stages

Edited by Panda

Put my thoughts in the other thread. I'm definately happy with this. If we win our two games at home I think we will be there even if we lose the other three. Good that Celtic are going to Tynecastle in the first fixture aswell. It Means Hearts have to play them while they still have something to play for, whereas we get them in the last game when things could already be settled. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Forgive me - but what were the obvious reasons 🤔

Just checked though - we were away to Celtic in the League Cup, and began the premier division away to Dundee, but we finished the season at home to Hibs.

Actually we began the season against St Johnstone in the Anglo cup. Although was referring to the league anyway since we of course started this season in the League Cup group stages

Obvious reasons Panda are the fact that 75-76 season was the first time that it was possible to play the same team twice at home and twice away during the course of a league campaign.

Appreciate you youngsters won't remember anything pre-that😉

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Panda said:

We may as well just keep this thread open since our next game is now Rangers.

Have we ever started and ended a season with the exact same fixture (Celtic away)?

79-80 season we played Partick away first game and last of the league season. The only other games that we played the same team first and last games of the season were 95-96 against Falkirk and 20-21 against the huns. But we played both games home and away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotfree said:

79-80 season we played Partick away first game and last of the league season. The only other games that we played the same team first and last games of the season were 95-96 against Falkirk and 20-21 against the huns. But we played both games home and away.

Outstanding stats. 

I notice we didn't win either of those games either, but did beat Celtic, St Mirren and Hibs in the last five games of the season which I'd certainly take now.

10 hours ago, scotfree said:

Nice work, hope that didn't take you too long to research 😉

Forgot about Firhill May 1980 but my excuse was I was still I was still pished from the absolute bender we went on the day of the league victory at Easter Road on the Saturday.

Wonderful times indeed 👍