Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Saints vs dons

Absolutely critical game for our quest of legitimately challenging hearts for third, and to a degree hibs of course. Really tight from 3rd-7th. 

our record against them down there isn’t bad, and we’ve already beaten them a couple of times this season. Given the turnaround that Robson et al appear to have made (still time to go on Rico’s 15 game bounce), we should go into this with full confidence. Would be nice if killie and Motherwell could do us a favour, with saints and livi drawing. 

hopefully no one has managed to get any knocks on international duty. Would we change much from the way we set up against hearts? Not sure, seemed to work pretty well last time out and nice to see the best of Clarkson again. 

out

bed

bed

a lie in? 😂

2-0 dons , Clarkson and miovski 

Could be one of those weekends that changes the course of history (bit dramatic maybe, or is it?).

Aberdeen and Hearts both have terrible away records. On paper, we have similar challenges this weekend - us away to Saints, them away to Killie.

We win, they don't, then we're right behind them and Neilson will be under severe pressure.

However, they win and we don't, all the good work from beating them is gone and certain Danish managers called Jess will continue to see us as a chaos club.

McInnes, you owe us one lad after lumbering us with Funso Ojo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I believe there's going to be a minute's silence in the twenty second minute for Hayden Coulson's missing dog. 

Don't know what's worse. Failing to make a dog pun or the weird way you've written 22nd.

You're one sick puppy.

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Don't know what's worse. Failing to make a dog pun or the weird way you've written 22nd.

You're one sick puppy.

Should it be hyphenated? I wasn't sure, and the hyphen was too far away. You're barking up the wrong tree for dog puns I'm afraid, I'm far too serious for that.

• Haha 2

We saw mid season '20/21 that we were capable of playing a better brand of football, with not the best squad we've had,...but, at around the same time  we were losing key players too,along with aging players which knocked things on the head that season. Good to have reasonable aims for entertaining fitba,do we actually know if Glass and co were being told to entertain despite players that werent up to the task,?

Re Saints - Would like to head down,not sure Ive time.Saints reasonably comfortable,not sure how theyll approach this one,but our confidence must be pretty high the noo,be surprised if we dont win this one.

In or Oot - Oot for now

Prediction 1 - 3 Dons Duk,Clarkson,Duncan,....though Fido Coulson wont be far from my thoughts  🤧

Edited by Elgindon

3 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Good to have reasonable aims for entertaining fitba,do we actually know if Glass and co were being told to entertain despite players that werent up to the task,?

It's literally in the club's strategy, and it's fairly clear that Cormack was keen on it, and from their opening interviews on joining both Glass and Goodwin had bought in. It's a fairly nebulous concept, but the whole "passing out from the back" seemed to be a synonym for entertaining and that went on throughout both Glass and Goodwin's tenures despite very clear evidence that teams were just stepping up and pressing us higher. All of Glass' reign was defined by possession football with little or no penetration and no attempt to switch it up. That changed slightly with Goodwin, who wasn't afraid to punt it forward when necessary, but otherwise it was the same 83 passes, waiting for the opponent to gain their shape before giving it away again. I don't believe that the two of them were just that bad at management that they couldn't see what was happening, and that the players they deployed were incapable of doing what was asked. I could be wrong, but the evidence suggests that they were trying to play to a pre-defined model. Certainly for Goodwin, not a model he'd tried anywhere previously. What Robson has added isn't rocket science, he's simply playing the way McInnes, Nielsen, Lennon, Clarke etc all have done succesfully in the SPFL. To any objective viewer, Glass and Goodwin (and McInnes in his final year or so, when he had Hedges, Watkins and Wright in an attacking lineup he'd never have previously considered) were avoiding the obvious setup that would have returned more points for something else. I don't think that there's any other explanation for taking guys like Gallagher, Bates, Stewart and so on, so far out of their comfort zone for such a sustained period. It was like a form of torture.

• Like 1

Robson has said Hayden Coulson won't play after this week's events.

Formation wise, I wonder if we'll go back to a back three. It's how we finished against United and how we played v Hearts. 

I'd like to see Watkins start but I imagine after having a good international break (goal and assist I think) then Miovski will keep his place. 

IMG_5931.thumb.jpeg.66ea56626a3b465522e4923332b03592.jpeg 

35 minutes ago, Panda said:

Odd that Gorter missing since he played for Netherlands U21s during the international break.

Injured apparently. Roos definitely number one though. 

Miovski making a fair meal of that like. Not sure it was even a foul. Considine apparently been struggling since returning from injury for them. Feel a bit sorry for him there.