Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Hearts

I was going to start this thread last week, then thought I'd wait and see if there was any movement on the manager front. But here we are with the growing possibility that Robson will still be in charge.

Win and we're four points off third and it's game on in the race for the Europa League spot. Lose and it's a 10 point gap and surely over. A draw doesn't do us any good either.

I'm heading up for it, and despite being at Aberdeen games at Tynecastle frequently, the last Dons/Hearts game at Pittodrie I made it to was the 2-0 Scottish Cup win in 2010. 

Team - I wouldn't be against the same one that beat Livi & Dundee United, although maybe drop Ryan Duncan just because of the size of the fixture and he's not been great in the past two games. Perhaps time to start Watkins and put him up against Stephen Kingsley, who recently has looked a shadow of the player he was last season.

Hearts have a lot of injuries so we're getting them at a good time, but I suspect Robbie Neilson will be cautious and quite content with a point so could be a horrible game.

After this it's yet another two-week wait for a game. Thankfully we've got loads of enthralling manager chat to keep us going.

If everyone is fit I would go with side that started last two games although I would swap Duncan and Duk so both are playing on their stronger side. Not been impressed with Hearts this season and without Snodgrass they are a bang average side. They are where they are because the rest of the league including us has been shite. If Snodgrass is out for them on Saturday think we have great chance to beat them. If we can get the gap to 4 points with us playing 3 of bottom 6 sides in next few weeks we can put them under some serious pressure. 

In

train then pub 

Y

pub then train

1-1 Miovski.

Hearts are very clinical, with some good individual players and a manager that knows how to get points at any cost. Our midfield was weak until we changed things against utd, so I wouldn't be starting with the same team. I'd go a back three with either Scales or McKenzie (or both if Pollock injured). Coulson in on the left wing back role and McRorie on the right. Three in the midfield with Clarkson pushed forward rather than backwards and a front two to keep Duk away from defensive duties, which will be absolutely critical against a side which scores every second chance they get. I think that if we start the way we did against utd we'll be two goals down in the first 30 minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

4 at the back w scales at LB? Or back 3 with Hayes at left wing back??

I suspect latter.

Understand that Gorter's partner is giving birth hence change of keeper, but sorry can't agree with taking Scales in and dropping McKenzie

Our pass completion % is still horrible but the improvement in work rate is getting results.

Fair play to Robson. I didn't have much faith in him but himself and Agnew have turned around a squad of bottlers in jig time.

He probably deserves at least a few more games to see if the level can be maintained.

Hearts fans chanting Neilson must go, and he got an earful at full-time. I've said it all season - Hearts are a bang average side who have taken advantage of Hibs & ourselves being poor.

Miovski apart I thought everyone had an excellent game. Clarkson showed a side of himself we hadn't seen before, throwing himself into every challenge. He was my MOTM closely followed by McCrorie and Duk.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

Very solid performance from what I saw. Good win! I know others disagree but I really like shinnie and ramadani in center mid, two workers with drive who allow others to be creative.

Thought the midfield three were outstanding, the graft of Shinnie and Ramadani coupled to the skill of Clarkson.

Can we have then next season please.

8 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I think it says something that Watkins is involved more. All effort and workrate to succeed right now. However, I only think that lasts so long which suggests short term fix. But as I have said, happy for Robson to be an assistant or first team coach.

Watkins did more in his time on the pitch than Miovski. I'd start him next game, let's see what he can do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Thought the midfield three were outstanding, the graft of Shinnie and Ramadani coupled to the skill of Clarkson.

Can we have then next season please.

Aye, playing Clarkson deep has been a masterstroke from Robson. It frees up Ramadani to go and chase down loose balls and put pressure on players. Hearts never had time to think in midfield today, we forced them to play at a pace that they didn't want to.

54 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Very solid performance from what I saw. Good win! I know others disagree but I really like shinnie and ramadani in center mid, two workers with drive who allow others to be creative.

Crucially, Robson has them playing ahead of Clarkson. They both do a power of work in there, but not having Ramadani in the number six role is like having a new player. Clarkson will be a massive loss for us next season unless Barron can step up. Coupled with Clarkson, that back three is a game changer for us, it mitigates so many issues, allowing the midfield to make mistakes and also cope with the brain farts of McRorie, Coulson and Duk. Well played Robson, although the subs are again quite latchy.

Duk and Miovski not quite getting the partnership going, they were too far apart most of the time. Miovski's movement is fantastic on the shoulder of the defender, but we're not getting it to him quick enough, but I've no doubt he'll adapt and pick up goals following things in. Watkins deserving of his minutes at the moment though. Pollock and MacDonald are probably the best six months partnership I've seen!