Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs. Saints

A tough watch as said,ball up in the air too often,attacks broke down too easy. Think I would have taken Miovski off,Coulson to L/B and let the wee guys Duk,Hayes and later,Malarkady run at and around their defence a bit more.

New defenders did OK nothing more,reserve judgement after a run of games. St Mirren were tidy though,could well have won without McRorie going off.

Not making change as soon as we got back to 1-1 was criminal. Fresh legs might have allowed us keep ball further up the pitch. 

Red card was stupid but correct. Defending on the goals was poor and no idea what Lewis was doing on third. Should have stayed on his line. 

• Like 1

VAR needs to be shot into the sun. That was a fucking disgrace. Anything can be made to look like a red card if you watch it over and over again and remove all context. In real time, it wasn't a red card, because it wasn't a fucking red card. Two people clashing together, both with arms out and running fast in a contact sport. Context is absolutely vital, and is only available in real time. The weekend's incidents in the Hun game also showed the same. Stoppage after stoppage before and after from a ref that had no idea what football is, and completely lost control of the game, with var checking every movement, rattling him further and further. It was a terrible game, with all spectacle being removed. I didn't even enjoy our pen. A great run from Duk, who only wanted to get beyond the defender in order to stop, wait for contact and throw himself to the ground. There's a lot to dislike about the modern game. 

The lack of subs was shocking. Barron should have been on to shore things up at 1-1, and it needed to be decisive. You can't prick about waiting for things to happen. It was an extremely lucky moment that brought us back into it, and we weren't likely to get another, we should have shut up shop and tried for the point, with maybe a push in the last few minutes, or hope to get one on the break. Poor management. We simply can't afford those errors at the moment. The new defenders looked okay, it was great to see some aggression and strength, but it was difficult to tell if they'll be any good as we were a little disjointed. Pollock didn't look comfortable at all with his left, but he didn't dick about with it, and the other lad looked a bit clumsy at times, but it was still an improvement. Shinnie was good, as was Clarkson. Ramadani seemed to lose it and isn't at it just now despite a lot of effort. Duk worked hard tonight, but was done around 60 minutes (despite the pen). 

• Like 3

My biggest take from this game is that the new cbs did awfully well given they only met each other for the first time yesterday.  Add into that that the defensive plan they set up with went out the window after 5 minutes.  At the very least they look competent.  Dare I say it but we may actually start seeing clean sheets again at some point this season if they gel.  I missed the start of the game but I hear we started with a back 3?

Delay in subs was surprising to say the least.  It reeks of lack of decisiveness and that seems very un Barry Robson.  It seems even more odd given Robson had been talking about the need for more energy in his presser.  He gets a hall pass on the loss given the 97 minutes of playing with 10 men but not on waiting so long to freshen things up.  It makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by tlg1903
  • Like 2

Obviously the red card was a major factor, but we didn't help ourselves tonight.

Duk's passing was atrocious. He should have been off a lot earlier.

Do we keep Miovski on just in case we get a penalty kick?

Hayes & Kennedy poor, but they were playing full back which isn't their position so can't be too harsh.

Ramadani can never be accused of not trying but I'm beginning to believe he's not good enough. Barron should replace him on Saturday.

Hugely frustrating since with Hearts & Livi losing, and Hibs drawing on Tuesday, it was a chance to move up and still keep third alive. But there really is a chance we could be bottom six again at this rate.

Edited by Panda

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Obviously the red card was a major factor, but we didn't help ourselves tonight.

Duk's passing was atrocious. He should have been off a lot earlier.

Do we keep Miovski on just in case we get a penalty kick?

Hayes & Kennedy poor, but they were playing full back which isn't their position so can't be too harsh.

Ramadani can never be accused of not trying but I'm beginning to believe he's not good enough. Barron should replace him on Saturday.

Hugely frustrating since with Hearts & Livi losing, and Hibs drawing on Tuesday, it was a chance to move up and still keep third alive. But there really is a chance we could be bottom six again at this rate.

I’ve started to accept this fact. We are so bad and as we all know, its not a simple fix , hence removing part of the problem hasn’t resolved it. Hasn’t changed my opinion that I don’t think BR is the one, but I really want him to steady the ship. Making those subs so late in the day was amateur stuff though when it was clear a lot of the team were breathing out their arse. Huge game on the weekend now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Panda said:

Grant Irvine.

Had never heard of him before tonight 

Taken me a long time but got him.

He's the one that allowed the Livi keeper to right hook Vinnie earlier in the season.

Might as well accept a 3-0 loss and not play the match next time he is appointed to officiate a game of ours.

You're a 24 carot gold hun cunt Mr Irvine if you're looking in