Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Arabs vs Dons 6PM KO

Sorry Al but Richardson was hopless again today. United went after him from the off today as they knew he was weak link. Goals may not have come from his side but his all round amateur level of play unbalanced the team. Simply not good enough for Aberdeen. Stewart not much better. As Rico said simply too slow for this league and distribution is not good enough to play system manager wants. Coulson was very poor tonight looked like he had no idea how to defend. Thought Barron and Clarkson looked decent when they came on. Agree again with Rico that Ramirez should have been on much earlier. Morris getting on infront of Duncan was again mystifying. 

Next weeks game against a struggling Hearts is massive. 

Surprised Ramadani getting off so lightly. Really poor game from him. Constantly outmuscled, poor decision making, too slow. We only got a hold of the midfield when Barron came on, then latterly when Clarkson replaced Ramadani.

I was actually at Tynecastle on Thursday, and just home from Tannadice, so have watched both Aberdeen & Hearts be terrible within 48 hours of each other, so next week set to be a cracker.

Lewis

McCrorie Stewart Scales Coulson

Barron Clarkson

Watkins Lopes Ramirez Hayes

Thst should be the team v Hearts by the way. Stewart & Scales only keeping their places because we haven't bothered signing anyone else in defence.

Get McCrorie to right back. Let Barron & Clarkson form a midfield partnership.

That front four can be any combination you like (lone striker, two up front, etc) but Lopes shouldn't be constantly on the bench like he's some sort of super-sub - on the evidence so far I'd say he's our best striker. Watkins I thought played okay first half, was surprised he was hooked. 

12 minutes ago, Jute said:

Sorry Al but Richardson was hopless again today. 

Haven't suggested he wasn't mate BUT as soon as things started going wrong he was singled out for criticism that was unjust in my opinion.

Incredible that apart from suggestion by Rico that Miovski should have been hooked early on in favour of Ramirez, no one seems to have mentioned the fact that it he was half the finisher some would have you believe then we could still have escaped with a draw despite conceding four.

No criticism of McCrorie who had a shite day, Vinny who offered sweet fuck all and Duk who frankly looked like a duck out of water.

All round a bad day at the office but then I said before the season kicked off that given the turnover in playing staff I though this would be a season with as many downs as ups

9 hours ago, Slim said:

The only positive contribution Ramadani seems to have made so far is talking Miovski into signing for us. Certainly not the midfield enforcer he was heralded as, more a soggy Bisconti. 

He's good at covering the fullbacks and moving the ball on. Sitting in front of the defence basically. He's a very poor version of Ryan Jack basically, and at 26 I'm not convinced we're going to see a huge improvement in the time he's here. We've basically had to change the formation in order to fit him in, and I don't think we can continue with that. Barron can sit and cover the fullbacks as well as bringing the ball forward, sliding through a pass and being strong in the tackle, there's very little need for a guy who can only do the basics. 

This was to be expected though, the recruitment of an entire team was never really going to work. With the best will in the world, recruitment is always going to be a bit pot luck. Guys like Ramadani would be fine any other season, because we could work with him and incorporate into our squad, but when every other player is a new signing you're kind of burdened with them. It's why I was extremely surprised that we didn't get a single player with proven SPFL experience. Whilst it seems to have taken McGrath a while to perform, you could see yesterday what he offers in this league. Having that relative safety net in a signing counts for a lot, especially with the magnitude of our turnover. Likewise, having Considine for another year or two would have saved a lot of headaches in our team selections and he definitely wouldn't have been bullied by Tony fucking Watt in the way that Scales and Stewart were (I think Scales will turn out to be a very good player, just inconsistent with us so far and lacking a little experience).

There are a couple of glaring errors in our recruitment though. It's criminal that Stewart's pace didn't come up in our scouting. Strikes me that he was very much a Goodwin signing, I think he mentioned having watched him previously. Stewart would be fantastic for St Mirren or Livingston, where they often sit in with little gap between midfield and defence. He's like Obileye (but perhaps worse) in that regard. We're asking him to come out with the ball and also cover that large gap as we pile forward with our attacking football. He's completely unsuitable for the way we're asking him to play. That's where I'd expect our recruitment team to be able to talk some sense into our manager (the same problem occurred time and time again under McInnes), and use "the data" to explain that just because Goodwin saw a guy when St Mirren manager, that doesn't mean he's good enough for Aberdeen, or a particular style of football.

Thing is, we can't afford to do the same again in January and the summer, recruitment has to be incremental (which is why Cormack's neglecting of it for three consecutive windows was so destructive). That means a back to basics approach with some of the team. Ramadani can stick to his one track covering, Richardson concentrate on just running up and back again (he often forgets the latter) and Stewart sticks to heading and short passing or punting it. It's going to take us at least another two windows to fix the mess we've created. Hopefully Cormack can now see that throwing money at his problems doesn't really work either. There's a lot of expensive dross in those signings.

1 minute ago, Panda said:

He was at fault for both Celtic goals yesterday btw, for anyone getting sentimental.

One Celtic goal, there was only one blame for the second. There's no sentimentality, just pragmatism. It doesn't matter anyway, it's clear that Stewart is worse than him and Scales has missed several games and been inconsistent otherwise. We were promised exciting signings in that area and the opposite has occurred.

Made a last minute bid to get down to this game but it was luckily sold out by then.Buckie v Banks o Dee instead,good game,good patter,better for the health

Hearts on Saturday - think we need McRorie at R/B to see if it has an effect on Stewart,drop Miovski for Duk

Roos

McRorie Stewart Scales Coulson

Barron Ramadani Clarkson

Vinnie Duk or Ramirez Hayes

Edited by Elgindon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

One Celtic goal, there was only one blame for the second. There's no sentimentality, just pragmatism. It doesn't matter anyway, it's clear that Stewart is worse than him and Scales has missed several games and been inconsistent otherwise. We were promised exciting signings in that area and the opposite has occurred.

He scored Celtic's first and let Giakoumakis get in front of him for the second.

At fault for both goals. 

He better buck up his ideas in time for dealing with Haaland in the Euro 2024 qualifiers in March.

• Like 1

^^Ha,glad someone else pointed this out. Duk was running alongside the Red Shed last w/e,and they started the Doooook chant.Looked (to me) like he looked up in a bemused WTF moment,and then didnt seem to  acknowledge them back,.....unlike Roooos who I thinks worked it out.

Look forward to your prose efforts.....

Edited by Elgindon

For me, it's more the fact that they've reused it rather than just kept it to one player. Rooooooos seems fine, and it'd have the added benefit of sounding like we're trying to put him off his kicking. Thus when the away fans are actually attempting that, as they were in the utd game, he might not be distracted by it. 

Duk just needs a new song. 

He came from Cape Verde

To pittodrie street 

Where he shat on the jambos

With his lightening quick feet

He pished on the Arabs

And jizzed on the Huns

Luis Lopez is our Duk

Keep making the runs

Needs work.

Edited by RicoS321

15 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Good effort.am hearing that in the Joey Harper tune - 'He plays at Pittodrie,just north of Kincorth'......etc

"He came from Morton to play for Aberdeen, he's the finest inside forward the world has ever seen". (Wish I could remember what I did yesterday though).

2 hours ago, dons8321 said:

"He came from Morton to play for Aberdeen, he's the finest inside forward the world has ever seen". (Wish I could remember what I did yesterday though).

Am i confusing 2 different songs? "He drinks all the whisky,and Newcastle Brown,the Beach End boys are in town....." 

• Like 2