Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Ryan Strachan

That just makes it even more confusing. Nets an award and is released?

Hoops in swoop for kid Strachan

Month’s trial for defender Ryan

By Andrew Moir

Published: 18/06/2008

CELTIC today offered freed Dons defender Ryan Strachan an SPL lifeline.

The 17-year-old centre back was one of several youth players allowed to leave Pittodrie this summer.

But now the Scotland youth cap is heading to Parkhead next month for a month-long trial with the league champions as he looks to rebuild his career.

“I'm looking forward to training with Celtic,†said the former St Machar Academy pupil.

“Nothing has been decided yet but it’s a huge boost the team that won the league last season is looking at me.

“Celtic is a huge club and it would be great to get a chance with them but I’ll need to impress during the trial.

“I was disappointed when Aberdeen said they weren’t keeping me but I just have to look to recover from this setback.

“But hopefully I'll have something finalised within the next few weeks.â€

Dundee United, Inverness Caley Thistle and Motherwell are also clamouring for Strachan’s signature.

The SPL trio are all ready to offer him a chance if things fail to work out properly with the Hoops.

And Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood would love nothing more than to see the teen defender prove him wrong.

Calderwood said: “Telling young players like Ryan they are leaving is one of the hardest parts of the job.

“But I would be pleased to see him and all the rest of the lads get fixed up with other clubs as soon as they can.â€

The decision to release Strachan was certainly a surprise after the youngster won the Clydesdale Bank Premier League U19 rising star for February.

Neil McVitie, David Ross, Jordan Halsman, Martin Skinner and Greg Lamberty where also released along with Strachan.

Peterhead are tracking McVitie following a successful loan spell at Balmoor last season although Raith Rovers and Greenock Morton have also shown an interest.

Blue Toon boss Neale Cooper is also keen on David Ross and Martin Skinner.

Lamberty has joined Highland League side Huntly after leaving Pittodrie.

Meanwhile, Calderwood is still waiting on a decision from Alan Maybury as to whether he’s going to accept Aberdeen’s contract offer.

The full back has been offered the chance to pen a permanent Dons deal but has yet to make up his mind.

Several English clubs are reportedly running the rule over Maybury and he could yet opt to return south of the border.

The Republic of Ireland cap is expected to announce his plans soon.

Now I'd usually disagree with you on principle but this highlights JC's biggest flaw.

>:D

Which one the fact that he has no idea abouy youth development or fact he is yet again allowing a player to leave us hanging on for his decision.

this highlights JC's biggest flaw.

I can't think of one youth player that JC's released who's gone on to prove him wrong?  Must be doing something right.  ;)

All Celtic are doing is taking a chance on a young boy, they have a history of that*...

*allegedly

• 11 months later...

Ryan Strachan released along with every other member of the Celtic U19 squad this week.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/article2440487.ece

Of course, Aberdeen are the only team that can't bring through youth players.  ::)

Would be nice if we could pick up a few future talents. Sounds like the whole Under-19's were axed for reasons other than ability...

Still may be one or two talents in their.

Exactly! You can't judge a player by the team's overall performance. If memory serves me correctly, in 1999/00 season when we finished bottom of the league, our regular keeper was Jim Leighton, one of our main central defenders was Russell Anderson, Eoin Jess was our most notable midfielder, and we had Winters and Stavrum up front!

Cannae base your decision on a single player by the team's overall results. I'm sure there'll be some crackin players up for grabs from the Celtic youth squad. Then again, for every gem there's probably five Bryan Pruntys.