Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Newcastle Takeover

5 hours ago, baggy89 said:

Seen this argued on twitter this morning. 

Without wishing to go all Dave Cormack. He is a striker with 10+ EPL goals in each season he's played, this is his fifth season. Only 3 this season so far so statistically he's due another 7 at least. It arguably weakens Burnley as relegation rivals. 

As an outsider Newcastle need a workhorse number 9 to hold up and create space for the likes of St Maximin and Joelinton. Suppose Callum Wilson should be that player but Woods likes a header and the Trippier signing probably compliments that. Ordinarily wouldn't be an out of place signing, just is because of the Saudi's.

In fairness Baggy, on reflection i can certainly see the logic in your reasoning.

I guess my initial reaction had just been that if signing a striker given their cash and dire league position I'd have expected them to sign someone a bit more free scoring 

The signings look peculiar based on their dire predicament in the league.  19 games to go and all they can really hope for is to catch Watford because the other teams above them are 8 points in front.  Why you would want to prioritise a right back in their situation is a bit strange, it's almost the area of the pitch where you could chuck anyone in.  You would not think Trippier will change the team all that much.  Wood looks a competent striker but I agree with you BigAl, if you had all the money in the world would Chris Wood really be high up on your list?

13 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Wood looks a competent striker but I agree with you BigAl, if you had all the money in the world would Chris Wood really be high up on your list?

All the money in the world only means something if you avoid relegation. Next season if Newcastle stay up, then they can get top players in. Right now, most top players won’t sign and you also want to avoid wage thief’s. They were there with Michael Owen a few years back…a disgrace of a player for Newcastle. Total wage thief. 
mall Newcastle need to do is stay up and weakening Burnley and hopefully getting goals through Chris Wood on the end of Trippers crosses might just get them to 17th. It’s all they need and all the goal is, right now.

did I mention Michael Owen is a wage thief. 

9 hours ago, sheepheid said:

All the money in the world only means something if you avoid relegation. Next season if Newcastle stay up, then they can get top players in. Right now, most top players won’t sign and you also want to avoid wage thief’s. They were there with Michael Owen a few years back…a disgrace of a player for Newcastle. Total wage thief. 
mall Newcastle need to do is stay up and weakening Burnley and hopefully getting goals through Chris Wood on the end of Trippers crosses might just get them to 17th. It’s all they need and all the goal is, right now.

did I mention Michael Owen is a wage thief. 

I agree 17th has to be the goal sheepheid.  Trouble is, you say next season they can get top players in if they stay up.  In order to get top players there instead of Man City, Man U, Liverpool and the rest, they are gonna have to sign 11 wage thieves otherwise you just wouldn't go there above these top teams.  It's a real dilemma for anyone with a bit of ambition to try and break into the top 5 or 6 in that league that you have to just pay stupid money to get anyone of a good standard into the club.  It must be crap for team moral though, at the moment they will have a right back who is probably earning twice what anyone else is on.

I hope they don’t do that if they stay up though. I hope they take a few years to steadily improve the squad each year and gradually climb the league. I think trying to out bid and out-pay the top teams and risk getting wage thieves that won’t graft is a really bad move.