Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Newcastle Takeover

Got to imagine a few in the boardrooms around England will be squirming this morning at the thought of Mike Ashley selling out to the Saudis.  The top 4 or 5 in England have got a cosy little thing going where they share the trophies and Champions League money between them so would be great to see their reactions if this takeover goes through.  With financial fair play well and truly in the bin I am looking forward to seeing the geordies shake things up.

Yep, that's what fitba is all about. At least they're not trying to hide it. I don't get why people even watch that pish down South, it's pathetic. Although it won't stop Scotland trying to follow in its footsteps. I'm guessing that if nobody walked away with Ashley in charge, a Saudi dictator won't be a problem. 

• Like 2

Fucking delighted if this goes through

Used to regularily go down to St James when we were playing at home as Newcastle was quicker for me.

Haven't been down for a few years now as the football on offer has been fucking depressing.

Chuck a few hunner millions into the pot and see how it shakes out.

4 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

You don't watch ANY English fitba, Rico? 

Maybe a handful of match of the day highlights per season. Usually only if there's a Scotland player kicking about. Often check to see if Scotland players are getting a game or not too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Maybe a handful of match of the day highlights per season. Usually only if there's a Scotland player kicking about. Often check to see if Scotland players are getting a game or not too. 

Ah, you really should try it Rico, so much more enjoyable than the Scottish stuff.  It is actually entertainment compared to just turning up to watch our crap simply because that is what we have always done so we'll keep going regardless of whether it is worth seeing or not.  Watching that Liverpool V Man City game last weekend was honestly like watching a different sport compared to the shite that is served up in our league.  I dislike a lot of the circus that surrounds the EPL but the quality of fitba is unquestionably on another level.  I'd compare it to watching a couple of 28 handicapers knocking it around your local golf course then going to watch The Masters.  Pains me to say it mind.

11 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Ah, you really should try it Rico, so much more enjoyable than the Scottish stuff.  It is actually entertainment compared to just turning up to watch our crap simply because that is what we have always done so we'll keep going regardless of whether it is worth seeing or not.  Watching that Liverpool V Man City game last weekend was honestly like watching a different sport compared to the shite that is served up in our league.  I dislike a lot of the circus that surrounds the EPL but the quality of fitba is unquestionably on another level.  I'd compare it to watching a couple of 28 handicapers knocking it around your local golf course then going to watch The Masters.  Pains me to say it mind.

I have seen English football before. For every Liverpool v man city, there's a Burnley against Newcastle. I just don't find it very enjoyable, although I'd watch a game if it was on in the pub or whatever. To be honest, outside of the dons or Scotland, I rarely watch any tele fitba, although I enjoy the Friday night first division games. I'll get my fill of premiership players on Saturday at Hampden. 

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Love the way Pirate broadcasting of TV is deemed unacceptable for an owner of a premier league club but being involved in state sponsored murder and terrorism gets a pass. 

Just like 1700  dirty smelly bigots singing about Irish terrorists deemed acceptable but an impressionable thirteen year old launching an empty plastic bottle is worthy of such a furore

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably right sheepheid but despite his movement over to the dark side, I quite like him.  He is everything you would want in your club manager in a Roy Keane-ish kind of way; passionate, doesn't shirk anything, would give blood to the cause and most importantly players would want to play for him and sign for him.  Like Mourinho was first time around at Chelsea, you get the impression players would run through a brick wall for him which is demonstrated by the number of late goals scored by the huns.  Unlike our manager, Gerrard is a leader of men. 

He is exactly the type Newcastle need to attract a higher calibre of player.  Initially Newcastle are surely going to be looking at players that cannot get a game for the very top clubs in England maybe like Rice, Mings, Lingard, maybe even Sterling or Kane.  If you were a top class English player you would surely sign for Gerrard far more so than Fonseca or Eddie Howe.

Edited by wokinginashearerwonderland

Disagree that Gerrard is exactly what Newcastle need. Newcastle need to survive this season and stay up. That is all. In an ideal world there will be a manager who comes in, does that and kicks on with bringing in big players in the various transfer windows.  Gerrard has no experience of a relegation battle and I don’t believe he is what Newcastle need right now.  He has very little experience as a manager in general. He has been in charge of a team who have won a league because their main rivals imploded. Admittedly, I do think he has done a good job with Rangers but the public out pouring of how good he is has been fuelled massively by how shite Celtic have been for the past 12-18 months. 
Did I mention he’s a horrible cunt. 
I think that Unless Newcastle pull a rabbit out of the hat, the project this year is to get someone in to keep the club up. Perhaps a Roy Hodgson or someone like that.  Just in until the end of the season. 
Then by that time, there will perhaps be some movement in top managers, who know the club is safe in the EPL and would welcome an opportunity like that.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, scotfree said:

Clever move as at worse it handicaps one of their relegation rivals even if Wood does not workout for them. 

£25m for a 30 year old striker is mental though. 

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Clever move as at worse it handicaps one of their relegation rivals even if Wood does not workout for them. 

£25m for a 30 year old striker is mental though. 

Made even more mental by the fact he isn't even a particularly good 30 year old striker 😲

Seen this argued on twitter this morning. 

Without wishing to go all Dave Cormack. He is a striker with 10+ EPL goals in each season he's played, this is his fifth season. Only 3 this season so far so statistically he's due another 7 at least. It arguably weakens Burnley as relegation rivals. 

As an outsider Newcastle need a workhorse number 9 to hold up and create space for the likes of St Maximin and Joelinton. Suppose Callum Wilson should be that player but Woods likes a header and the Trippier signing probably compliments that. Ordinarily wouldn't be an out of place signing, just is because of the Saudi's.