Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons v Staggies Match Thread

Playing two games a week and adding new players every few days (it feels like it), there's not many training sessions really and therefore it's difficult to get any sort of tactical identity or cohesion.

The international break will be good for us. Recharge the batteries, some proper training sessions now for Glass to work on things, and a chance for the new guys to properly settle.

Tough run of fixtures now (Motherwell A, St Johnstone H, St Mirren A) - 7-9 points is doable though. Would like to see one more in before the window shuts (have heard whispers we might beat Hibs to Jamie McCart) but I'm pretty easy with the squad we have until January.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Lewis           
           McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Longstaff Hayes

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins 

That back 3 is all right sided though.

No sure what's worse. That you picked 12 players, or that even when picking too many you still missed out Mackenzie.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Playing two games a week and adding new players every few days (it feels like it), there's not many training sessions really and therefore it's difficult to get any sort of tactical identity or cohesion.

The international break will be good for us. Recharge the batteries, some proper training sessions now for Glass to work on things, and a chance for the new guys to properly settle.

Tough run of fixtures now (Motherwell A, St Johnstone H, St Mirren A) - 7-9 points is doable though. Would like to see one more in before the window shuts (have heard whispers we might beat Hibs to Jamie McCart) but I'm pretty easy with the squad we have until January.

I always think the start of the season is tough because with Europe it’s two games in a week while still trying to piece a squad together. Realistically we will sign players at the end of the window and, like this year, by the time we get to the crucial stage of Europe we’re restricted with personnel, injury, and ultimately little practice/training. It is what it is. Add to the fact we’ve a new manager and coaching staff, they basically coach and try to apply new ideas during preseason then it’s very little on field training when it’s pre game prep and post game rejuvenation.

Today was interesting, I think we started the game with 4 central midfielders, minimal real and natural width, and none are overly creative. I really hope, but don’t see it, that a natural winger and a creative midfielder are signed. Rumors have been said about Ferguson, have to assume with longstaff and jenks signed that lewis is away.

I only saw the highlights but Samuels and Longstaffe had some nice moves/crosses.

Samuels missed header was shocking though.

Ramsay looks great!!!

We really need to work on our finishing and shots on goal.

I remember always being incredibly impressed by the precision of some of McGinn's finishing.

Come on Russell...sort it out.

10 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Lewis           
           McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Longstaff Hayes

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins 

That back 3 is all right sided though.

Bates is left side CB, so he'll be ok and can pick a pass unlike Gallagher

9 hours ago, Panda said:

Are they strong whispers Panda ?

2 hours ago, RedKev said:

Bates is left side CB, so he'll be ok and can pick a pass unlike Gallagher

Pretty certain he's right sided.

Also, Gallagher had a couple of excellent cross field passes yesterday, although overall he was poor (McRorie was worse). It was telling that McRorie and Gallagher were swapped at half time.

It's always difficult at this point of a season for a relatively new management team to implement so many changes while playing a tight schedule of matches 

Less time on the training pitch, traveling a lot, means less understanding and cohesion during matches.

The break comes at the right time I feel.

There are glaring deficiencies in the team when they play, namely, that the team look uncomfortable when not on the ball.

Whatever we thought of McInnes tactics, his team's were hard to beat or breakdown because every player knew what to do when they didn't have the ball.

On evidence seen so far, this squad need to be better organized off the ball.

They also need to add some zip into the play.

Allowing teams such as County to look comfortable while we slowed play down just isn't on.

We could hear the impatience of the crowd yesterday when this happened.

The last thing we want to happen is for the team to feel uncomfortable playing at home because of this.

There are signs of promise within the side.

A couple of weeks with the coaches should in theory help.

I fully expect a hot and cold run of form during this season.

Whether the majority of fans will accept this remains to be seen

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Are they strong whispers Panda ?

Not sure if Bates signing has ruled it out. Also think if we had made the group stages we would have had a need for a bigger squad.

So wouldn't be surprised if the interest has now cooled. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Not sure if Bates signing has ruled it out. Also think if we had made the group stages we would have had a need for a bigger squad.

So wouldn't be surprised if the interest has now cooled. 

Aye that sounds about right in my opinion

16 hours ago, Panda said:

No sure what's worse. That you picked 12 players, or that even when picking too many you still missed out Mackenzie.

Oh FFS.

oops

if we play 3 at the back then Hayes is better suited to wing back.

MacKenzie a good left back but not so good going forward. 

And take out Ferguson (assuming he’s being sold)