Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The last game of the season

34 minutes ago, tup1 said:

It's not just the Dons. Your attitude is why mediocrity is fully acceptable in Scottish football.

I'm saying if the Dons and a number of other teams think they can't win the league from the off, which is what they seem to think, then they shouldn't even bother their arses entering.

You can't even state your position, so it's blatantly clear that your attitude is more of a problem. I've stated mine on numerous occasions (in summary, it's point b) above). 

37 minutes ago, tup1 said:

Because what exactly is the point of that? It's not a competition, it doesn't fit the definition

You're not saying anything remotely controversial or new here. Football stopped being a competitive sport in this country at least two decades ago. I'm asking you what you'd do to tackle it. Not just repeat the same thing back to me.

I'm not trying to say anything new or controversial. Nor is it my job to solve the problem as I'm not involved in Scottish football.

I'm saying we are shit and we are fully accepting of being shit, which is why we're shit. McInnes fell into line behind the two Glasgow teams and he's sacked now.

Considine never made the Euro squad because our whole squad gave up trying in January. It's his own fault. 

I can't back this acceptance of mediocrity is the point I'm making, which you're failing to grasp. I won't put any money towards a team which sees 3rd place as the pinnacle of it's possible achievement. I'm tired of hearing that. 1st place should be the target obviously. If they can't target 1st place, I'd question the club taking part in the league at all. May as well play Highland League.

Accepting mediocrity is just another term for being realistic. No amount of psychological mumbo jumbo is going to change the reality that we can't win the league at present. Setting unreachable targets for the sake of it is pointless.

The only genuinely ambitious thing I could see the club doing is pushing for some kind of radical reform of the game - joining an Atlantic/British league or some nonsense that nobody wants but which would give us a chance of doing something more interesting than finishing third in Scotland every year. Beyond that pie in the sky scenario or some idiotic billionaire throwing money at us for no reason I don't expect anything remotely interesting to happen to us in the league for the rest of my lifetime other than potentially getting relegated at some point.

I don’t agree, sorry. We used to have a competitive league. Anti competitive practices destroyed it.

The TV coverage is chiefly to blame. Remove all the advantages given to two clubs only and the league will be competitive again. Not exactly rocket surgery.

52 minutes ago, tup1 said:

I don’t agree, sorry. We used to have a competitive league. Anti competitive practices destroyed it.

The TV coverage is chiefly to blame. Remove all the advantages given to two clubs only and the league will be competitive again. Not exactly rocket surgery.

Yet when I asked you the question earlier you didn't answer. I entirely agree with you. 

13 hours ago, tup1 said:

I agree that's what should be done, the problem is nobody can do it because of the system used to implement changes, chiefly that Rangers and Celtic would have to agree. It's like saying all Westminster needs to do to solve inequality is abolish private schools, raise taxes on the rich and implement a basic income system. Knowing the answer isn't much use when there are self-interested cretins holding all the cards.

Edited by sancho_panza

11 hours ago, sancho_panza said:

I agree that's what should be done, the problem is nobody can do it because of the system used to implement changes, chiefly that Rangers and Celtic would have to agree. It's like saying all Westminster needs to do to solve inequality is abolish private schools, raise taxes on the rich and implement a basic income system. Knowing the answer isn't much use when there are self-interested cretins holding all the cards.

And that is Milne’s appalling legacy: when the chance was there to change the rules he sided with Celtic and the ball was burst.

• Like 1