Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Forgotten Man - Ronald Hernandez????????

Probably one of the worst debuts I've seen in a dons' shirt, allowing for money paid (the boy Anderson signed by brown was worse for example, but a free punt). Tommy Wright or Pepper maybe. Rabbit in the headlights falls way short of describing it. Was like he had never played right back before. Young loon though, a big move for him and thrown straight in unprepared so with a pre-season we can hopefully see something from him. Logan's concentration actually seemed to improve once he joined too, so he'll have to be decent to keep him out.

• 5 months later...

Just repeating what I wrote in the St.Mirren thread as I think it merits further discussion. Hernandez has been a bizarre signing. He cost us reportedly around 800k putting him not far off our record signing and he's a Venezuelan international. Yet he's not even got a sniff of first team action this season. If he really is that much worse than what we have got how can we get a signing that badly wrong? I think probably Forrester had more game time than he has had so far. 

Fact that McInnes went with a centre half at right back on Saturday rather than play Hernandez suggests there is something not right with him. Not seen enough of the boy to judge him but as Rico said he looked like he had never played right back when he made his debut and guessing that has continued in training for him not to be getting a look in when we need a replacement at right back or right wing back. Would not surprise me if he is moved on in the January window or put out on loan at least.

His performance wasnt that bad and feels an agenda is at play, are you telling me a guy with over 20 caps for Venezula and has played in top Norwegian league is hopeless ?  Am willing to give the benefit of the doubt first game maybe unsure etc .. he really hasnt been given a chance, whereas Kennedy, Taylor and even Logan can perform poorly for months but still get picked

1 hour ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

His performance wasnt that bad and feels an agenda is at play, are you telling me a guy with over 20 caps for Venezula and has played in top Norwegian league is hopeless ?  Am willing to give the benefit of the doubt first game maybe unsure etc .. he really hasnt been given a chance, whereas Kennedy, Taylor and even Logan can perform poorly for months but still get picked

I disagree, his opening game for us was one of the worst performances I've seen. It was horrendous. I don't know if you were at the game, you had to be there to appreciate it as a lot of it probably didn't make the cameras. It was like watching a child, he'd wonder away from his position, stand a metre away from his teammate for no apparent reason, treat the ball like a hot tattie firing it at McGeouch to get rid of it etc. It was head in hands stuff. The only saving grace was that it wasn't possible to get any worse. And it didn't. He wasn't completely shite against the Huns in the opening game of this season. However, he also wasn't better than Logan and that is the benchmark. With Logan getting poorer there was a great opportunity there for Hernandez. Unfortunately, other players being shite doesn't make Hernandez any better. With moving to a back three and playing some excellent football this season, keeping out of the team was completely justified. McLennan had some good performances in the right wing back role and merited his place, and Kennedy had a couple of good performances before injury too. that said, I think the right wing back role is a less riskier position to try him out for a few 30 minute stretches here and there if we're comfortable in games, so hopefully we'll see him get some game time soon. He certainly wasn't the person to risk bringing on against St Mirren, and Hoban was the right call, who did fine at right back.

Aye, that was the highlights reel that was doing the rounds when he signed. Mostly from a single u21 game, so probably not indicative of much. I agree about wing back as a suitable position. I think it's difficult, as Logan hasn't done that much wrong, McLennan has played well at right wing back and Kennedy has worked hard whilst not being that great. 

To be honest, as soon as it turned out he was average he was always on a hiding to nothing. The price was so far out of our normal range, he was going to have to be good to get the squad behind him. In any workplace, if some overpaid superstar turns up to do the job that you already do, but worse it gets frustrating. He's the fitba equivalent of Serco coming in to fuck up the test and trace for the NHS.

• 5 weeks later...

Dave seems to be keen on having his say on all matters and keeping the support informed of things.

Intrigued to find out whether he'll be open about this or will it all be swept under the carpet.

Good luck to Ronnie regardless, just a pity we never got to see the real you as there is patently a player in there.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...