Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Maguire in the media

Maguire is in line to make only his seventh start of the season tonight for Aberdeen - but the striker is determined to prove he should be a first-choice pick every week.The 18-year-old was warned by Jimmy Calderwood to change his ways at Pittodrie despite being top scorer in the reserves for the past two seasons.Maguire worked overtime in the gym and altered his diet to boost his prospects and vowed to fire the Pittodrie side up the table when he got the call from Dons boss Calderwood.Despite following orders Maguire demanded talks with Calderwood when he was still being overlooked for a first-team start.He said: "I have been here since I was eight years old and full-time for the last three years so it is frustrating not to have played a full 90 minutes for the first team yet. I asked the manager why I hadn't had a good whack at first-team level and he admitted it had been partly his fault and I just needed to stick in."Hopefully the gaffer can see I deserve my chance to get a good run in the team from the start now and I had a word with him about it last week."As a striker you need a run of games to raise confidence and get among the goals. I am confident I can do that. Hopefully if I keep working hard my chance will come."Maguire is set to get his chance against the Steelmen but is aware defeat will end Dons' chances of retaining third place in the SPL and a return to Europe.

I did think at the start of the season he hadnt been givena fair crack at the whip but...In his last start (against hibs), he was so gash he had to be subbed!

IT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Padre got him spot on, the most ineffective player I have ever seen. Thinking of the competition, I still agree.

Spot on.

The guy just isn't good enough for the SPL imo.

We seem to have a habit of over hyping youngsters.  I don't know if the EE is to blame, but Mackie was the next Owen, Maguire is the best youngster Nichol has ever worked with, and Diamond too was hyped up.  Diamond is doing well now that he has stopped believing the hype. 

Not sure Maguire will ever make it for the Dons.  Another John Stewart I fear.

The thing I don't really get is that Michael Paton has gone to Brechin on loan without getting a sniff of the first team.  Heard alot of good reports about him and it would've been good to see him come off the bench a couple of times.  I think Calderwood has a tendency to leave players in teh reserves for far too long and lets them get stale.  Martin Skinner and Stuart Smith are another couple who should've been blooded by now if you listen to some of the folks that go to the reserve games.  You should be giving the young lads a whiff of first team action at 18, work out there and then if they're up to it because reserve team football is nowhere near the level that first team action is.  Maguire has proved time and again that he isn't up to it and should be moved on, even if only on loan.

Maguire should be made to look at his performances when he has come on. The fact that he's not had a full 90 minutes is nobodys fault but his own. At this point in his career he would be lucky to be a regular starter for a first division team. If I have to watch him chase his first touch halfway across the pitch one more time I'm going to explode. In the same token, I'm not sure how flapping your arms around like a tourettes sufferer helps you play football. The kid can put in a reasonable cross but getting into the position to cross is usually down to pure luck than anything else. Get him loaned out to Peterhead or somewhere like that where he can learn to graft for a season and then see where he is ability-wise. He hasnt proven himself at the required level so he's got no right to demand a start.

Darren Mackie Mark II  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I'm not one to berate players during games but I stood watching him ping 25 yard crosses to a.n.other and trap the ball between his ear lobe/shoulder, both knees, shin/ground, bum/ankle during the halftime break in Munich.

Half an hour later he was on the park playing and the ball was passed to him at the edge of their box, during open play.  A peach of a ball which he 'controlled' with about three touches, ran after, then weaved his way back to our half because there was a nasty looking defender there.

I screamed my guts out at the wee fanny.  :hammer: