Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Dundee Sat 19/8

No chance more than 13k there.

Stevie May's two goals were the only things positive. The man has a great instinct.

McInnes is a prick. What has Wright done to him?

Shambolic performance and quite frankly embarrassing.

This team can't get close to winning the league.

You dreamers crack on and celebrate whatever you interpret as success. AFC is shite.

Away & have a lie down in a darkened room,ya bam.

Boy that was hard earned 3 points.

I wrote about our defence being poor after the Hamilton opener and even more concerned today, we are worse at the back than last season and having Arnason on the bench doesn't give me much confidence either. I would be giving that young lad Harvie a chance to stake a claim if we are not going to sign anyone further as we have disasters aplenty awaiting us with out current options.

ANyway back to the game and we start with the same line up from last week. MacKay-Stevens is no Johnny Hayes that's for sure, not claiming he is not going to be a good signing, but doesn't have the work rate of Hayes, which when he goes out on the left he leaves Considine exposed. I would say that Wright should have been in the team ahead of him. Christie is a good player, but nothing much was happening for him today and he ain't a winger, I was surprised to see Tansey hooked and him staying on the park. I thought Stewart did well when he came on and there is certainly talent within him. I also noticed he got a good reception from the Dundee fans when he came on.

Stevie May though is a class signing and his second goal today was class, it looked good from our seats in the Merkie and was even better after seeing it on Alba tonight.

Dundee certainly gave us a game in the second half and should have taken the lead when Allen managed to put the ball wide when it looked easier to score and our defence was trying their hardest to give them chances, but we managed to dig ourselves out of a hole despite not playing very well.

Glad we got the points though, but we cannot afford to be so slack against better teams as we will be punished. Plenty for McInnes to mull over in the coming days as he cannot expect to pick the same team every week like he likes to do with our current squad.

As for the rain at half time.  I have seen horrendous weather at Pittodrie over the years, but that rain today was as bad as I have ever seen

No chance more than 13k there.

Stevie May's two goals were the only things positive. The man has a great instinct.

McInnes is a prick. What has Wright done to him?

Shambolic performance and quite frankly embarrassing.

This team can't get close to winning the league.

You dreamers crack on and celebrate whatever you interpret as success. AFC is shite.

What I'd say to that is, whilst I agree with parts of your post, that McInnes isn't a prick. It's his job to get 3 points, and as usual he delivered. I also want to see more of Wright but I think we've got to trust the people who're working with him every day. We've got a squad that's been put together over the past month and they've managed to win all 4 of their domestic encounters thus far. I agree the performances are far from perfect, but I think we've got potential to do really well this season - my only criticism would be we're maybe one good defender short.

Dundee will do ok, they've got a decent side and if you put May or O'halleron in their team it would be them sitting on 9 points, not us. I'm in the 'grateful for what we've got' camp, and I'd happily take 'winning ugly' every week.

Christian, I don't agree that Dundee will do ok. They were really bad today.

I would also like to win every week and winning ugly doesn't bother me at all.

We agree on the bizarre continuing exclusion of Wright.

But introducing Stewart? He was fucking appalling. And GMS today was a shocking excuse of a footballer.

So unlike you I don't trust those in charge. We are a car crash waiting to happen and it WILL HAPPEN.

Christian, I don't agree that Dundee will do ok. They were really bad today.

I would also like to win every week and winning ugly doesn't bother me at all.

We agree on the bizarre continuing exclusion of Wright.

But introducing Stewart? He was fucking appalling. And GMS today was a shocking excuse of a footballer.

So unlike you I don't trust those in charge. We are a car crash waiting to happen and it WILL HAPPEN.

I'm happy to agree to disagree then, but I hope to fuck I'm right - I don't want to see that car crash.

Poor performance today. A lot of players not at the races today. Thank fuck for Steve May. Two well taken goals with 2nd being a belter however it was scored when Dundee were down to 9. We were struggling to create anything when it was 11 v 11.

Very surprised to see Rooney brought on to play wide left when Wright was sitting on the bench.

I was told theres no need to panic when i was merely asking the question why arent we clicking as well as we should.

DM it seems is to blame for some of this.

I mean why isnt Wright starting every game?

Has he shat in DM'S sports bag?

Why is he SO loyal to McLean and Conso.

Why wont he try some young lads ...what happened to shoving Ross on with 20 to go? Who played very well every time i saw him.

Try some new stuff ffs.

Good 3 points again but where's our fluency if the comments im reading are true.

Still to see the game and/or highlights admittedly.

The correct side won. That said Dundee did have 3 huge chances that they didn't take, 2 of which directly stemmed from our rank bad play. In addition the goal they scored was another "shoot ourselves in the foot job" also caused by our own really slack play.

Has to be said that Reynolds has become a total liability. Needs replaced now, though I'd actually prefer Consi getting his place and us signing a left back or promoting young Harvie up.

Christie had one of those days where absolutely nothing came off, Shinnie was also rank rotten ( bound to happen now and again despite his consistency) and Joe was worryingly shaky against the cross ball and didn't cover himself in glory with his attempt at stopping their goal.

Positives were obviously May getting his goals on his home debut, Tansey had a great game ( why was he taken off unless he had a wee niggle) and overall this was a game that in past seasons we would either have drawn or lost. Next up Partick. Was always a difficult place to go in our glory years, I'd be perfectly happy with the same result as yesterday but lets hope we put in a much improved performance

Just watched the highlights back on Red TV. Exactly as I rembered it - fairly pish. Disagree with Rocket, thought Stewart was good when he came on, played some nice stuff and unlucky not to score after a great run. Every defender made a mistake that could have resulted in a goal yesterday, as did Tansey and Shinnie with sloppy passing, with Christie putting the icing on the cake with a beautiful assist for theirs.

I understand he's young and won't play every game, but Wright should have been on that pitch for at least the last 30 minutes. GMS was pash, as was Christie. Bringing on the black Goodwillie is embarrassing, he's gash. As Goodwillie, Parker, Monakana, Burns etc etc have before, he's taking up game time that should be afforded to our youngster. McInnes needs to quickly see that he's pish and stop bringing him on and let him go in January. That's the trouble with having a big squad of senior players, you have to keep playing them. Rooney out wide with Wright on the bench is nonsense, although I understand he probably did it just to let him get some game time and offer some hold up play out wide.

May and O'Connor were good, McLean and maybe Tansey pass marks. Rest were pish.

Haha thanks Elgin  :thumbsup:

Watched the extended highlights on redtv in the end, thought Stewart looked decent when he came on. Peach of a header and excellent second goal from May. Match looked awful and like you had all four seasons in one game. Stands looked pretty busy but never saw the top deck. Defence looked a complete mess, won't be long until we get punished because of it.

I know I've said it before, but I really believe Reynold's assets would be better utilised in a left back position, with the emphasis very much on defending. We carry enough attacking threat from all other areas of the park, and I think Considine could play comfortably with O'Connor at centre back. So let's get the defenders defending, and give the (many) flare players in the team a solid platform to attack from.

Rockets criticism after yesterday's performance is over the top in my opinion, but it's not without foundation.

"Strikers win you games, but defenders win you titles". (Alex Ferguson?)

Leighton Miller McLeish. Schmeichel Bruce Pallister.

And many formations since.

Great shout. It's the truth. Build a rock. Create around it.

Nae sure about MR at LB. Get Shinnie back where he (naturally) belongs and Consi in the middle.

Screamingly obvious doesn't always compute. Particularly with football managers.

The most successful men on the planet never went to uni.

But managers are so thick, they might have benefited from critical thinking education.

I know I've said it before, but I really believe Reynold's assets would be better utilised in a left back position, with the emphasis very much on defending. We carry enough attacking threat from all other areas of the park, and I think Considine could play comfortably with O'Connor at centre back. So let's get the defenders defending, and give the (many) flare players in the team a solid platform to attack from.

Rockets criticism after yesterday's performance is over the top in my opinion, but it's not without foundation.

"Strikers win you games, but defenders win you titles". (Alex Ferguson?)

That's a big no for me, if OConnor and Considine are in the middle together we'd better be playing on sand as anyone with any sort of pace will leave us for dead through the middle.

I'd only take Shinnie back at left back if we signed a quality central midfielder. Shinnie is the engine in there, passion, bite, and pace too, he'd be hugely missed in there.

I think Reynolds played l/b a while during Craig Browns time.Dont think it worked and I think we'd miss shinnies drive in midfield.

We've added a lot of attack minded players,which may be contributing to a lack of defence protection?and while they work out who does what up front,we may have to endure a few skittery performances like Saturday.

If we get the right combination up front it should take the pressure off defence a bit(assuming theres no more signings to come).Dundee only came into that game because we were so disjointed

I am more inclined with Rockets view, there are serious issues with the side. We are completely imbalanced, if we dont play Wright we have 3 attacking CM's neither of which have pace nor are wingers.

Said it before Mclean is a waste of a jersey, put Christie there and Wright/GMS on the wings.

Considine is being exposed as Hayes pace covered for him a lot better teams will see this and exploit it

Reynolds, Mackay-Steven and Christie were hopeless on Sunday. In Christie's case, it was just a bad day at the office.  Mackay-Steven I'm really not convinced about and Reynolds, unfortunately, seems to be having more of these days than not. His confidence looks shot, the poor passback was the start of it on Saturday and it never got any better for him. O'Connor gave him a mouthful on a few occasions, especially as he had to run past Reynolds in a few instances to cover where Reynolds should have been.

Positives - May and O'Connor, and Stewart when he came on.  Two fantastic goals from May and he'll go from strength to strength now.

We're not fully firing just now but I'm confident it will come after the international break... get past Thistle with 3 points however we can.

I can't understand the argument that Considine should be in central defence.

The reason he's not playing there is very simple: the manager doesn't think he's good enough.

I doubt he thinks Conso is the best left back in the league either, but the philosophy of successive managers here is simple:  you can afford the luxury of a guy who isn't a brilliant left back, particularly if he's a guy with other attributes (adds height at either end for set pieces etc).  Central defence, on the other hand, is a position where it's much more crucial to get things right.

Some posters here and elsewhere seem to think Deek actually thinks Conso is a better central defender than the ones he's picking but he's not willing to move him from left back.  Frankly that's crazy.  If Deek thought he could strengthen his central defence by moving Conso there, he wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Conso did get some games in central defence last season when injuries, suspensions or lack of form forced Deek's hand and he had a couple of ok games before he then had a few that proved he wasn't good enough to be a first-pick central defender.  It was an experiment that failed, and it won't be tried again unless we have a crisis:  unfortunately I think with the central defenders on our books a crisis is all too likely, but if it comes to that Considine will just prove over again that he's not the answer.

I've predicted all along Taylor would be a far bigger miss than his detractors claimed.  Unless Arnason can prove me wrong in thinking we were mistaken in signing him, I think we're going to have real problems defensively this season and I think it will cost us our chance of second place.

Despite not being able to make games and only getting to watch what's available online I would tend to agree that the defence is our Achilles heel ATM. I wouldn't be surprised to see some money spent there before the window "slams shut" regardless of comments from the management that our dealings are done.

Arnason might be the answer, but I'd expect us to be looking at another CD or LB at least as, if we get injuries, we're pretty light on cover. CtS is right Fergie was all about building from a solid foundation at the back and who am I to disagree with that. Dek seems to like buying forwards though......