Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The proposed new stadium

Guest Caroline B

Guest Caroline B

With the proposed closure of The Bon Accord Baths and the Ice rink, it would seem that the cutbacks may have put the community stadium in doubt.

Surely there would be a public outcry if the council were to put it's cash into a stadium project rather than keep ammenties such as the ice rink and baths open.

I'm sure no one has thought about the consequences of the council cutbacks yet, which may infringe on any new Dons development.

With the likelyhood of being forced out of Pittodrie by 2012 due to saftet issues, we could in theory see AFC having to play home games away from the city altogether. I think it's about time the council come clean about what their intentions are towards AFC.

Guest Caroline B

Of course losing the Club from the City would cause far more aoutcry than losing the rink and baths but what I'm getting at is that the council should now make clear what they intend to do about it in order that the club can move ahead with any alternatives they may have

It would appear that the cost cutting is aimed purely at operating costs.

Yes, they're planning on closing Bon Accord Baths but they're still also going ahead with plans for a 50m olympic size pool.  Really can't see the sense in all the cost cutting just to build a multi-million pound pool just to train a few folk to swim fast.

The stadium will be ok.

Yes, they're planning on closing Bon Accord Baths but they're still also going ahead with plans for a 50m olympic size pool.  Really can't see the sense in all the cost cutting just to build a multi-million pound pool just to train a few folk to swim fast.

The stadium will be ok.

On the flip side, why bother building a new stadium and training facilities so that the team can play better? Its all necessary for general improvement. Building an Olympic size pool will increase the chances of them being able to host gala's and the like. Can only be good for the city.

• 4 months later...

The stadium will be ok.

My dad is involved with the sports council, the cost of operating and maintaining one the old pools over something like 5 years costs far more than what it would cost to build, operate and maintain a new state of the art pool over the same timescale. So, think of the saving over ten to fifteen years. Probably enough to build a new Council Stadium! ;)

Bon Accord was fairly run down the last time I competed there (maybe 2000/2001) but it seems a ridiculous idea to close it before a new one is given the go ahead. Equally well no new facility will be in the city centre so it will either have to have good public transport links to it (doubtful) or else those who don't have their own transport will have no easy access to facilities if there are none in the city centre.

Bon Accord was fairly run down the last time I competed there (maybe 2000/2001) but it seems a ridiculous idea to close it before a new one is given the go ahead. Equally well no new facility will be in the city centre so it will either have to have good public transport links to it (doubtful) or else those who don't have their own transport will have no easy access to facilities if there are none in the city centre.

The North Sea is undervalued in this case I think.

Hope they don't build it in Cove. What a disaster of an idea.

I can't agree with you on that. I think it's the perfect location for it.

If they build it beside (or move) the railway line so that they're beside eachother, it'll be an amazing new stadium.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind it staying down by the beach.

Guest swaddon

If they build it beside (or move) the railway line so that they're beside eachother, it'll be an amazing new stadium.

We can't stay by the beach, for one thing, it's bloody freezing, and also with the onset of global warming, in twenty years we'd probably be playing matches underwater.

I don't think they'll be moving the railway line! :lolabove:

I'd prefer Cove too to be honest, down at the beach, space will always be limited, out at Cove, we have the option to build training/youth facilities next to the stadium, even a hotel, office, etc, if needed.

If we can build a great looking stadium, it will look fantastic as the first thing you see when you approach the city from the south.