Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hatchet Face

donsdaft

If they can come up with a viable method of creating our own currency then I'd certainly listen to it. Having the Euro or English pound would make it a complete non starter for me.

Norway is not a member of the EU.

What do you mean a viable method of creating our own currency? They could create one tomorrow if they wanted (as could I). It's very simple. The fear-mongering this time round - and it will be fear-mongering - will be around currency valuation and mass-inflation. It will be presented with ignorance and repeated ad nauseam with ignorance, and we'll never get a true reflection of the debate. I can't see a situation where the Independence campaign doesn't put forward a Scottish currency though, it would be stupid not to. That will be Scotland's best option too.

Like you I suspect, I wouldn't want Scotland to join the EU.

What do you mean a viable method of creating our own currency? They could create one tomorrow if they wanted (as could I). It's very simple. The fear-mongering this time round - and it will be fear-mongering - will be around currency valuation and mass-inflation. It will be presented with ignorance and repeated ad nauseam with ignorance, and we'll never get a true reflection of the debate. I can't see a situation where the Independence campaign doesn't put forward a Scottish currency though, it would be stupid not to. That will be Scotland's best option too.

Like you I suspect, I wouldn't want Scotland to join the EU.

Spot on. I also wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Euro, anyone that thinks it is a viable currency needs their head looked at. Truly awful and I don't know of anyone that is happy with it. 

Well you're all off your heads.

The European Union is the way forward.

If it needs to be the Scottish Pound then so be it, I'll bow to the more fiscally astute of you.

But my instincts all lead to a federal Europe with continued controlled expansion.

Well you're all off your heads.

The European Union is the way forward.

If it needs to be the Scottish Pound then so be it, I'll bow to the more fiscally astute of you.

But my instincts all lead to a federal Europe with continued controlled expansion.

A Scottish pound is no use with the EU controls over surplus requirements. If they ditch that then we should join. Otherwise we're missing the most relevant control we could have as an independent country.

I'd far rather have Frankfurt monitoring my currency rather than London.

The inbred tory bastards make money out of the booms and money out of the busts, leaving the rest of us floundering.

I'd rather neither. Although a Scottish Pound would give us ways round the EU surplus requirements at least, so I could cope with EU membership. I'd rather just have access to the market with free movement.

Ive been to loads of cities in the world that are far nicer than london and with far less cunts.

I can name them if u want  8)

Fuck theresa May, fuck the queen, fuck the pope, fuck the tories, fuck no voters, fuck huns, fuck people who stamp on heads, fuck erseholes wanting a square go, fuck religion, fuck the Kardashians and kids who worship them, fuck trump, fuck isis, fuck shit music these days, fuck kanye west, fuck jeremy clarkson, fuck the middle eastern ways of treating women, fuck humidity, fuck the commonwealth, fuck wanky backpackers who disrespect other countries customs, fuck gangsters, fuck people who glass people in the face, fuck Scottish people who dont believe in their own beautiful nation, fuck cancer, fuck right wing parties and the cunts who are bored and follow them, fuck pedos, fuck suicide, fuck premature deaths, fuck shit food and finally FUCK ANYONE WHO SAYS BRITAIN IS A FUCKING COUNTRY!!!

If they can come up with a viable method of creating our own currency then I'd certainly listen to it. Having the Euro or English pound would make it a complete non starter for me.

Norway is not a member of the EU.

So what defines viable? If Nicola said "We propose implementing our own currency - the Scottish Pound; completely separate from the "English" pound" would you then support independence?

I'm not sure what else they could say.

Is Norway not a member of the EFTA and EEA? Are France, Holland and Germany not independent countries?

So what defines viable? If Nicola said "We propose implementing our own currency - the Scottish Pound; completely separate from the "English" pound" would you then support independence?

I would certainly entertain it. I'm not sure why it wasn't on the table the last time if it's a piece of piss?

I would certainly entertain it. I'm not sure why it wasn't on the table the last time if it's a piece of piss?

It is easy. It wasn't on the table because they couldn't have an honest and open discussion about it without hysteria ensuing. The currency discussion in the last indy ref was the most ill-informed, shouty debate about nothing in particular ever. I think the SNP (because it was SNP, not the indy campaign) thought it'd be too much for folk to get their heads round and too big a change that would freak people out.

If one good thing has come out of the last few years, I think it is that the everyone realises the Euro is pash, and that the GBP option is flakey at best and that a Scottish currency is now the best option. I think they can announce it nice and early (as soon as they get the date) and get any awkward questions and misunderstandings out in the open. If they start any GBP-sharing nonsense, I reckon I'd struggle to even vote.

The two things the "Better Together" campaign used against YES was the EU and currency. Darling constantly spouted tripe about the pound and how we would wouldn't get into the EU. This time around they are in a  predicament.While they will still bring up the currency issue, they have no ground on the EU seeing as we are being dragged out anyway and their broken promises on the vow will make people lest trusting towards them. I hope 2 things happen this time around. I hope that the YES campaign, the SNP and Nicola have what it takes to not get drawn into playground battles and i also hope that their is fairer media coverage on the independence side (no laughing at the back).

As for the currency issue, well i agree with Rico. A Scottish currency is the way forward and as long as the SNP have done their homework and have most of the answers, then its the way to go. It will be the area that the majority of "on the fence" types will want the answer to. I also agree with Rico in the fact that any pound sharing talk will not bode well. IMO it made the SNP look weak last time around and almost desperate to try latch on to something that wasn't necessary. It gave the BT campaigners the upper hand.

Because I guess the SNP felt it'd be too much for folks' fragile little minds to deal with.

My money's on you voting No again even if there was an excellent currency solution in place.  :wave:

GIBRALTAR IS SPANISH  :rofl:

That'll get the Tories foaming at the mouth

It would be fuckin hilarious if the English lost the last of their empire with a seperate Scotland and a united Ireland just to rub their noses in it.

They would only be left with the Welsh to bully.

Mind you, they could still turn up their noses at their own poor people, who it turn would doff their caps to their betters just like they have always done.

"Her Majesty, God bless her"

Because I guess the SNP felt it'd be too much for folks' fragile little minds to deal with.

My money's on you voting No again even if there was an excellent currency solution in place.  :wave:

I doubt there will be a vote. Brexit will collapse on its arse first.

Perhaps however the Tories in Scotland are growing in strength thanks to the unellectable Labour Party and the somewhat incompetent SNP.  There are many people who feel the SNP are treating large sections of Scotland as second class citizens.

Fuck the lot of them.

Leave the UK just to join the EU? How is that independent?

Are they really growing particularly strong though?  They have hit a peak for sure but still only got 22 % in the last scottish elections.  To add a little context in the 97 labour landslide general election they got 17.5 % of the vote in Scotland.  Incredibly given how shit a year that was for the tories in the 2015 general election they got even less, a meager 14.6. 

I'm not convinced an indy Scotland would go for full membership, at the very least not straight away anyway but even if they did I always find the "how is that independent?" question a very confusing one.  Would you say that all other 27 eu nations are not self determining independent countries?  The two unions are very different beasts and bear little similarity in comparison other than the name  E.g..  One requires handing all that you make over to the uk parliament to then be issued an allowance to spend, the other does not.  Brussels clearly has influence over the member states but it doesn't have anything even resembling absolute control.  Westminster does over the 4 countries of the union though.  Another very key difference is quite telling with regard to how each parliament views it's member states.  Westminster did not have to seek permission to have a legal referendum on membership to the EU but Holyrood has to have westminsters permission to hold a referendum on membership of the union.