Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Apathy

So, Monday morning and feeling a bit down about the whole AFC scenario currently, but to be honest it doesn't just stop there. Fifty plus years of playing and watching football every chance I could get and really starting to lose interest in the whole thing.

My apathy (for want of a better description) is caused by a number of factors most of which have been mentioned on here and in isolation are manageable, but lump them all together and the issue increases.

AFC are regressing, there is a general feeling that Scottish football is back the way it should be, dominated by two clubs built on years of hatred and religous bigotry. How long before the statement comes out of Pittodrie that finishing third would represent a successful season ?

The national team I lost interest in a number of years ago. To think I used to think that failing at a Euro Championship or World Cup was depressing. FFS oh to just get there nowadays.

Champions League football has become so so boring I rarely bother to watch a game in it. Same teams playing same teams year after year after year and getting richer and richer to the detriment of all others.

Back to domestic football and we have "Project Brave" raising it's head. What the fuck is brave about letting the two biggest supported clubs in the land enter teams "B Teams/Colt Teams"(or whatever the fuck you want to call them) into your league set up. Just another method to allow them to hoover up what little young talent is out there and further increase the gap between them and the rest.

Would normally be off to Fir Park on Friday night come hell or high water...right now couldn't give a fuck and highly unlikely to make the 45 minute journey to attend.

Sure I read somewhere that our next 3pm league kick off @ home is not until 1st April. Farcical if true and just sums up how fucked the game really is.

Merry Xmas everyone ;)

The fact that Milne is still at our club scares me as much as anything, a lot has changed at the club in recent years, but that cunt is still at the helm and I have never though he has been good for our club, even more so now his reformed idols are back in the league.

I never have and never will trust the guy.

So, Monday morning and feeling a bit down about the whole AFC scenario currently, but to be honest it doesn't just stop there. Fifty plus years of playing and watching football every chance I could get and really starting to lose interest in the whole thing.

My apathy (for want of a better description) is caused by a number of factors most of which have been mentioned on here and in isolation are manageable, but lump them all together and the issue increases.

AFC are regressing, there is a general feeling that Scottish football is back the way it should be, dominated by two clubs built on years of hatred and religous bigotry. How long before the statement comes out of Pittodrie that finishing third would represent a successful season ?

The national team I lost interest in a number of years ago. To think I used to think that failing at a Euro Championship or World Cup was depressing. FFS oh to just get there nowadays.

Champions League football has become so so boring I rarely bother to watch a game in it. Same teams playing same teams year after year after year and getting richer and richer to the detriment of all others.

Back to domestic football and we have "Project Brave" raising it's head. What the fuck is brave about letting the two biggest supported clubs in the land enter teams "B Teams/Colt Teams"(or whatever the fuck you want to call them) into your league set up. Just another method to allow them to hoover up what little young talent is out there and further increase the gap between them and the rest.

Would normally be off to Fir Park on Friday night come hell or high water...right now couldn't give a fuck and highly unlikely to make the 45 minute journey to attend.

Sure I read somewhere that our next 3pm league kick off @ home is not until 1st April. Farcical if true and just sums up how fucked the game really is.

Merry Xmas everyone ;)

Excellent post Al. You've hit the wall. You've found the same place as "the missing thousands", for the exact same reasons. The crime in all this is that the people in charge have been taking us, our loyalty and our money for granted. They thought the support of supporters was always going to be there however poorly we were "treated", whether with crap catering and facilities, taking the real estate and moving to cheap crap new soulless stadia, failing to invest in the grass roots, employing yes-men in key positions (administration and managers) and all the time the product gets worse and worse.

They relied on our blind loyalty. It was they who were blind.

Merry Xmas everyone ;)

Great post Al.

For me, it all stems back to 2012 when Rangers got binned. That should have been the catalyst for change, a chance to really change the game and move forward and be self sufficient. Of course, it never happened and foolishly i purchased a season ticket this season thinking that most clubs would be able to keep them at bay or that something might change for the good. Yet here we are, back to normal, the Glasgow two at the top and now the talk of colt teams for them only.... What a real kick in the steens for Scottish Football.

It is a complete ruin of its former self, on life support and the best idea mooted for the game is to introduce two more wanker Glasgow teams??.... honestly Fuck off. It has spent years in the shadows, run by utter imbeciles with its sole purpose to try and copy the model of English football, another footballing travesty. The SFA are like a virus... and like a virus they are multiplying with vile cunts like Malky McKay, spreading through the system and taking everything out in its path. The game is utterly fucked and its not even sad to watch anymore. It's a bit like an old dying relative, you almost want it put out of its misery so the pain will end.

The scary part of it all is that even if the fans stopped going to games, the SFA still wouldn't see the error of their ways. If anything it would almost speed up their quest to see colt teams in the leagues, in the hope it brings fans to the games. Utterly deluded and rotten to the core. The need for the preservation of two teams only is the detriment to the rest of us and its no wonder we really are a laughing stock. I sure wont be putting money into this league next season...

Weve got ourselves partly to blame for how things turned out though. What we did to get Rangers demoted was the right thing(not that we should have had to),but,for too many of us the thrill of getting Rangers sent down was all that mattered,rather than following through with the less exciting stuff,like changing the voting structure etc.I remember the mood at the time,not enough of us had the stomach to keep it going.

If were thinking of chucking it(and I could quite happily switch to other pursuits,golf/hills etc too),then should we not at least make the effort to change things before we do,esp those of us who have seen it all.The other teams should resign* from the league for a start if this really is about  colt teams for only the OF.Id want to hear a statement from AFC soon if true.

*In fact why not do it anyway

Merry Xmas everyone ;)

Spot on Big Al.

Like you say when you consider all these different factors that make up the game we invest so much interest, money, time, emotion etc into it just makes you wonder, why fucking bother put yourself through all that just for these cunts who run the game take the piss out of us by changing the rules to suit their preferred clubs even more. That obviously applies in both the domestic scene and the international one.

I saw a article last week suggesting that the Scottish league winners (celtic for the foreseeable) would now have to play 4 qualifiers to get into the CL while all 4 English teams woud get straight in, as would the other 'big leagues'. My head hurts when i try to think of the unfairness of it all and what the ongoing consequences of will be. It goes without saying it's all about making money and the already strong getting stronger and widening the gap all the time. They are trying to invent a different sport in my eyes... i hope the whole fucking thing implodes! Fuck it, i'm going to cancel my Sky Sports again when i get home!!!! But i'll miss my golf, F1 and tennis...  :gonk:

Spot on Big Al.

Like you say when you consider all these different factors that make up the game we invest so much interest, money, time, emotion etc into it just makes you wonder, why fucking bother put yourself through all that just for these cunts who run the game take the piss out of us by changing the rules to suit their preferred clubs even more. That obviously applies in both the domestic scene and the international one.

I saw a article last week suggesting that the Scottish league winners (celtic for the foreseeable) would now have to play 4 qualifiers to get into the CL while all 4 English teams woud get straight in, as would the other 'big leagues'. My head hurts when i try to think of the unfairness of it all and what the ongoing consequences of will be. It goes without saying it's all about making money and the already strong getting stronger and widening the gap all the time. They are trying to invent a different sport in my eyes... i hope the whole fucking thing implodes! Fuck it, i'm going to cancel my Sky Sports again when i get home!!!! But i'll miss my golf, F1 and tennis...  :gonk:

When I think about the Champions League, im  just glad we aren't ever part of it. It makes perfect business sense to have the "biggest clubs" in there to generate money, after all that's what business do. However, it shouldn't be a business, it should be a sport first and foremost and the integrity of the game should be at the forefront of any decision. Football stopped being about football over 25 years ago and the further up the chain you go, the more its about the financial aspect. As soon as that happened the game was on its death bed and its been dying ever since. Like all big financial bubbles, I hope it bursts and I hope every fucker that sat back and watched their clubs get bought over by multi billionaires, spending endless millions/billions, all suffer for it.

Even the every day football fan has changed. You look in the crowds of the EPL games and its full of folk who don't give a shit about the club, but rather the success. Even when goals are scored, they look completely uninterested. I saw a video on Facebook a few months ago where a goal was scored and the camera was zoomed into the crowd and there was a kid about 14ish just sitting on his phone, only glancing up as folk started cheering when the goal went in, then started to look at his phone again... no emotion at all. For me, real football and real fans now only exist in leagues below our own. I would class myself as a real fan, but the league in which Aberdeen play is shambolic and soulless. 

Even the every day football fan has changed. You look in the crowds of the EPL games and its full of folk who don't give a shit about the club, but rather the success. Even when goals are scored, they look completely uninterested. I saw a video on Facebook a few months ago where a goal was scored and the camera was zoomed into the crowd and there was a kid about 14ish just sitting on his phone, only glancing up as folk started cheering when the goal went in, then started to look at his phone again... no emotion at all. For me, real football and real fans now only exist in leagues below our own. I would class myself as a real fan, but the league in which Aberdeen play is shambolic and soulless.

Bar the last part I would agree with that. How is a fan defined nowadays?  I work with a few guys who go to Pittodrie for the big games, but won't be anywhere near it for a Killie or Motherwell on a cold Decembers night, rather stay at home and watch Arsenal v Everton or Champions League, I don't even get to speak about the match the day after as they are not interested in the slightest.

The strange times we live in, I guess folks who buy season tickets and travael to away games and so on are a dying breed.

I have access like many to a lot of football in various leagues but i have zero interest in it.

All i watch is Aberdeen games, Scotland internationals and the world cup.

Its the only games i can relate to or want to now.

I admit i used to watch some EPL games (mostly the highlights in the 80s and 90s because it was fucking exciting football and there were some great matches and goals.the Man Utd teams under Fergie were a joy to watch.as were some liverpool/ arsenal or tottenham games with the likes of shearer...bergkamp...etc.

My interest left when they left.im talking that long ago yes.

I wont even watch another SPL game.maybe highlights of the cheeks because theyre our main rivals again and hopefully see a few sendings off.

It's all becoming a bit bland though.

A Scotland game interests me more than anything and always will because I had some great times going to the games in the 80s.

AFC is my club team and the only club team  i'll ever support or want to be successful.

I still have great national pride though and want the international team to do well despite the tits running it or bad team picks. (We certainly have that at AFC).

Champions league does nothing for me and now i get the feeling every game is fixed or could be due to the ridiculous amount of money involved. That really fuels my disinterest tbh.

Times are changing fast and I honestly believe that football will die out in maybe 50 years.it has to end sometime right.

There will be new sports and interests.i think drones will play a major part.eventually we will have a team sport where you stand on a 'drone' and hot an object into a goal.

It will happen soon.

The mobile phone/ps4/xbox etc are the new generation fuelling all this because its more exciting than a football match to them.

Imagine in 50 years time seeing a football at a museum ha.

Gather all ur balls and football boots lads..theyll be worth a fortune!

:rofl:

I think theres still a similar pool of folk in the N/E that will go to games,as there was back in the Fergie days.Aside from the season after the ECWC win in 83/84 where our average home attendance was around 17500,our home crowds now,in a less successful era,arent that much different from back then.Our away support over the last 20 years is as big as its ever been IMO.

In the seventies and eighties,Outside of Dundee,or big cup games,some of our away supports were tiny.So,I would say theres still a good core of folks that will turn up for games if theres competition

EDIT -  in response to DeeDon

Bar the last part I would agree with that. How is a fan defined nowadays?  I work with a few guys who go to Pittodrie for the big games, but won't be anywhere near it for a Killie or Motherwell on a cold Decembers night, rather stay at home and watch Arsenal v Everton or Champions League, I don't even get to speak about the match the day after as they are not interested in the slightest.

The strange times we live in, I guess folks who buy season tickets and travael to away games and so on are a dying breed.

The definition is ambiguous, we are all different. That said, for me being a fan is about passion. That feeling when a goal goes in, especially in big games can never been filled by anything else in life. Winning trophies too is one of the single most greatest feelings of being a football fan. When i see teenagers sitting on phones and not flinching when goals go in, something is missing. My wifes grandad, who sadly no longer alive, would tear up every time his beloved Norwich scored and it was nice to see someone so passionate about their team. Maybe times have changed and maybe the breed of folk who are very passionate about football is dying out. If that is true, maybe football is losing its pizzazz to an extent.

Aye the passion is magic especially with foreign fans.

The drums the songs the dress the girls the tribalism the colours the anticipation the joy the tears.

Sorry to tell some home truths but that exists in the tartan army too...as well as other nations.

It exists in club football too and shud only be promoted.

Its something to be proud of and should never die.

Too many people want to mock that and get rid of it sadly.

I say fuck them.