Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Apathy

Is it just me?? I sense that there is a disticnt feeling of apathy eveloping the club again.

The team is flat, especially since the cup final.

The fans seem to be getting restless and the infighting a bitching is raising it's head again, attendances dropping

The club seems to be going backwards on things like communication, fan interaction etc.

Last season seemed to be the high for McInnes and he, imo, is on the slide.

Nope, as a big convert to the reign of Deek (I was very much against at the time), I'm now asking wtf is he trying to do? And consequently not exactly turning up regularly cos I'm frustrated.

*Jack shoehorned into the team regardless of form/formation

*Shinnie almost never played in his best position

*Consi instead at LB seemingly to allow Taylor to play

*A proven back 4 of Shinie-Considine-O'Connor-Logan that looks solid on the rare occasions it gets tried, gets changed as soon as unfit players come back

*one up front even at home against what should be cannon fodder

*The defensive arrangements especially against Celtic, and now seemingly Rangers, that just don't work, yet out they come again next time, again and again.

He's not taking us forwards, why he doesn't see the value of our attacking squad, and that it doesn't suit defensive football is beyond me, and seemingly many others.

Such a dismal showing in the cup final is bound to have that effect. It was heartless.

That game and the following week at the Bronx led many to question the manager, and maybe they hadn't done so previously. 

Those two matches were the crux of DM's deficiencies.  His blind spots were laid bare and he was punished for them.

However, I would actually say this malaise started last January.  We were in with a chance of the title but didn't strengthen where we had to - goalkeeper and midfield.  DM rightly thought Scott Brown was not good enough to start the season as no.1, but bizarrely thought he was good enough to finish it as no1.

We were in a position of strength and its vital to strengthen from there, but its led to this nothingness from the team because there are too many players far too comfortable. Too many aren't being pushed to prove they are worthy of that starting spot.

The exception to this it seems is: McInnes will drop Rooney if he's not scoring. Stockley goes into the exact same system and doesn't score. So he gets dropped for Rooney and round and round we go.  Here's a thought... maybe it's the system that's at fault, which leads into....

Fans are restless because we're not making the most of our resources and frankly, we're pish to watch far too often.  Two holding CMs at home to the likes of Partick and Ross County, little to no pace in the side either in terms of movement or how quickly we shift the ball, only attacking full back on one flank because our other full back is in centre midfield for some fucking reason and there is no drive in the middle of the park.  There is no one to get us up out our seat if Jonny Hayes and Niall McGinn are off form, which they have been for large chunks of the season.

The set up is very reliant on those two playing well. If they don't, we won't create and we will be horrendous to watch.

If only the manager had signed some alternative options to those two in the summer... oh, wait...

I think the main issue is coming from the attitude our team has shown towards Celtic and the rangers. THe way the team was set out for all gmes against them this season almost admits defeat before kick off and with that the attitude of the fans has changed as well.

Before when we played Celtic, last season at Pittodrie stands out, we went at them, attacked and were set up to attack. This season we havent turned up ahgainst them and we gave the rangers far too much respect and stood off them both home and away - not good enough in my opinion.

If we'd turned up for the final and we'd attacked the rangers at home and dowen there we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Thats down to McInnes and his tactics.

That attitude is also then seen throughout the team. When our players thought we were out to properly challenge they looked a lot better that they do this season aiming for 3rd.

However, I would actually say this malaise started last January...

I totally agree that the signs were on the wall a long time before these last 3 weeks. In fact, I would go back further by a couple of months or so. From an incredible winning start to the 2015/16 season, we went to Easter Road, capitulated badly there and then got only 1 point in the next 6 or 7 matches. It was clear that something had changed and whilst we could discount the wild allegations being bandied about, there was no doubt that the appetite of the player's had changed and all of a sudden they weren't playing as a cohesive unit.

Then the final v. Celtic last month was as abject a performance as it was surprising, followed up by more total shite at Ibrox. In my opinion, it was the insane team selections that was the root cause. Any player with half a brain must be thinking - WTF are you doing, manager?

McInnes's hold on the dressing room is fragile. His list of failings is long. He's just not very good at his job.

He may or may not have lost this dressing room but he's definitely fucked our whole season.

I said about 2/3 years ago that we have to go into debt.

We need to remind ourselves what an incredible act that was in paying off the £10 mill in debts towards AFC .

However, if we don't take a chance and push the boat out a bit we will NEVER move forward IMO .

Not buying a couple of quality players and winning the league last time out was incredibly naive and f*cking abysmal management when it was there to be won.

That to me was a gamble well worth taking and could well be the last chance for many years to come in winning the SPL.

Win the league and generate interest and finance OR get a new stadium.

I know what surely every dons fan would've wanted.

F*cking awful Milne...just awful management.

As long as we are happy buying SPL players or loans from the SPL and lower English leagues, mediocrity shall be the norm I'm afraid.

As damning as that may seem it's inevitable.

TBH, The apathy has set in with me too.

I usually try and get to a couple of games with the kids over the festive period.

This year, I just can't be arsed if i am honest. 3.5 drive up, sit and freeze my arse aff then drive 3.5 hrs back after watching what in all likleyhood, given recent performances, will be uninspiring pish.

The boat has sailed on McInnes, unless he gets back to playing attacking, exciting football. We have the players, so why not play to our strengths? Attack, Attack, Attack Attack Attack.

And i agree. Logan - O'Connor - Conso - Shinnie across the back.

Play them for a few weeks together and see how it goes.

Is it just me?? I sense that there is a disticnt feeling of apathy eveloping the club again.

The team is flat, especially since the cup final.

The fans seem to be getting restless and the infighting a bitching is raising it's head again, attendances dropping

The club seems to be going backwards on things like communication, fan interaction etc.

Last season seemed to be the high for McInnes and he, imo, is on the slide.

Yeh I think there is apathy, and it's more than just about results. On the pitch we're still better than Hearts yet there's Jambos commenting ther club have never been in a better place.

- missed opportunity. Many feel maybe we should have been more ambitious when Celtic were at their weakest, and that the club were too content with second. With Rangers up there seems an inevitability that the status quo will soon be returned and we're not doing much to stop it.

- McInnes. People talk of players regressing. He seems to have regressed as a manager.

- Celtic. There is no title race. We only sold 17,000 against them in October. Last season that would have been a full house.

- Stadium. Club should be getting everyone excited about it. They've been lukewarm about it, releasing one cheap looking interior shot. Rapid Vienna had a fly through video, showing everything from outside, to pitch level, to the standing and away sections, to inside the corporate. Give us something that makes us say "wow". At the moment, I don't feel we as a club have anything to look forward to.

- Engagement with club. There is a disconnect there. The stuff about the displays and the singing section being closed off with fans searched, it creates a sense the club is run by stuffy suits. They would rather release pointless surveys than sit down and speak to fans.

- Hearts. Why are they so happy but we're not? Stadium being one year away from being completed helps, as do the sell outs. Having the foundation of Hearts, meaning at some point they will be a fan owned club, must be good to have. At the moment the fans feel part of the club through FOH. We've got Dons Supporters Together - they've not managed to garner enough support and the feeling is they're not making much difference either.

Theres apathy,but its exaggerated by the sulking from the dour element of the NE support.Our league winning side of 1980,had 5000 at our next home game after the LC final replay v UTD.That was a team on the up.OTT reaction

But it doesnt excuse Mcinnes though.You have to develop as a manager.He seems to be relying on the same formula(caution) through his career.Its brought a degree of success,but its a comfort zone,which doesnt make you receptive to finer points that might bring bigger rewards.

I would like to see what he does in the window,and I think he's earned til the end of the season whatever happens.I actually think he could remain cautious defensively,and at the same time, develop/speed up the way we attack for better results

I don't think it's apathy yet, people care. I think Garlogie puts it perfectly. It's a lack of understanding with DM. People are confused. The board or Milne are not doing anything at present to upset/cause increased concern (I think) but it's purely on field performance. The endless chopping and changing suggests a desperate man. The fact that we change by game (e.g. the constant switching of Rooney and Stockley, the position of Shinnie, the changing of the back 4) has left everyone baffled. I'm speculating but based on the changes, DM isn't happy with the holding center mid, isn't happy with the forward position, and isn't happy with central defense. Add this to the fact Maddison leaves, that's 4 areas he's got to fix in the January window. In addition, the out of contract players add more uncertainty and DM stating we may not keep them all suggests movement out of the club soon.

I think apathy will kick in if these areas aren't addressed in January. Failure to do so (like we failed last January) shows a lack of effort/care which will definitely impact fan attitude. At this point Milne and co do come into play because the club backs the manager or not in these windows. Obviously we don't expect reckless spending but we've got clear areas that need addressed immediately.

Can I be completely honest?

Abmad gave me a ton of apathy tbh.

I still love my International football despite the f*ck ups and the morons running it.

I still believe in the spirit of the tartan army and what it represents- fans loving their team and football and Scotland.

Not a big fan of timberlands myself but if they wanna wear them with a kilt...is that so offensive to dons fans?

The Hunnish attitude and contempt for all things related to our national team made me disassociate myself from a lot of dons fans.I can't believe some of the anti-Scottish stuff I was reading.

This combined with what's going on with AFC, DM's decisions making and our sometimes general lack of attitude from players and ambition from our own club...has made me feel very apathetic.

We need 2 football revolutions if u like.

Clear out the Scotland international set up and the Aberdeen one.

P.s. I live abroad but it would be nice if I could connect with an Aberdeen fan who thought along the same lines as me.

One who loves his country, his International team and his football club.

:(

I don't feel any connection with any fan unfortunately.

And btw, this forum is far far friendlier than Abmad  8)

I don't think it's apathy yet, people care...

You're right. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be talking about it and we wouldn't be going to games.

The saddest aspect for me is unfulfilled potential. 43,000 of us turned up at the red Parkhead. There is a latent support base but for the whole time Milne has been in charge, despite never owning more than 28% of the shares, he's slowly killing the club. His agenda isn't pure. He's not after the same things that we are. The missing thousands are staying away because there's been nothing positive to win them back.

Yes we know there are thrawn and dour folk in the NE but there are shit people everywhere. I don't get those who hate on the Aberdeen personality. We have way more positives than negatives overall, parochialism being the worst trait and even then, the origin of this is well known and understandable.

#Nips & Tatties

Your love of Scotland is paradoxical and a diametric opposite of my situation. I can live anywhere in the world, have lived abroad for 15 years but I choose to live here in the NE. And I don't give a fuck about the national team.

Only tabloid readers and the like feel great patriotism to the extent that they wear it as a badge of honour. Jingoism and nationalism are diseases reserved for the non-thinking classes in my experience.

Well, i've continued to follow the Reds through much worse phases than this and i'll continue to follow them and turn up when at home.

There is growing unrest which is aimed at DM obviously. It's undoubted that he's got a good squad of players there at his disposal but he's not using them to their full effect. You'd imagine that his backroom staff have some sort of input but the same 'mistakes' as we see it are happening every bloody week just now.

I know i'm repeating myself but i still can't get my head round it.... we win away to the two Thistles with a line up the fans were crying out for for ages, it worked well, then inexplicably he goes and changes it for our biggest game of the season and again for a very important fixture with the predictable outcome! WHY DEREK, WHY?! Then, we give Killie a doing a couple of weeks ago with a line up similar to the Thistle games and then he goes and changes it again and we turn in a dreadful performance! There is a lack of trust in the dressing room imo and it's affecting results / performances which in turn is turning off the fans... and lights (that was a wee joke there)

I still love my International football despite the f*ck ups and the morons running it.

I still believe in the spirit of the tartan army and what it represents- fans loving their team and football and Scotland.

Not a big fan of timberlands myself but if they wanna wear them with a kilt...is that so offensive to dons fans?

The Hunnish attitude and contempt for all things related to our national team made me disassociate myself from a lot of dons fans.I can't believe some of the anti-Scottish stuff I was reading.

This combined with what's going on with AFC, DM's decisions making and our sometimes general lack of attitude from players and ambition from our own club...has made me feel very apathetic.

P.s. I live abroad but it would be nice if I could connect with an Aberdeen fan who thought along the same lines as me.

N&T, was your handle Fat Shaft on AbMad? If so i remember once you and i stood up for the right to support our national team against the majority there.

I agree with you about the contempt shown by a lot of board members there towards the national team. Couldn't understand how, if you were a football lover you couldn't even be interested in how your national team is getting on. I can understand a lot of the disdain shown towards the SFA and the beaks there but at the end of the day that doesn't make you lose interest in the teams results does it?!

I had 14 years of AbMad and i, like so many others stopped posting there due to the attitudes shown by many there.

N&T, was your handle Fat Shaft on AbMad? If so i remember once you and i stood up for the right to support our national team against the majority there.

I agree with you about the contempt shown by a lot of board members there towards the national team. Couldn't understand how, if you were a football lover you couldn't even be interested in how your national team is getting on. I can understand a lot of the disdain shown towards the SFA and the beaks there but at the end of the day that doesn't make you lose interest in the teams results does it?!

I had 14 years of AbMad and i, like so many others stopped posting there due to the attitudes shown by many there.

Nope wasn't me ha. I do have a fat shaft though.... :rofl:

Well said 1903^^^

I only remember myself ever supporting Scotland in the last few months of being on Abmad.

The attitudes towards Scotland were pathetic.

Be pissed off with the set up, the choosing of players and the results but to detest the supporters who love dressing up and supporting the national team is Pathetic to me and there's plenty in the Aberdeen support who do.

These supporters are generally extremely well behaved and come from many teams not just the cheeks.

They carry a tradition that others supporters of the world are admired for so why not ours by ourselves.

If you enjoy football surely you love the Danish turning up in Vikings, the Brazilians with the drums and samba and girls, the colour of different supporters, the atmosphere they create through customs etc.

We are included in this and people who don't respect it are miserable chunts.

for me, this is the very soul of football.

Guys, you're right. When I say I don't give a fuck about the national team, well I kinda do. I haven't been back to a game since the Dam ArenA 6-0 and I loved France 98, where fortunately I was only at the first two games and I never fail to watch them on the telly.

But they are so bad, under so many totally inept managers, it's not even shame or embarrassment anymore. And I don't see the rocket scientist Malky Mackay making any damn difference whatsoever. But do I care if they get beat? No. It's because I expect them to.

The reason for the decline of the national team and the game in Scotland is obvious but nae cunt gives a fuck enough to fix it, or attempt to fix it I should have said because it's now a job that may well be impossible.

Several national team managers haven't given a fuck about Aberdeen and the players deserving of international recognition, so why should Aberdeen fans give a fuck about the national team?

Maybe that's a question for another thread however.

Several national team managers haven't given a fuck about Aberdeen and the players deserving of international recognition, so why should Aberdeen fans give a fuck about the national team?

Maybe that's a question for another thread however.

That's a bit too sellic paranovia for me.

I can't recall one Aberdeen player being good enough but being discriminated against.

I'm sure you could point out that he was better than him etc. and you will no doubt be right but in terms of international class, we are just comparing one shit footballer with another. The bigger problem isn't discrimination. There's no "AFC player prejudice" going on.

That's a bit too sellic paranovia for me.

I can't recall one Aberdeen player being good enough but being discriminated against.

I'm sure you could point out that he was better than him etc. and you will no doubt be right but in terms of international class, we are just comparing one shit footballer with another. The bigger problem isn't discrimination. There's no "AFC player prejudice" going on.

Not necessarily talking about now, but in years past - McMaster, McDougall, Black, Grant, Robertson etc. I don't think it's necessarily a conscious thing, but that doesn't change the fact that we've had a fair few players who deserved more international recognition.  I'm sure plenty of other teams fans will feel the same about some of their players over the years as well.

I struggle with the concept of patriotism/nationalism anyway, seeing some more of our lads in there may have increased my interest somewhat.

I'm sure there may have been valid arguments for those AFC players not getting more caps, mainly that their opposition for places were playing at bigger and better clubs in England back then. And yes, most clubs' fans will feel the same.

Interestingly, the same driver behind nationalism is what compels people to support a football team, the sense of belonging, ancient tribalism instincts.