Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪️🔴

Out of contract

Forgive me if there is already a thread for this, couldnt see one...

We have 5 first team players going out of contract at the end of this season. Jack, McGinn, Taylor, Considine and Pawlett.

Who do you keep, who do you bin and who do you take in to replace if we do let them go.

I'd keep Jack and Considine, possibly McGinn depending on whether or not he can shake off this lethargy he's surrounded by at the moment. Taylor and Pawlett can go, Taylor scares me, Pawlett just hasnt cut it.

I'd bin Taylor and possibly even Considine, that's no reflection on Andys performances, but it should at least allow Shinnie to play left back.

If Pawlett is happy enough to be a fringe player then I'd keep him, but for sure I'd have McGinn signed up in a heartbeat. I'm quite surprised he isn't already signed up, which may be an indication that he feels it's time to move on.

Jack, I guess he's probably off, regardless of whether or not we want to keep him.

Would like to see us keeping McGinn, Jack and Considine but would expect Jack to move on. Not sure it would be best for Pawlett's own development to stay as can only see him being a bit part player now. Taylor should be told he is free to find another club in January. Never rated him and feel he unsettles the other defenders around him as they are having to constantly watch him for his inevitable fuck up as well as look to see what the opposition are doing.   

I'm a bit of a soppy hoor and tend to feel for the players so wouldn't be upset if they all resigned.

However if i was a cold heartless bastard i'd say

Jack - oot

McGinn - oot

Taylor - 1 year

Pawlett - 1 year, but this would be his last if he's not made himself a first steam starter on a regular basis.

Considong - 2 years

Keep - McGinn and Considine

Maybe - Pawlett and Jack

Out - Taylor

Jack will be a maybe as I don't see a better alternative (for him) coming in for him.

Pawlett - can be a good player for us and give us an alternative option to the pedestrian midfield we can be at times, but if another, better alternative came up in the market, I'd move him on.

McGinn - been badly managed this season. Should have been ordered to go on holiday for a few weeks after the Euros. This is now coming back to bite us on the arse.

Consi - he's a decent SPFL standard defender.  Would be very harsh on him if we were to cut him loose now.

Taylor - carthorse.

Surprised Jack and McGinn have 6 months left, our business model in the last few seasons has been to tie down our best and most valuable players on long term contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if both have already been offered extended terms but are either stalling or have said no.

I'd keep Considine. He's a known quantity, is usually dependable, can play in a couple of positions and probably isn't paid top dollar. Presumably if we let him go, we'd replace him with a gamble on an English League 1/2 player or get in an untested English PL/Championship player on loan who'll either be good and leave us with a gaping whole when they leave after 6/12 months, or shite but we need to keep playing him because we promised his parent club that we would. In both cases, we'd be better off keeping him.

I like Pawlett, but I don't see him ever taking that next step to become a fixture in our starting 11, and for his own sake, he'd be better off going somewhere that gives him that opportunity.

Pawlett - definitely go, he's having the exact same career as Darren Mackie. Fringe player who hangs around and plays here and there. We need better and more consistent.

Taylor - definitely go, we're clearly nervous at the back when he plays.

Jack - either/or, squad player at best if you asked me, hasn't kicked on in his career. No loss.

Considine - the 2nd best of a bad bunch of central defenders. Only O'Connor is worth keeping but Considine is a solid squad player who can cover two positions.

McGinn - definitely keep, super player, but I think he may move on needing a new challenge. He's gassed from the summer and will have a duff season.

Here's my tuppence worth:

Consi - Keep, he's a good utility defender, needs to play CH but is good coverage if we need it.

Taylor - Bin.  Back 4 look nervous when he plays.  Hopefully McKenna can replace after his loan.

Jack - Probably needs to go.  Seems like he stalled on signing the last contract and not sure he can lift his game.

Pawlett - Go.  Has great pace, but again, hasn't taken advantage when he does get a start.

McGinn - Keep.  Probably the most skillful player on the team.  I know he can be frustrating but he should have been rested after the Euros.  I think it came back to bite us in the cup final and against Sevco.  I think he's a great player.

Keep....... Considine, McGinn.....both 2 years

Bin.......Taylor, Jack. 

Unsure......Pawlett. Agree hes done nothing to warrant an extension, but hasnt had a decent run of games. If nothing changes before season end I'd say bye bye. However I strongly suspect he would end up at one of the Edinburgh clubs and return to haunt us continually if we do let him go

Pawlett - definitely go, he's having the exact same career as Darren Mackie. Fringe player who hangs around and plays here and there. We need better and more consistent.

Taylor - definitely go, we're clearly nervous at the back when he plays.

Jack - either/or, squad player at best if you asked me, hasn't kicked on in his career. No loss.

Considine - the 2nd best of a bad bunch of central defenders. Only O'Connor is worth keeping but Considine is a solid squad player who can cover two positions.

McGinn - definitely keep, super player, but I think he may move on needing a new challenge. He's gassed from the summer and will have a duff season.

I can't disagree with any of the above.  My only concern about Jack is the ability to replace him with someone of equal or greater standing.  I'm not convinced we would.  But I agree, he hasn't really kicked on.

Can we get rid of taylor but keep india?  ;D

I'd only keep Considine as he covers two positions at the back and probably not on that big a deal.

The rest can all go, Jack and Pawlett for their own good, McGinn has done well for us, but us and him would benefit from a parting of the ways.  Taylor has been a good signing for us, but feel he has reached the end of the line with us.

Keep Considine,.Keep Pawlett if he's cheap.Saw glimpses of what he can do yesterday with players on the same wavelength,eg Maddison

Jury out on Taylor,McGinn.

Feel a bit sorry for Jack.Got the captaincy that I dont think he wants.If we get the experienced midfielder were looking for in January, that also compliments Jack,then keep

Keep Considine,.Keep Pawlett if he's cheap.Saw glimpses of what he can do yesterday with players on the same wavelength,eg Maddison

Jury out on Taylor,McGinn.

Feel a bit sorry for Jack.Got the captaincy that I dont think he wants.If we get the experienced midfielder were looking for in January, that also compliments Jack,then keep

I think he wanted it, I just think he over-estimated himself in terms of what he can bring to that role.

Considine - Keep. Gets stuck in and puts a good shift in.

Pawlett - Let him leave. Had a couple of flutters against Killie but against St Johnstone he was awful. Time has come and gone IMO.

Jack- Let him leave. We will probably keep him but being honest I wouldn't mind if he left.

Taylor - Would give him an extra year but he would have to accept he would be backup.

McGinn - If he turns up and plays like he can then he is superb. Recently however he is having more off days than on days. Could be time for him to move on.

I'd keep McGinn. Very capable player in a squad that is all too often not capable. He is suffering the effects of not getting a break in the summer. I'd send him on holiday in the new year and hopefully he improves a bit in the second half of the season.

I'd keep Considine and I'd probably keep Pawlett too. I'd listen to offers (lol) for Jack and I'd drive Taylor to the city limit myself.

Although.. if the club was willing to invest (lol) in replacements that might improve the team much of the above could change.

I noticed the red top toilet rolls yesterday were jumping on the 'players out of contract'  story.

According to them we've got a struggle on our hands to hold on to them all.

They probably only got that info through reading our boards. Fooking idiots.

I think we'll see a big turnaround in first team regular players at the end of this season, bigger than we've had in a while.

Taylor, Jack and probably McGinn will leave either through choice or through a piss poor contract being offered, they'll end up in ED1.

Pawlett will be let go and Considine will stay.

Looking at the list of those in the SPL that are also out of contract I see no one that stands out as a player I'd want. Looks like we'll be scouring the lower leagues on Englandshire for more O'Connor types (hopefully!)

With the exception of Considong i don't think losing them all would be a big blow as in the cold light of day i'd say Jack, McGinn, Taylor and Pawlett are all more likely to have an off day than a good one. I'd maybe cut Taylor a bit of slack there but the other three are anonymous most of the time.

Plus, there's a real staleness about the first team squad, time for these guys to move on and for some new meat to come in that we can get stuck into.