Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

FAVOURITE Don of all time

Pretty much this.

Started going around 68/69ish,  1st hero would be Buchan,Bumper, then Varga & king Joey, late 70s prob. Steve Archibald.From 80s onwards, Snelders,Richardson,Rougvie & Weir.

Of all time between Harper/Kennedy.

Hope this clears it up  :o

Forgot Mason,Jess,Jocky Scott (for that hat trick) ;D

Clark, Jarvie & Hans.

1. Willie Miller

2. Brian Grant

3. Charlie Nicholas

4. Jim Leighton

5. Stewart McKimmie

6. Paul Mason

7. Theo Snelders

8. Duncan Shearer

9. Peter Weir

10. John Hewitt

11. Russell Anderson

Would have left it at 10, but I've got a lot of admiration for Russell and echo OxfordDon's comments on the man. 

Yeah it is quite sad looking through these lists and seeing the difference in the quality of players. I'm one of the younger ones so wasn't about for the 80's success and only really started watching mid 90's onwards.

My three favourites:

1. Jess

2. Anderson

3. Jamie Smith - controversial choice perhaps but when he was fit he was brilliant and he's from my hometown. Presented me with a player of the year trophy when I was at Boys' Club as well.

Best player or favourite?

A lot of players I loved went on to do stuff that undermined my liking for them.  McLeish (Hunnery).  Strachan and McGhee (arrogant, paranoid, hostile to the club and its fans). Black (bribery scandal).  Harper and McKimmie (ambivalent about the club and its fans, weird, bitter).  Miller (fans' spokesman against a complacent board until co-opted at a fat salary, at which point he turned 180 degrees;  bankruptcies; ageing lothario round town).

Miller IMO is our greatest ever player although Harper also in with a decent shout.  But as a favourite I'll go for Peter Weir - great player who always supported the club and as far as I know has never done anything to tarnish the memories.