Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

FAVOURITE Don of all time

Nice one MBT, going for the following

Miller W

Weir P

Harper J

Given my avatar thst might come as a bit of surprise, but Varga was and still is the most skillful player I have ever seen in an Aberdeen jersey, but give the fact he was only half a season with us doesn't qualify him as my favourite of all time

1. Gordon Strachan - was my childhood hero which makes the Scotland thing and his actions all the more painful.

2. Lee Richardson - skilled and powerful, what our midfield sadly lacks today. We didn't have him for long but the type of player a midfield really needs.

3. Peter Weir - always thought he was better than Davie Cooper and felt it was Rangers bias that meant Cooper played for Scotland and not Weir.

3. Doug Bell - an 80s Frank Lampard.

3. Frank McDougall

I know it's cheating with 5 but I could add at least 5 more!!

Favourites needs to be clarified.

Miller the best and most valuable footballer.

Those I liked the most include him of course and these, in no particular order: -

Eric Black

Joe Harper

Davie Robb

Drew Jarvie

John Hewitt

Davie Robertson

Eoin Jess

Martin Buchan

Steve Archibald

Paul Mason

Neil Simpson

Peter Weir

John McMaster

Bobby Clark

1. Eoin Jess

2. Russell Anderson

3. Theo Snelders (even though he was a miserable cunt)

I too could name more. Such as Markus Heikkinen, Alex McLeish and Duncan Shearer to name a few. Unfortunately I'm just slightly too young to remember the 80s glory days.

Yes but remember this truth too.

It's not nostalgia making us pick footballers before this century.

It's simply that as Scottish football has regressed, so have AFC.

Alarmingly. On both counts.

Of course thats true.

If it wasnt then I would have been able to pick someone from the last 15-20 years.

In some ways you have to feel sorry for the younger guys when all they have to pick from is the likes of Stavrum as their best player when all I remember him for was being offside.

In some ways you have to feel sorry for the younger guys when all they have to pick from is the likes of Stavrum as their best player when all I remember him for was being offside.

I feel sorry for the younger fans including my son who has never seen a good AFC side. Their highlights are games like Copenhagen. Even the only final he saw us win* was a very shit performance, although the peculiarity of Parkhead being totally red that day was something that knocked me out let alone him.

The degeneration of Scottish football has many reasons of course but the most influential in my opinion was a lack of vision. I don't blame the club chairmen - who are all only in it for money, being business people primarily - as much as I do the authorities. The signs have been staring them in the face but the SFA and the SPL chose to ignore them. The gradual nature of decline makes it deeper but made it less obvious to the thick self-interested cunts in charge.

Edit: Forgot, he was at Hampden 95 when Glass won a bike for MOTM. Just too young then to remember much.

Varga was well before my time, but i would have loved to have seen him play.

1. God

2. Jess

3.  Hmm... tough one, but rather than delve back into the selection box of the 80s (i'm in your 2nd age bracket cupidstunt  ;) ), i'd go with Russell Anderson.  He had to endure some of the most torrid chapters in the clubs recent history, but stands with God as a player who embodied the club and its ethos, he gave his all for the Dons and playing for us was clearly his childhood dream.  I was delighted for him when he finally got to hold a cup aloft as captain after so long trying, total Hollywood ending to his career.

Varga was well before my time, but i would have loved to have seen him play.

1. God

2. Jess

3.  Hmm... tough one, but rather than delve back into the selection box of the 80s (i'm in your 2nd age bracket cupidstunt  ;) ), i'd go with Russell Anderson.  He had to endure some of the most torrid chapters in the clubs recent history, but stands with God as a player who embodied the club and its ethos, he gave his all for the Dons and playing for us was clearly his childhood dream.  I was delighted for him when he finally got to hold a cup aloft as captain after so long trying, total Hollywood ending to his career.

A great post about Russell, OD

It was difficult making the choices, but god should be top of everyone's list, IMO, as we will never see anything like him again. A total one off, who took his responsibility greatly and represented the fans on the pitch.

Jess, I don't think I will ever see a player who excited the fans so much and came through the ranks, he really was top class.

Below this was difficult and so many to choose from and a shame to leave so many off the list.

As someone already posted, folks like my eldest had to endure Pittodrie during the very, very bad years and didn't really have any players to look up too, I always found that a shame.

I find this stuff quite interesting. As a 43 yr old I grew up with the dons being the best team in Scotland, winning trophies yearly, and it wasn't until my late teens/20s that we entered the shit years. Now we're credible again but I still yearn for the team we were in my childhood so will no doubt always be bitter and depressed. Curious as to the expectations of those in their late 20s/early 30s who grew up watching a shit Aberdeen who listed players from that era as favorites and for whom the last 3 years is the best they've ever witnessed live.

I've also seen a weak and broke Celtic narrowly escape bankruptcy to become powerful and wealthy and seen the demise and rebirth of Rangers. Can't help but feel we're being led by an uninspiring Milne and what I wouldn't give for a Fergus McCann type. Money talks and if Celtic can go from broke to where they are now, can we with a more limited fan base?

Off topic I know, apologies...