Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

On the BBC.....

Look at this pic, and compare the quality with what we have now. Very very sad.

_44420312_dressing_room_416.jpg

It's depressing, isn't it.

We had some team back then. Remarkable, really.

But to be honest, we should just be glad that we actually have had a team like that... Something which many teams these days can never lay claim to.

Jesus, you wouldn't fuck with those boys eh?  Rougvie and Leighton are toothless, their performances however, were not.  We had it all back then, hard men, hard runners, bags of skill, lethal finishers, and an unbelievable will to win.

Happy days.

How did teams get through a whole season using so few players back then?  I know Kennedy got injured that season, but most those boys were almost ever-present.  Are players just a bunch of fanny's these days?

I think there's a bit of that but there is also more physio/medical attention which seems to have contributed to longer careers. These dudes played thru pain a lot of the time but todays advice is absolutely not to do that.

Well these pictures have warmed me up nicely for tomorrow, I've got that pre-match tingling feeling now.  Bring it on.

The outrageous optimism starts here.  I fancy a battling nil nil draw.  :thumbsup:

It's pish isn't it, outrageous optimism extends as far as a scud all draw. True though it is and probably was even before our recent doings, it's pish.

It's pish isn't it, outrageous optimism extends as far as a scud all draw. True though it is and probably was even before our recent doings, it's pish.

When we played Bayern in '83 I would suspect that most Dons fans were saying exactly the same thing, not much has really changed. I also don't think that there was a huge gulf in skill level between that side and our current one. There was however a chasm in terms of grit, determination, belief and a will to win at all costs. That is the glaring miss from the glory days of 1983.

When we played Bayern in '83 I would suspect that most Dons fans were saying exactly the same thing, not much has really changed. I also don't think that there was a huge gulf in skill level between that side and our current one. There was however a chasm in terms of grit, determination, belief and a will to win at all costs. That is the glaring miss from the glory days of 1983.

Can't agree at all with that Ajja. Our centre half and captain probably had more skill in him than our "creative" players now. And that's not to mention the difference in skill between Weir, Strachan, McGhee, Black and Hewitt and our wide players and forwards now. I think it's fair to say that perhaps at that time our team was not necessarily renowned for it's skill outwith Strachan, Weir and Bell, and that it was perhaps more recognised for it's grit, determination etc as you say, but to be honest, their skill levels were still vastly superior to the guys nowadays.