Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tims - Dons - 12:30 - Sun

This one feels a lot like what could have been, but we are where we are. Both our main strikers out for it so it will be interesting to see how we line up. Really hope we manage to get a result for three reasons:

A) Try to achieve a further improved points tally

B) Give the team much needed confidence that they can win there against them

C) Delay their title party for another week

I can't really see Brown coming back into the side, probably seen the last of him so expect Collin to retain his place.

In / out: Out

Pre-matcher: Flat

Match: Flat

Post-matcher: Park enjoying the sunshine and hopefully a win  8)

Prediction: 2-1 tims, Hayes

With both Rooney and Church out McGinn is the logical choice to play up front but not sure McInnes rates him there so not sure we will line up. Hopefully we can delay title party but have a feeling they will be out to put us firmly in our place.

Oot

Flat

Flat

Flat

3-1 Dims. McLean with consolation for Dons.

With both Rooney and Church out McGinn is the logical choice to play up front but not sure McInnes rates him there so not sure we will line up. Hopefully we can delay title party but have a feeling they will be out to put us firmly in our place.

Oot

Flat

Flat

Flat

3-1 Dims. McLean with consolation for Dons.

Church starts up front.

Collin, shinnie, Considine, Taylor  :hammer:, Logan, jack, flood, McLean, Hayes, McGinn & church.

As seems to be standard with the way we start at the tim dome, we had the opportunity to take the lead, don't take it, stand off a tim and he scores. Really shouldn't have been allowed to carry the ball as far as he did let alone shoot.

Ah well, made a game of it in the end. Was very much an end of season game with little pressure on them and slackness for all the goals really. Shinnie didn't have a great game for us today. Not entirely his fault for the first - Flood just needed to take a step to his left to prevent the path for the shot - but he was rash for the second, leaving Roberts totally unmarked, and I thought we actually (strangely) looked better when Considine moved across. The good McGinn turned up today, worked hard, took his goal well and a lovely free kick (he had some very good deliveries today) for Considine's header. Anyway, we weren't embarrassed in the end, and hopefully we'll go on to win our last two and beat last season's total.

A frustrating game. I stopped watching after we scored the first, didn't really think we'd take anything from the game. Created a decent chance in the opening minutes which McGinn probably should have scored, then went missing for 50 mins. We actually played better football after our striker went off. The game could have meant something but our October wobble along with the Christmas one can be seen as the real game changers.  We've got a good team. Just need the right additions this summer

Niall McGinn eh? Anyone who thinks we are a better side without that guy knows utterly fuck all about the game.

Only non-forward to hit double figures in goals in the league and has the highest assists in the league as well. But aye, lets get rid of him... clowns.

Niall McGinn eh? Anyone who thinks we are a better side without that guy knows utterly fuck all about the game.

Only non-forward to hit double figures in goals in the league and has the highest assists in the league as well. But aye, lets get rid of him... clowns.

Couldn't agree more.

Defies logic. Frustrating due to his off days but if he didn't have them, we wouldn't have him. Also got into more dangerous positions than church did.

Defies logic. Frustrating due to his off days but if he didn't have them, we wouldn't have him. Also got into more dangerous positions than church did.

I thought Church was pish yesterday and hope we don't see him again. He's done a job and wouldn't begrudge him a small cameo to give the fans the opportunity to thank him, but we need to give others some game time for the remaining meaningless fixtures. I wouldn't like to see him here next season though, I think that would be accepting defeat somewhat.

As for McGinn, I still think he doesn't get enough credit for the amount of work he does tracking back, he does work hard in games even if he is anonymous in some. I'm pretty certain that's why McInnes keeps him in the team - I think if we were party to the stats (distance covered etc) that Deek is then we'd probably see that his effort is vastly understated by the fans. The inconsistency is really only in his ability to win games for us every week. There is an expectation that he should, but I think it's unrealistic. It's harder in Scotland too, as we face the same teams 4 times a season meaning that players know who they're up against and how to play against them. From McGinn's (or any player's) perspective there will be players he doesn't like playing against too, although I doubt that would be admitted. It is down to McInnes to recognise during games where McGinn isn't adding anything to our attacking threat, or games where his attributes aren't suited to the style of game, and sacrifice him for someone more applicable. I think it's fairly obvious by 50-60 minute mark if McGinn is likely to produce and it's no slight on him to try something or someone different. Similarly in the winter months when Hayes and McGinn's games are largely nullified by the standard of pitches we should be looking to either play them closer to a larger striker or replace one of them with a more physical player. Like it or not, our game isn't suited to winter in Scotland and its something McInnes needs to address in the summer. We need a good version of Calvin Zola that will allow us to be more direct in games. I think a lot of McGinn's failings are through our squad's lack of alternatives, and also a lack of appreciation of his all round effort for which he isn't credited.

Anybody quoting stats like assists in debates of a players strengths and weaknesses, considering a long free kick into the box which Considine got his big (physical rather than mental) head on the end of as a meaningful stat over and above watching and understanding games knows fuck all about football. Assists are like clean sheets, almost meaningless metrics.

Agreed. I'm still a big fan.

Anybody quoting stats like assists in debates of a players strengths and weaknesses, considering a long free kick into the box which Considine got his big (physical rather than mental) head on the end of as a meaningful stat over and above watching and understanding games knows fuck all about football. Assists are like clean sheets, almost meaningless metrics.

In game stats - possession etc, I totally agree, as you know. But when we're talking about stats fundamental to what he is on the pitch to do - create, chip in with goals, he is the best in the league going by the hard facts.  No one else in his team or any of our competitors do that job as well as him, simple as that.

And let's face it, if he hadn't scored and hadn't got an assist, you'd slate him for that too. Can't have it both ways.

In game stats - possession etc, I totally agree, as you know. But when we're talking about stats fundamental to what he is on the pitch to do - create, chip in with goals, he is the best in the league going by the hard facts.  No one else in his team or any of our competitors do that job as well as him, simple as that.

And let's face it, if he hadn't scored and hadn't got an assist, you'd slate him for that too. Can't have it both ways.

First player to hit double figures in both goals and assists in the league too, but aye lets get him punted!  :rofl:

Agree with your point about judging him on cold hard facts such as goals and assists, of course they're a good indication of his performance this season. Anyone who can't see that is probably either blinkered or knows nothing about football... Or both.

Why would I "slate him for that too"?

Do you even understand my opinion about him? I have expressed it in English.

Who is the more valuable, a Brian Grant/Simmie/Cooper type or a Niall McGinn.

Those three would have got less "assists" combined than McGinn.

Are goalkeepers and defenders less worthy footballers than "assist-makers".

I fear that you, fuelled by a lapdog with no balls to confront anything directly, are to be indicted with a lack of debating integrity. Which may or may not be sourced by pride prickling, inexperience or an intellect not quite as robust as first thought.

Why would I "slate him for that too"?

Do you even understand my opinion about him? I have expressed it in English.

Who is the more valuable, a Brian Grant/Simmie/Cooper type or a Niall McGinn.

Those three would have got less "assists" combined than McGinn.

Are goalkeepers and defenders less worthy footballers than "assist-makers".

Who said anything about who is the most valuable in a team? I said he does what he is in the team to do, as did Grant, Simpson and Cooper.  (although I would argue that in 90-91, Grant probably got more assists than McGinn did this season)

I fear that you, fuelled by a lapdog with no balls to confront anything directly, are to be indicted with a lack of debating integrity. Which may or may not be sourced by pride prickling, inexperience or an intellect not quite as robust as first thought.

Think you really need to start giving this shite a miss. 

Think you really need to start giving this shite a miss.

You don't think your comment was insulting? You implied that I was an idiot.

You don't agree that "you would slate him for that too" is superior moral high ground?

Wouldn't you have to actually enter a debate first before claiming victory in it?

Would you like me to give you some advice?

You don't think your comment was insulting? You implied that I was an idiot.

You don't agree that "you would slate him for that too" is superior moral high ground?

Wouldn't you have to actually enter a debate first before claiming victory in it?

Didn't imply it, you inferred it. We all know you're a bit touchy about your intellect.

Didn't imply it, you inferred it. We all know you're a bit touchy about your intellect.

Lol. The irony. Soon to be exposed...

You didn't imply it, you're right. You expressed that I was an idiot.

Specifically, you wrote that I was prejudgemental and unable to see an alternative view.

You concluded that I would have slated the player whatever he had done.

Are you going to answer my question?

:rofl:

Stop taking yourself so fucking seriously.

That's my top tip for today.

You give me advice, twice now. You pick a fight, you jump to erroneous conclusions, you insult me and yet ignore any attempt at reasoned debate... on a fucking internet forum and it's ME that's taking it too seriously?

Fucking hell mate, get a life.