Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Arabs v Dons 02/03

Good win but could and should have been more if it was not for some woeful finishing from Church and McLean especially. Have to say Robson was excellent tonight which is not something I was expecting to be saying when I heard he was playing at 7pm. Arabs had chances and Scott Brown produced a couple of excellent saves near the end. Nervous finish due to not taking chances.

Just back. Cracking result, and some good performances. Interesting, as we looked far more likely to lose a goal tonight than we did on Saturday, but anything less than 3 points would have been a travesty.

Jack and Robson were excellent in midfield, and McLean and Church worked their airses off (McLean missing a couple of decent chances). Pawlett had a good first half and was playing well, but unfortunately came off injured (some sort of arm injury, was weird, he did it before half time but played ten minutes in the second before being taken off - it was obvious he wasn't comfortable). Felt a bit sorry for Pawlett as he is on his last chance with the dons I reckon and was unfortunate with his injury. He played significantly better than McGinn too, who was pish. Fannied out of numerous challenges and held onto the ball too long on more than one occasion - our worst performer. Shinnie great as usual, Considine solid, Brown a couple of decent saves (despite being rooted to his line the whole game) and Flood did well when he came on.

To the ref. Pips Collum for worst decision of the season. Fucking terrible for the second disallowed goal. Shinnie nailed in the box, and everyone assumed he was giving a penalty even though we'd gone on to score (which might have been acceptable). He didn't though, he booked Shinnie for what appears to be diving and gave a free kick to Utd. I don't even think that's a rule. Surely if a player dives - which he absolutely fucking didn't - you wait until the ball goes out of play (in this case for the goal) and then book the player? He just seemed to steam in with a reaction, brandishing his card about, it really was fucking absurd. Thank fuck it didn't cost us like that useless cunt did at the weekend. It'll be worth everyone having a look at in the highlights. I can't see where his decision comes from at all; certainly not the rule book.

Utd? Pish. But not pish enough to go down, they've got a better team than Killie and probably Accies. Thon Pongolle got ditched at half time, he is utter horse. It was hilarious. Their keeper couldn't kick the ball. At all. He had to throw everything and get another player to take goal kicks. I assume he was injured, because it couldn't possibly be a permanent problem. It was crazy, really didn't inspire confidence in their defence. They couldn't pass it back to him because he couldn't kick it - I mean 10 times worse than Leighton.

He played significantly better than McGinn too, who was pish. Fannied out of numerous challenges and held onto the ball too long on more than one occasion - our worst performer.

McGinn doesn't want to win the league, to beat his beloved sellic.

Nobody can believe a professional footballer can be this unprofessional.

I don't trust the cunt. Too many not-trying performances over too long a time.

Talented footballer but a total charlatan loser character.

Just seen the replay of the shinnie 'dive'.

If its a dive then he should be up for the academy award as managing to convincingly fake impact that spins you in a way that is impossible to do (even for world class gymnasts) without quite solid impact from another moving object.

Just glad it didnt come back to haunt us

If its a dive then he should be up for the academy award as managing to convincingly fake impact that spins you in a way that is impossible to do (even for world class gymnasts) without quite solid impact from another moving object.

Saw it too. Just absurd. Surely to fucking hell the club can have that card rescinded?!

Haven't seen the highlights, but it was blatant in real time too. I can't of any other infringement that would result in a yellow card. The problem is that a dive is not a free-kick, so the game should have continued and our goal counted, then Shinnie booked. I've had a look at the rules, and can't find anything relating to diving that says a free-kick should be given. If Madden has got the rules wrong, then that's a far worse offence than the horrendous decision not to give us a penalty and book Shinnie.  It's ridiculous that we will never even find out what the card was given for, and now Shinnie can't be far from suspension for accumulated cards.

I've just seen it again. I can see why he hasn't given the penalty, sort of (it's a huge stretch), it could be argued that the player pulled out of the challenge (I disagree, obviously). But there is absolutely no foul from Shinnie in the incident, so it should have been play on. Madden has got the rules wrong, and I think that our club need to take that  angle and ask for clarification. No conspiracy talk, or accusation, just clarification of the rules regarding the game being stopped for alleged diving.

I've just seen it again. I can see why he hasn't given the penalty, sort of (it's a huge stretch), it could be argued that the player pulled out of the challenge (I disagree, obviously). But there is absolutely no foul from Shinnie in the incident, so it should have been play on. Madden has got the rules wrong, and I think that our club need to take that  angle and ask for clarification. No conspiracy talk, or accusation, just clarification of the rules regarding the game being stopped for alleged diving.

Nae according to Mr. Ian Elmslie. (A former ref who I work with) who states that if the ref deems an offense to have taken place (in this case simulation) play should be stopped and a free kick awarded the other way. I'm nae a walking rule book myself so I'm nae sure.

I agree with you about the penalty claim. I'm not convinced it's a penalty necessarily (although I've only seen it once) but it sure as hell isn't a dive.  :hammer:

Nae according to Mr. Ian Elmslie. (A former ref who I work with) who states that if the ref deems an offense to have taken place (in this case simulation) play should be stopped and a free kick awarded the other way. I'm nae a walking rule book myself so I'm nae sure.

I agree with you about the penalty claim. I'm not convinced it's a penalty necessarily (although I've only seen it once) but it sure as hell isn't a dive.  :hammer:

Ahh, okay, that makes sense then. Cheers. I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules. I suppose, in his own warped mind, Madden has it right and there are no rules to suggest otherwise. I think it could be argued that the Utd player makes enough of an attempt to get out of Shinnie's way, but Shinnie is running at full pelt and has little option other than to run into the player - it's certainly not a dive. Like the decision at the weekend, and Collum's against ICT, you have to really be looking to give a decision against a particular player or team to come to the conclusion that all 3 came to in their respective matches. I'm not suggesting anti-dons conspiracy, more that they are looking for offences that aren't actually there (regardless of team). I feel a bit better now that you've confirmed the rules though!

@ayrshire - totally agree about Robson. Fantastic decision to play him. Exactly the type of sore loser we needed after Saturday. He'd have been as pissed off as anyone that we didn't get the points against Saints, and we needed players with a bit of anger in them last night. Also, I've always thought his game compliments Jacks nicely and the two of them performed brilliantly as a pairing last night, with Jack playing some great passes at times. I'd also stick with them for next week's game. Flood has his benefits, but I do feel that Jack has to be more disciplined (play within himself) when Flood is there because he is unpredictable. Robson will maybe lose his man occasionally, but his positional play is far more natural than Flood's, and easier to read and play alongside.

What a ball by Logan  :thumbsup:

That was my first thought when I saw it too Manc.  It was a nice finish from Church also and that it's another poachers goal is encouraging...... Maybe we won't miss Rooney quite as much as we thought we might.  Church tried a similar header against st j but didn't get his quite angles right as the ball was very slightly behind him as he headed.  Lets hope he can keep this form up as thistle away has banana skin written ALL over it imo.

Just watched the extended highlights. How the fuck did we not score more?  It could have been 4 easily.  The only negatives I could see were the 2 big chances utd had came from Taylor fluffing interceptions again but we should have been out of sight long before that. 

Also robsons post match interview is well worth a watch on red tv, he's going to make a very good manager one day IMO.

Just watched the extended highlights. How the fuck did we not score more?  It could have been 4 easily.  The only negatives I could see were the 2 big chances utd had came from Taylor fluffing interceptions again but we should have been out of sight long before that. 

Also robsons post match interview is well worth a watch on red tv, he's going to make a very good manager one day IMO.

Aye, listened to that yesterday as well. Very well spoken and clearly knows his stuff. If only he was a couple years younger!

For those who don't subscribe, the EE have kindly lifted it:

Aberdeen midfielder Barry Robson is encouraged by the physical and mental strength of his team-mates as they chase Ladbrokes Premiership leaders Celtic.

The Dons ensured they would go into the final 10 matches of the season just four points off the top by beating Dundee United 1-0 at Tannadice on Wednesday night.

Simon Church had a goal harshly disallowed for offside just before heading home Shay Logan’s 29th-minute cross and referee Bobby Madden made a far worse decision when he inexplicably booked Graeme Shinnie for diving just as Paul Dixon put through his own net.

But the Dons held on to rejuvenate the title race and former Celtic midfielder Robson knows they will have to show similar resolve throughout the run-in.

“There’s a lot to look forward to,” the 37-year-old told RedTV. “But pitches are not great at this stage of the season, things are going to be hard, boys are maybe a wee bit tired. But I think we’re probably the fittest and quickest team in the league. And this is the time to show it.

“We have 10 games to go, hard games, but games we can win. But you just take it one game at a time.

“I have been in this situation before. I wasn’t even interested in what the points difference was after the game, all I know is we are close.

“Next game, Partick Thistle, we have just got to take three points. And then the game after that. And that’s the way it has got to be done, there is no other way to do it.”

Robson made his first start of the season at Tannadice after being sidelined by an ankle problem and then failing to convince Derek McInnes of his readiness.

But he was installed against United for his passing range as Aberdeen looked to use their pace out wide to stretch the home back three.

The former Scotland international vindicated his selection and added further encouragement to McInnes that his squad can overcome obstacles. Church took his tally to three goals in five games amid the absence of top goalscorer Adam Rooney and Scott Brown, who played understudy to Danny Ward before Liverpool recalled the goalkeeper, pulled off two excellent late stops.

Craig Storie also recently shone when midfielders Ryan Jack and Willo Flood were injured.

And Robson said: “It’s not about me, the most important thing for me was getting the points. I don’t care who’s playing.

“It’s a squad game, I know that more than anybody. I had to make sure I came in and did a job because they have been doing it all season. I had to stand up and be counted as well. It’s all hands to the pump and you saw that.

“We could have scored more and the thing that pleased me most was the mentality. We had that strength that I felt we weren’t going to lose.

“That’s what we need to take into every single game we go into from now until the end of the season.”

Agree with the Robson comments, he was immense the other night, a real winner.

I found the game to be quite frustrating.  Taylor still launches the ball into no mans land every time he gets it, I wish to fuck he'd lift his head and actually try and pass to a team mate.  Also, why the fuck does Brown nearly always opt to punt the ball aimlessly up the park.  Umpteen times Robson, Shinnie, and Logan came short for him and not once did he take them up on it, he just launched it hopelessly up the park and gave United very easy possession.

McLean was outstanding, that lad has all the tools to play at a higher level. Never wastes a pass, technically very good, he's a constant threat in the final third too. Shinnie was his usual brilliant self, and Logan looked good too.

Glad to read we're appealing the yellow card. Simulation is the one thing you can appeal.  I'd like to think that this'll be successful otherwise that might become an issue in the final run in.

Are we? I didn't think we could appeal. If we can that's tremendous news.