Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

NICHOLSON SOUNDS DONS RALLYING CALL

NICHOLSON SOUNDS DONS RALLYING CALL

08:50 - 07 February 2008

Aberdeen's Barry Nicholson knows how much the fans were let down by Tuesday's League Cup defat by Dundee United - but urges them to remain behind the side ahead of "massive" home games against Celtic and Bayern Munich.

The Dons were masters of their own downfall in front of 7,000 dismayed travelling supporters at Tynecastle on Tuesday - surrendering an early lead before gifting the Arabs three second-half goals on their way to a miserable 4-1 defeat.

Nicholson knows the display was unacceptable but insists the players must pick themselves up before the SPL visit of Celtic on Sunday and then the Uefa Cup last-32 home leg against Bayern next Thursday.

Nicholson said: "The manager got stuck into us afterwards - and rightly so. But he also said we have to pick ourselves up quickly because there are still some massive games in front of us.

"We owe the supporters a performance but it is vital we all stick together. Tuesday was really disappointing for everybody. We believed we could make the final and it hurts to think we will not be there.

"Most of all we are disappointed for the supporters. They travelled in big numbers, I can only imagine how many would have gone to Hampden if we had made it.

"They made a lot of noise, right up until the game was beyond us at 4-1, and hopefully they can get behind us in these two games because we will need them."

Nicholson knows the Dons will need to tighten up their fragile defence going into this crucial period.

He added: "It was not good enough against United, simple as that. We started very sloppy again but we got into the game and were in a decent position before we gave away some terrible goals. I am not blaming anyone because we win and lose as a team but the individual errors are punishing us and we need to work hard to cut them out.

"I can't put my finger on why it keeps happening but the mistakes are really costing us at the moment.

"We have to look at it and take responsibility."

Nicholson believes there is no better match to get the semi-final defeat out of their systems than against champions Celtic.

But Aberdeen have not beaten the Hoops at Pittodrie since December 2001.

The Dons also play host to the Parkhead men on March 8 in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup.

Nicholson said: "The Celtic game is a big one for us. They are the champions and look to have come into a bit of form so we will have to be at our very best.

"The Dundee United game was disappointing but it is in the past and we can't change it. We suffered disappointments last season, such as the League Cup loss at Queen's Park, but we responded and went on a run and need to do so again.

"There is no better way to start one than against Celtic.

"They are the only team the manager has not beaten in his time here and we want to put that right for him."

Former Celtic forward Jamie Smith remains a fitness doubt for Sunday with a hamstring strain and will be assessed tomorrow.

Sign on or fuck up.

Bit hard to take a "rallying call" from someone who still hasn't said whether he is staying or not.

As the only one who looked like he gave a shit on Tuesday, I'd say he's more committed to playing for the shirt than any of the rest of them.  As far as I'm concerned, Barry Nicholson is probably entitled to look around him and think "what the f*ck am I doing here?"  I certainly don't want him to leave but I find the whole "I'd drop him until he signs a new contract" thing a bit sour.

As the only one who looked like he gave a shit on Tuesday, I'd say he's more committed to playing for the shirt than any of the rest of them.  As far as I'm concerned, Barry Nicholson is probably entitled to look around him and think "what the f*ck am I doing here?"  I certainly don't want him to leave but I find the whole "I'd drop him until he signs a new contract" thing a bit sour.

I didn't say "drop him". I said "fuck up". A rallying call from Zander would be far more appropriate. This isn't.

In common with most other posters, my first reaction when reading this article was:

"Fucking heard it!"

Same old pish, chat away to the papers about what they need to do or are gonna do - then it never fucking materialises.

Try playing a bit better Barry, instead o' bumping yer gums.

Who did then? You quoted me.  ;)

You made me do it:

I wouldn't play them.

I know there's the cutting your nose off to spite your face but they aren't at all commited to AFC anymore.

In Clark's case you wonder if that applied at all.

What has that to do with this discussion?

The bitter frame of mind towards a player who shows more effort on the pitch than any of the rest of them.  What they do on the park is more important than what they say or do off it.

The bitter frame of mind towards a player who shows more effort on the pitch than any of the rest of them.  What they do on the park is more important than what they say or do off it.

As I said, inappapropriate for him to be attempting to so publicly rally the team when his commitment to it's future is so much in doubt.

I'm not in any way bitter either, I want him to stay.

How many times have we heard this type of "rallying call" this season?  It's all getting a bit boring now.

Just produce the goods on the park and I'll be happy.

As BTR said, Nicholson was probably one of the best players on the park on Tuesday night and I'd say that you cant question his effort at all this season. People were happy enough for McNaughton and Heikkinen to play when they had actually announced that they were leaving, there is still a chance that Nicholson will stay.