Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

A successful season

We've had lots of comments on how we are having a very successful season in recent weeks. Being 'realistic' with the current form and current squad, there is a chance we go out to Celtic in the cup, out to Bayern, and a top six is no where near guaranteed. We haven't beaten a 'good side' in any domestic cup, may win one of of eight European games, and are gifting goals at the back far too regularly. People were praising the job Jimmy has done but we are starting to see us lose by more than 2 goals again far too regularly which hasn't happened much at all in the last 2-3 years.

I've expressed my views on JC before, but it appears we have gone backwards this year. Luck in the cups to get as far as we did and average at best in the league. Looking at the big picture, how does the future look?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make your own luck in cup competitions. You can only beat (or not in last night's case) what's in front of you.

Absolutely.  We had no cup runs at all last year.  This year we have, but the criticism has been that we have only got so far because we have had weak opposition.  Well I think we should petition the SFA to ensure we get much harder draws next year!

A successful season for me would be a trophy of some sort.  But this season is definitely a step forward from last year, it just doesn't feel like it at the moment.

Season isn't over (yet)...

But this season is definitely a step forward from last year, it just doesn't feel like it at the moment.

The current squad is at least two steps back from the one we had last season. Step one Anderson leaving and step two was other players going and bringing in Dundee Utd rejects!

The only way you can say we have improved is the UEFA cup which is due to the consistancy of last years team. That consistancy has gone.

Defensively we are poorer, and this can be put down to our second half performances. Taking into account all the goals scored and conceded this season in all competitions, we perform worse defensively in the second half.

So far we have scored 47 goals, 24 in the first and 23 in the second half.

Defensively we have also conceded 47 goals, but this time there is a difference with 18 in the first half and 29 in the second half.

Agree completey with Mizer, We are not the same team in any way as last season and I reckon the players know that too, meaning there is not the same confidence through the squad. The amount of goals that we have conceded this season is disgraceful, but that goes back to not having a settled back line. Nothing Caldo has done this season has created any confidence in our players. 

From last season the logical next step in improvement would be to win a cup whilst retaining our European slot. As 3 place is in doubt that really only leaves theScottish cup to win.....Oh well there is always next season!

For as bad as it seems to have gotten this year, I still don't think you can completely blame JC.

I very much doubt he wanted Anderson out and you just had to watch the press conference to see what he thought of selling Clark and Hart.

The players he wanted in when he first came here are all but leaving, the ones that where here when he got here but he liked have left, the youngsters are not up to much and he's getting £1.4m over the next 3 years to bolster the squad.

Whoopdee-fucking-doo.

:hammer:

From last season the logical next step in improvement would be to win a cup whilst retaining our European slot. As 3 place is in doubt that really only leaves theScottish cup to win.....Oh well there is always next season!

Well since football isn't a computer programme I very much doubt there is a logical step (captain).  :spocksmilie:

We were still in all competitions up until February instead of getting pumped out in the first round by a lower league team.

There's progress there, but not as you know it.  :thumbsup:

For as bad as it seems to have gotten this year, I still don't think you can completely blame JC.

I very much doubt he wanted Anderson out and you just had to watch the press conference to see what he thought of selling Clark and Hart.

The players he wanted in when he first came here are all but leaving, the ones that where here when he got here but he liked have left, the youngsters are not up to much and he's getting £1.4m over the next 3 years to bolster the squad.

Whoopdee-fucking-doo.

Are you saying there is not other pool of players available at the moment but the Dundee Utd reserves?

If JC had been scouting during the summer rather than taking a 6 week holiday in the summer he may have had some players marked out to replace leaving players rather than seeing what Utd want rid of and some player his son says isnt getting a game in Holland.

Yes he is getting less money, but to be honest I wouldnt trust him with it. He would have just bought Scott Wilson from Dunf - we only didnt as we didnt have the money to pay for him!

If JC had been scouting during the summer rather than taking a 6 week holiday in the summer he may have had some players marked out to replace leaving players rather than seeing what Utd want rid of and some player his son says isnt getting a game in Holland.

Was going to rant about this too.

Surely to fuck any proper manager would have a list of players that he would take in rather than last minute panic buys.  Shouldn't we have players sounded out for Bosman signings in the summer or are we going to wait until June and pick up the players that nobody else wants?

Was going to rant about this too.

Surely to fuck any proper manager would have a list of players that he would take in rather than last minute panic buys.  Shouldn't we have players sounded out for Bosman signings in the summer or are we going to wait until June and pick up the players that nobody else wants?

Rant about that too if you want, but you're both bleathering nothing short of complete and utter speculation.

The boy is allowed 6 weeks holidays just as you and I are.  It'll be in his contract and it's not like he's skipping the country and phoning in sick.

But you both seem to know for a fact he doesn't have a list of players.  ::)

Whereas I'd say he has a list of players who he'll have told Miller he wants.  Miller deals with contract negotiations so depending on budget, he'll take the list and score a black marker through the top twenty who will require fees.  Another twenty will be marked off because of they wages they command, then Miller hands him the list back with United rejects.

I'll tell you what Mizer, here's £100.  Go down to Dixons and buy me a 50' plasma with surround sound and one of those Lazy-boyz reclining leather chairs.  ::)

Now if you wasn't blinded by your hatred for JC you might go down town and buy me a handful of cinema tickets.  Not quite the same thing but you'll have made do with the scraps you've got and found a half decent alternative for the time being.

Of course when you come back with that I'll moan you wasn't working Xmas day, your skin tone, how you need to drop a few kilos and the way you were waving your hands around when you was complaining about the price of cinema tickets these days.  ::)

Look at the big fucking picture for once....

Any manager we have in the door will have to work under the same constraints.  Plenty have been shown the door before JC and they've embarressed us a lot more than he has.

Milne is holding this club back and he's the one you should be venting your fury at.

Rant about that too if you want, but you're both bleathering nothing short of complete and utter speculation.

The boy is allowed 6 weeks holidays just as you and I are.  It'll be in his contract and it's not like he's skipping the country and phoning in sick.

But you both seem to know for a fact he doesn't have a list of players.  ::)

Whereas I'd say he has a list of players who he'll have told Miller he wants.  Miller deals with contract negotiations so depending on budget, he'll take the list and score a black marker through the top twenty who will require fees.  Another twenty will be marked off because of they wages they command, then Miller hands him the list back with United rejects.

I'll tell you what Mizer, here's £100.  Go down to Dixons and buy me a 50' plasma with surround sound and one of those Lazy-boyz reclining leather chairs.  ::)

Now if you wasn't blinded by your hatred for JC you might go down town and buy me a handful of cinema tickets.  Not quite the same thing but you'll have made do with the scraps you've got and found a half decent alternative for the time being.

Of course when you come back with that I'll moan you wasn't working Xmas day, your skin tone, how you need to drop a few kilos and the way you were waving your hands around when you was complaining about the price of cinema tickets these days.  ::)

Look at the big fucking picture for once....

Any manager we have in the door will have to work under the same constraints.  Plenty have been shown the door before JC and they've embarressed us a lot more than he has.

Milne is holding this club back and he's the one you should be venting your fury at.

A mighty fine post and spot on IMHO.

:clap:

Whoopdee-fucking-doo.

I entirely agree that the management of our club is hideous and Stewart Milne is to be blame for that, but unfortunately, for the forseeable future we're stuck with it. The problem with JC and the transfer market is that he appears to only go for guys he knows... all the DAFC guys, Derek Young, Stuart Duff... as I've said before he's like a dog with a bone when it comes to signings. Once he has it in his head he wants to sign someone he never moves on from it even if he can't get them.

He has made some really good signings, I am not for a second suggesting otherwise, it's just that his signing policy appears to be rather one dimensional and that's what really annoys me.

etc etc

A mighty fine post.

Now I'm not one to rant about Calderwood and have stuck up for him before.  Ok, Calderwood has to scrape around in the bargain bucket, but look who scored for United on Tuesday.

Darren Dods - Free from Inverness

Craig Conway - Free from Ayr United

Morgaro Gomis - Free from Cowdenbeath

The players are out there, I just don't think Calderwood knows where to look.

A mighty fine post.

Now I'm not one to rant about Calderwood and have stuck up for him before.  Ok, Calderwood has to scrape around in the bargain bucket, but look who scored for United on Tuesday.

Darren Dods - Free from Inverness

Craig Conway - Free from Ayr United

Morgaro Gomis - Free from Cowdenbeath

The players are out there, I just don't think Calderwood knows where to look.

I still think our players are better.

That leaves more issues, Calderwoods ability to motivate them, though in a semi-final they shouldn't need any and his ability to convey his tactics to them.

Calderwood, IMO, is dealing with the thickest team in the SPL and still insists upon employing different formations and tactics on a weekly basis. This is our problem.

Fair points, but up until Tuesday I can't remember anyone mentioning any of them on here when United was signing them.

So we all have to have heard of players that we're signing?  This is the whole point I think, that it requires investigation, that Calderwood and his management team have to try to unearth these players. Other managers seem to be able to do it, I don't see why we can't.

No.

My point being that those three players would have been made to feel as welcome on here as when we announced Mair, Duff and co. signed.

For some reason our United rejects aren't good enough but:

Darren Dods - Reject from Inverness

Craig Conway - Reject from Ayr United

Morgaro Gomis - Reject from Cowdenbeath

Are gems?

Sorry ST, but Conway and Gomis tore us a new arsehole the other night. The posters on this board (perhaps not others) would have given them a chance, not sure about Darren Dods, right enough!

It may well be the case that had we signed them, there would have been a few moans here and there, but if they produced good performances I think enough of us on here would be willing to admit we were wrong.

People have given Mair a chance but he's not up to it. Duff has never been a good player.

The difference for me is not so much the players that Calderwood has signed, the crux of the issue for me is that although we have been weakened with the departure of Clark and Hart, we still have the third best squad in the SPL and the problem is either JC's lack of ability to empower the players or the players ability to motivate themselves.

I don't believe for a second that Dods, Gomis or Conway are in any way good enough to play for AFC (nor indeed I believe are Mair or Duff, but that is an entirely different argument), but the difference is that Levein has a way of getting the best out of his players, silk purses and sows ears and all that.

If not for the pathetically useless deployment of tactics in the last couple of months, there is a definite issue with motivation somewhere along the line.  I would hazard a guess (and it is an educated one at that) that certain players are frustrated with being shunted around the team from week to week and that that in turn has a demoralising effect on the team.  Yes, they should be professional enough to deal with it, but so too should the person who selects the team to realise that he is in effect contributing the the decline in standards at the club.  As these standards decline, so too will home crowds and so too will turnover and at which point the board have a very important decision to make.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating the sacking of Calderwood in any way, but the board needs to see the way we are going if the slide continues, and slide we will until certain individuals take responsibilty for what is going on.