Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

iPhone 5s - Replacement Screen

Edinburghdon

Is it just the glass or the LCD screen too? Your best bet, min, is to tackle it yourself. There's nothing difficult about it. The parts are dirt cheap off ebay/Amazon and if you have a methodical approach it's a easy. There are some really good tutorials on YouTube that take you through the process. If you take it to Apple or one of the immigrant shops on the Indoor Market or George Street they'll charge you £50-£80. If you do it yourself the parts will cost you about a tenner including the wee tool set that you need. For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Horrizon-Replacement-Screen-Included/dp/B00H7BCNCI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1443543082&sr=8-11&keywords=iphone+5s+glass+and+screen

The only thing you want to watch out for is if the parts that you order are coming from within the UK or Asia. The parts from Asia are fine but they take about a fortnight to arrive.

Is it just the glass or the LCD screen too? Your best bet, min, is to tackle it yourself. There's nothing difficult about it. The parts are dirt cheap off ebay/Amazon and if you have a methodical approach it's a easy. There are some really good tutorials on YouTube that take you through the process. If you take it to Apple or one of the immigrant shops on the Indoor Market or George Street they'll charge you £50-£80. If you do it yourself the parts will cost you about a tenner including the wee tool set that you need. For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Horrizon-Replacement-Screen-Included/dp/B00H7BCNCI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1443543082&sr=8-11&keywords=iphone+5s+glass+and+screen

The only thing you want to watch out for is if the parts that you order are coming from within the UK or Asia. The parts from Asia are fine but they take about a fortnight to arrive.

Hmm I must admit I hadn't considered doing it myself... It looks in a shite state but can still use the screen so maybe I've got lucky and only smashed the glass. Due an upgrade in 3 weeks anyway so may just give it a go myself, cheers!

If it's just the front glass definitely tackle it yourself. If I can do it anyone can. Just setup a wee tray and have a screen next to it so you can follow a youtube tutorial. It's nae that hard.  :thumbsup:

All ordered so I'll give it a go, cheers!

Just take it into a shop and replace it with something that isn't Apple.

Problem solved.

Why would I want to go and do a silly thing like that?... ???

It's fashionable to dislike Apple. Aye their gear is over-priced but it's about the same price as all the lastest Samsung Android gear as well. IOS is built for the hardware. Unlike Android. So generally runs a lot more smoothly. Whilst you can't really customise it all that much only geeky wankfucks care about that.

Unless you've got a Nokia 3310 you've got a phone with a screen that'll break. No matter if it's HTC, Samsung, Apple or Blackberry.

It's fashionable to dislike Apple. Aye their gear is over-priced but it's about the same price as all the lastest Samsung Android gear as well. IOS is built for the hardware. Unlike Android. So generally runs a lot more smoothly. Whilst you can't really customise it all that much only geeky wankfucks care about that.

It's fashionable to dislike overpriced stuff that breaks?

Fair enough, I must be the height of fashion.

Unless you've got a Nokia 3310 you've got a phone with a screen that'll break. No matter if it's HTC, Samsung, Apple or Blackberry.

Not true in the slightest.

I dare say that's what Apple have sold you.  Literally.

Fair enough, I must be the height of fashion.

Not true in the slightest.

I dare say that's what Apple have sold you.  Literally.

Not true? If you know of a phone with an unbreakable screen please do share because that's something I'd be interested in!

Although having said that I have dropped my phone countless times from varying heights on to various surfaces and no part of it has ever broken. Even the edges are like new because it's always been in a silicone protective case. It cost me 99p from ebay.

Please to explain how the iPhone is overpriced but the Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge, for example, isn't? Folk only whinge about the Apple stuff being overpriced, even though most other brands are as well, because it's cool.  ::)

In fairness I had 3 HTC phones before this one and all have broken, one of which broke out of the blue.

Since getting my current phone its not skipped a beat and survived a pretty large drop with only breaking the glass on the screen... the LCD itself was perfectly fine.

Guess its all down to individual experiences though, maybe I've just been unlucky with every single android phone ive had  :dunno:

I'm away to get my fourth iPhone at the turn of the year. The reason I always go back to them is that they are reliable, they do what I need them to do and I don't think they're particularly expensive although it's a business expense so I don't really care about saving a fiver or tenner a month. If indeed that was possible. Never checked the competition and even if they are premium-priced, they are brilliantly functional. The beauty of my MacBook and my iPhone is that there were designed by superior beings, people who engineered maximum user-friendliness and utmost efficiency into the various interfaces. I'm happy to pay for the best of quality as long as it still represents good value.

I'm away to get my fourth iPhone at the turn of the year. The reason I always go back to them is that they are reliable, they do what I need them to do and I don't think they're particularly expensive although it's a business expense so I don't really care about saving a fiver or tenner a month. If indeed that was possible. Never checked the competition and even if they are premium-priced, they are brilliantly functional. The beauty of my MacBook and my iPhone is that there were designed by superior beings, people who engineered maximum user-friendliness and utmost efficiency into the various interfaces. I'm happy to pay for the best of quality as long as it still represents good value.

I can't see me changing from an iphone in a hurry, been nothing but impressed with it over the last 2 years.

A macbook may very well be my next purchase, I'm sick of spending nearly as much on a laptop only for it to start failing after a couple of years.  Anyone I've met who has gone for a macbook raves about them and they're still going strong years later.

I can't see me changing from an iphone in a hurry, been nothing but impressed with it over the last 2 years.

A macbook may very well be my next purchase, I'm sick of spending nearly as much on a laptop only for it to start failing after a couple of years.  Anyone I've met who has gone for a macbook raves about them and they're still going strong years later.

I got a MacBook Air almost 3 years ago and it performs as good and exactly the same as the day I got it. I've since bought the two oldest daughters one for their birthdays as students, they can't have laptops breaking down which they always do after a finite amount of time, always 3 years in my case.

Find a student to "buy one" for you to take advantage of the generous discount plus Office for a discount too.

I got a MacBook Air almost 3 years ago and it performs as good and exactly the same as the day I got it. I've since bought the two oldest daughters one for their birthdays as students, they can't have laptops breaking down which they always do after a finite amount of time, always 3 years in my case.

Find a student to "buy one" for you to take advantage of the generous discount plus Office for a discount too.

Yeah its been about 3 years since i got my last laptop and its basically unusable now, that's despite taking fairly good care of it...

My girlfriends brothers already offered to use his student discount however I must admit i didn't know you could also get student discount on office, thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

Yeah its been about 3 years since i got my last laptop and its basically unusable now, that's despite taking fairly good care of it...

My girlfriends brothers already offered to use his student discount however I must admit i didn't know you could also get student discount on office, thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

It's a no brainer. My previous 4 laptops lasted 12 years, if that. The price of MacBook Airs are coming down all the time, the last one a couple of months cost maybe 67% of my one, 2.5 years ago. No need for the more expensive MacBook unless you're a graphic artist or desktop publisher, the MacBook Air is fantastic. 13 inch screen we all went for.

It's a no brainer. My previous 4 laptops lasted 12 years, if that. The price of MacBook Airs are coming down all the time, the last one a couple of months cost maybe 67% of my one, 2.5 years ago. No need for the more expensive MacBook unless you're a graphic artist or desktop publisher, the MacBook Air is fantastic. 13 inch screen we all went for.

Ah yeah it's either the air or the MacBook I've been looking at, already decided against the MacBook Pro as I just don't need that high a spec! Shite time to be thinking about spending so much on a laptop but guess there's never going to be a great time!

Not true? If you know of a phone with an unbreakable screen please do share because that's something I'd be interested in!

Although having said that I have dropped my phone countless times from varying heights on to various surfaces and no part of it has ever broken. Even the edges are like new because it's always been in a silicone protective case. It cost me 99p from ebay.

Please to explain how the iPhone is overpriced but the Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge, for example, isn't? Folk only whinge about the Apple stuff being overpriced, even though most other brands are as well, because it's cool.  ::)

Here be the problem.

Folk that queue overnight to buy a 500 quid rose gold iphone that needs to be protected with a 99p rubber johnny makes me warm inside.

I'm not entirely sure if they make protective cases or screen covers for Samsung phones because their screens aren't made from a material that you have to protect like your first born.

Here be the problem.

I'm not entirely sure if they make protective cases or screen covers for Samsung phones because their screens aren't made from a material that you have to protect like your first born.

I've not found that to be the case at all, in my experience there's not much between the two when it comes to the strength of the screens.