Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

HIVS v Dons

So we go to Easter Road on Wednesday in the League Cup. Is it wrong that I'm less bothered about this because of how well we're doing in the league? Obviously I'm hoping for a win and I think we will win but if I had to pick between winning on Wednesday and winning on Saturday I'd choose Saturday. I just don't think we're deep enough to fight on more than one front. Maybe I'm wrong. Will other players get the nod ahead of regular starters? Scott Brown? McLaughlin? Robson? Smith? Even with all those in we should have more than enough about us to see off Hibs.

In/Out?: In

Think Brown and McLaughlin are shoe ins to start the game.

Wouldn't be surprised to see others coming in.

Agree that even with changes we should have enough in the tank to win this one, but you just never know in a one off cup game.

Out as golfing in The Algarve ;D

1-2 Shinnie & Parker

Don't give a rat's ass about the league cup this year, we have bigger fish to fry. I would be quite happy to play the kids/back up players in this one. Eg

Brown

McLaughlin

Rose

Quinn

Henry

Flood

Robson

Wright

Smith

Orsi

Parker

That's a good blend of youth and experience that is more than capable of giving hibs a game.

Unlike others I want a win in this one as I still think we are more likely to win the cups than we are the league. Would not think there will be many changes but would expect to see Brown McLaughlin and Parker to start. With Rooney not starting on Sunday see no reason for him not to play this one.

In

Artisan

Away end

30 second walk back to flat.

2-0 Rooney double.

Agree with you Jute.  As much as I'd love to win the league, it's still unlikely. i'd still like to see how far we can go in all competitions.  You aim for one you're likely to fail in that and then what?  It's a cliche but you've got to be in it to win it.  I'd like to see a bit of squad rotation, but i'd be a bit concerned about playing both Robson and Flood in the same team.  Probably end up with 9 or 10 men on the park!

Out

Fives

hopefully flat

Flat

1-0 Dons, Rooney

just ordered me tickets and heading straight there after work, whats the best street to park in for away supporters

Regent Walk where the buses park is closest but not sure if there are restrictions there due road works at Abbeyhill. If not going for a pint then Marrionville Road might be an option as you can now cut through Lochend Park.

Agree with you Jute.  As much as I'd love to win the league, it's still unlikely. i'd still like to see how far we can go in all competitions.  You aim for one you're likely to fail in that and then what?  It's a cliche but you've got to be in it to win it.  I'd like to see a bit of squad rotation, but i'd be a bit concerned about playing both Robson and Flood in the same team.  Probably end up with 9 or 10 men on the park!

Out

Fives

hopefully flat

Flat

1-0 Dons, Rooney

I can understand that but  I just don't think we will get another shot at the title as good as this for a while.    Not only that there is no doubt that McInnes as well as our key players will be on bigger clubs radars by now.  I genuinely think the only chance we have of keeping this squad and management team together is to win the league and to have  a CL qualifying carrot for next season. 

For me the most realistic chance of winning the league is to build up a big enough cushion over celtic whilst they have europa league to contend with.  Come January they will be spending big as not winning the league and it's resulting no CL qualifying would be incredibly damaging for them, especially having not qualified the past few seasons.... we saw their recent 4 mill loss. We have a chance to win the league cup every season, the same cannot be said of the League so I have to respectfully disagree and say I don't give a rats ass about the League cup this season. 

The Scottish cup is a different story as we will have a far better idea of where the league challenge is by the time the 3rd round comes round. 

I don't get this crap about not being bothered about the league cup - it took us 19 years to fucking win the damm thing  >:D

Yep. I think it's a little bit Timmish. We need to win everything we play in. We need guys like Cammy Smith, Robson etc to be match ready when the time comes. We've got a big enough of squad of decent players now that we should not be concentrating solely on league performances.

It's 4 matches to win this cup. If 4 matches are going to knock us out of our stride for the league then we are not ready to win the league - and, are those who are saying this also the ones who wanted a run in Europe?

I would have happily sacrificed two of those European rounds for league cup success. It's an utter nonsense people saying they'd sack this competition off...but I suppose when we're in the final they'll not be too bothered about getting a ticket for it...  :wave:

I'm just looking at the bigger picture. We don't have a massive squad and there are certain players we just can't afford to lose to long term injury if we want to be in the mix come may. I'm thinking the likes of Ward, Jack, McGinn, Rooney and Shinnie to name a few.

We can stick out a competitive side without risking key players. If we make the final that's a different story but the reality the situation is with the size of squad we have I think we need to pick our battles.

I'm just looking at the bigger picture. We don't have a massive squad and there are certain players we just can't afford to lose to long term injury if we want to be in the mix come may. I'm thinking the likes of Ward, Jack, McGinn, Rooney and Shinnie to name a few.

We can stick out a competitive side without risking key players. If we make the final that's a different story but the reality the situation is with the size of squad we have I think we need to pick our battles.

We "only" have to win two matches this side of Christmas and we're in a semi final. It's hardly a strain on the squad, is it? 

Players are at risk every time they go training or play in friendly matches. Shinnie played against Viking two weeks ago for goodness sake. 

Our players - key players included - will likely relish the opportunity of progressing in a cup competition, if they don't there's something wrong with them.

Yeah and I wasn't very happy about Shinnie playing that game.

Another thing with the league cup is that it's midweek games which can lead to more chance of accumulated fatigue injury. Ict on Saturday is going to be our fifth game in two weeks. I do get what you're saying BB, it's not that many games more, but we have already played 6 games more than most as it is and it all add's up.

Yeah and I wasn't very happy about Shinnie playing that game.

Another thing with the league cup is that it's midweek games which can lead to more chance of accumulated fatigue injury. Ict on Saturday is going to be our fifth game in two weeks. I do get what you're saying BB, it's not that many games more, but we have already played 6 games more than most as it is and it all add's up.

But these aren't extra games for us - these are matches we always have and do remember we've had a weekend off, too.  It isn't as if we're in the Europa League.

We have had 5 games in two weeks and won the lot of them. We have the momentum. By all means, one or two changes would be good tomorrow night but to say you don't give a rat's ass about the competition? I can't ever agree with that. We should be aiming to win every domestic trophy until it's impossible to do so.

League and cup double for me. Doesn't have to be one or the other!!!

The cup is a great opportunity to take our minds off the league. Give 3-4 players a runaround who've not been playing so much. Minimal strain on the squad, one extra game every 6 weeks or so. Players like Brown, Parker, Robson, Flood, Pawlett etc need more match sharpness if anything, could even add Goodwillie to that of late. Great chance to freshen things up and keep the whole squad sharp.

cash gate a boost for me.  can see 3 or 4 changes at least with few star  players on bench like the jute game .  going be hard game  the guys on the bench might have come on  to put hibees  bed.  personally my mind is on Saturday but like folk say couple games away from a semi final ..

Cash turnstile is a bonus as it means there are likely to be seats available in the Upper Tier available as the ticket I got through the club is in row C. Unless anyone wants to switch.

I agree that we should maybe rest a few lads but I would certainly be looking for us to put this lot to bed and get through to the Quarter finals.

I can't decide if we will play Rooney / Goodwillie or both. I thought it would have been Rooney given he was rested on Sunday but after Goodie's performance I think he is in with a good shout of starting tonight. Anyone have any ideas?

My lineup prediction is

Brown

McLaughlin Taylor Quinn Shinnie

Pawlett Flood McLean Robson Parker

Goodwillie

Cash turnstile is a bonus as it means there are likely to be seats available in the Upper Tier available as the ticket I got through the club is in row C. Unless anyone wants to switch.

I agree that we should maybe rest a few lads but I would certainly be looking for us to put this lot to bed and get through to the Quarter finals.

I can't decide if we will play Rooney / Goodwillie or both. I thought it would have been Rooney given he was rested on Sunday but after Goodie's performance I think he is in with a good shout of starting tonight. Anyone have any ideas?

My lineup prediction is

Brown

McLaughlin Taylor Quinn Shinnie

Pawlett Flood McLean Robson Parker

Goodwillie

Good thinking. Like yer style.

I do feel a bit sorry for old Barry bench Robson. It would be good to give him a start. There's nothing worse than finally getting a start and then blowing it with a poor performance so giving Pawlett another chance makes perfect sense. We're not Arsenal or Man U who have depth of squads where they play a whole new team in the League Cup but I would go with that 11.

Interesting you kept most of the back 4, only swapping Logan out. Again a perfect opportunity to do so.

That should boost morale, particularly when we win. That's a motivational team selection that one. Works on many levels. Would want McGinn on the bench though just in case.