Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Calderwood poll after last night's shambles

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kneejerk reaction to sack him now and would look really bad.

Although I appreciate what he had done for the club, I think he's taken us as far as he can and come the end of the season, I think we need someone new to bring us to the next level.

Just hope he manages to get a European spot for us this year, think a trophy is out the window now.

Just wondering what the thoughts are on this forum.

Me, I'd give him until the end of the season.

Likewise for me.

It is not stretching it to say that I'm still devastated at what I witnessed last night.

I know we have lost better players than him in the past, but I don't think Aberdeen has ever missed a player as much as we miss Russell Anderson now. It's Calderwood's job to make sure that we cope with that loss. He hasn't done it.

Our team has no soul.

I know we have lost better players than him in the past, but I don't think Aberdeen has ever missed a player as much as we miss Russell Anderson now. It's Calderwood's job to make sure that we cope with that loss. He hasn't done it.

We've lost better players with deeper effect. Early 70s "exodus" after the cup win springs to mind...almost responsible for relegation in '75-76.

Our team has no soul.

No. they have no desire other than to prance aboot in a UEFA game.

Our defence is a shambles and Langfield is a big pussy.

A team that can't defend can't play football as they are so nervous both in and out of possession.

I've sat through worse Aberdeen performances, but never been quite so disappointed I don't think.

What is the point of getting to a cup semi to play like that?!?

As far as Calderwoood goes; if he were a player I think we might define him by the old chestnut: 'flatters to deceive'.

As for the players; a big fucking BOOOOOOOO!! to them - biggest bottle-merchants on the planet.

>:D

I ticked the "end of season" option. Unfortunately he has a clause in his contract basically removing the chance of him being fired if everything goes wrong this season. So, basically, he's got nothing to play for this season. There's no reason why he should continue to push his side this season, because he's got a job regardless of the final results come May. Which sucks!!!!! Because ever since he signed his new contract, we've been gash!

Must have been match fitness?

Him and Foster haven't been fit to wear the jersey for some time now.

The team need some stability, something that Calderwood seems dead set against providing. A bit of familiarity, primarily at the back. Calderwood, to be fair, has been let down by some fucking awful performances, collectively and individually and some jaw droppingly ridiculous individual errors but that said, a settled back line is essential.

Just get a back four and fucking play them Jimmy for fuck sake. McNamara, Diamond, Byrne, Maybury. Stick with it. The midfield is a Jakki Brambles. Foster cannot keep a hold of the ball, I wasn't there last night but I just know he gave it away cheaply every other timne he got it. Walker getting a first team game in a semi final after just signing is ridiculous and Seve has lost a yard, at best, sit him in front of the defence or on the bench.

The front 2. Or 1. (Fuck sake Jimmy, 1 up front in a semi against 2 big bruising centre halves is just the worst tactical decision I have heard of for some time). Again, something settled, that does NOT involve Young playing as an kind of striker, auxiliary or fucking otherwise. Oh and leave Maguire in the hairdressers.

The team need some stability, something that Calderwood seems dead set against providing. A bit of familiarity, primarily at the back. Calderwood, to be fair, has been let down by some fucking awful performances, collectively and individually and some jaw droppingly ridiculous individual errors but that said, a settled back line is essential.

Just get a back four and fucking play them Jimmy for fuck sake. McNamara, Diamond, Byrne, Maybury. Stick with it. The midfield is a Jakki Brambles. Foster cannot keep a hold of the ball, I wasn't there last night but I just know he gave it away cheaply every other timne he got it. Walker getting a first team game in a semi final after just signing is ridiculous and Seve has lost a yard, at best, sit him in front of the defence or on the bench.

The front 2. Or 1. (Fuck sake Jimmy, 1 up front in a semi against 2 big bruising centre halves is just the worst tactical decision I have heard of for some time). Again, something settled, that does NOT involve Young playing as an kind of striker, auxiliary or fucking otherwise. Oh and leave Maguire in the hairdressers.

Absolutely agree with all this.  If you even look at the big Premiership sides - ManU, Arsenal in particular - and as much as they may rotate certain aspects of the side, it is NEVER the defence. That should have been sorted pre-season when we knew Anderson was leaving. It's just basic football sense.

I said give him until the end of the season. Its blatantly clear to all who watch the Dons every week that he has taken us as far as we can and we are no heading backwards at an alarming rate! The biggest fuck up is that he was given the extended contract so we'll be due him a hefty fee when he does get the boot.

I agree with funster, especially on the fact that Walker shouldnt have played. He may be a good player, but he has been here 2 seconds and to throw him in at the deep end like that was harsh.

I put down for the end of the season, because the team is stale and cannot go on the way it is, but im prepared to give jimmy a bit of time to put things right.

pretty much spot on there funster apart from chosing jackie mcnamara he's awfull going forward, has no pace at all. we've really been spoilt having hart for so long even if could only put in the odd decent ball.

I'm standing by Jimmy Calderwood.

Aberdeen have improved a lot under his contol, despite financial restrictions that many preceding managers never had to overcome.

Yes, bad defeat, defensive errors, but I stayed to the end and managed to keep my scarf!

On the subject of players; MacNamara is effectively finished at this level and Considine is never a left-back. Walker, Diamond and Bus (late-on substitution) showed commitment.

Likewise for me.

It is not stretching it to say that I'm still devastated at what I witnessed last night.

Our team has no soul.

Sadly that sums it up so well BB, you are right... our team has no soul

I have been a JC supporter but as tihs season rolls on and more and more horrors are unveiled, it is clear that the basic, elemental areas of the team have not been given the proper attention. At this point of the season to not hae a settled back line is disturbing. I am also beginning to accept (realisation dawned ages ago) that Caldo frequently gets outwitted by guys like levein who play essentially a simple game.  The saying football is a simple game made complicated by bad managers is becoming more and more appropriate to the Tango man.  I just think his time is running out. The only way to save himself I reckon would be to have a show of leadership and clear out some dead wood of guys not up to the mark, like byrne.  But we simply can not afford this course of action.