Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Lapira Finally Arrives

LAPIRA SEEKING DONS GREEN LIGHT

American striker Joseph Lapira is aiming to realise his Irish international ambitions by winning a contract with Aberdeen.

The US forward has arrived in Scotland for a two-week trial with the Dons and travelled with the reserve squad for yesterday's match against Caley Thistle in Inverness. Lapira did not receive international clearance to play in the Highlands but is desperate to pull on an Aberdeen strip and show what he can do. The 21-year-old was capped by Ireland against Ecuador in 2007 inNewYork.

He qualifies for the Irishteam through his mother and believes a move to the SPL will be the key to building on his cap tally. Lapira said: "Hopefully, the clearance will come through in the next two or three days and I can get some games. "I'm keen to play in Scotland and there's no doubt that would improve my chances of playing for the Republic of Ireland. "Hopefully, it will all work out for me with Aberdeen. If not, I'll certainly look at other opportunities in Scotland.

"I've only been here for 24 hours but I'm looking forward to getting started. The standard of the reserve game was very good, higher than the college football I'm used to in America, but I can'twait to show what I can do."

Lapira has been tracked by the Dons since April last year. He was due for a trial at Pittodrie in August but those plans were abandoned when he suffered an injury during a July training stint with Rangers, the other Scottish club on the player's trail. Lapira said: "I tore my calf muscle badly at Rangers and had to go home. At this moment in time, I haven't heard any more from them and I'm concentrating on doing my best while I'm in Aberdeen."

Lapira has a year of his business studies degree at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana to complete but is prepared to turn his back on his studies to make his SPL dream a reality.

He added: "I have the option to return and complete my degree at a later date if that is what I choose. Toronto in the MLS have the right to sign me on a two-year contract if I stay in North America but playing in Scotland appeals to me."

While Lapira watched from the stands at the Caledonian Stadium yesterday, Stuart Duff made his first appearance in an Aberdeen shirt. The new recruit played 90 minutes as the young Dons tumbled to a 4-1 defeat. Duff said: "It was a hard workout and I needed it because I haven't played in more than a month. I'm looking forward to getting some more games under my belt."

Dutch defender Dave Bus is due for a Pittodrie medical today in preparation for a loan which will keep him at the club until the end of the season.

But Scott Dobie yesterday ended Aberdeen's hopes of luring him north by signing for Carlisle United from Nottingham Forest. Another player with experience of the English game who has been watched by Aberdeen scouts is Ayr United midfielder Ryan Stevenson.

The 23-year-old former Chelsea trainee, who has also attracted interest from Kilmarnock, has been a star performer for the struggling Second Division side. Ayr manager Brian Reid said: "I know two or three clubs are watching Ryan but we have not had any offers."

• 2 months later...