Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Rangers after Langfield

I remember the one foray Preece made out of his 6 yard box, it was to the 18 yard line against Livi in a cup game and a tectonic fuck up in both judgement and timing lost us the fixture 1-0 as Livi scored from his mistake.

Nothing that is said about Langfield being ropey on crosses, corners, communication or catching (nice piece of alliteration) was necessarily unapplicable to Preece.  As someone said, don't substitute being remembered, with being remembered as an exceptional player.  Preece was overtaken by Esson at the end remember, and look what great success he has gone on to.

::)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be honest for a minute here.

Rangers can be after them if they want and if £££ is his motivator, he'l be a great #3 for them.

If Langfield has a brain in his head, and I believe he does, he'll stay here and be the #1 here when we go to europe.  The guy is a good keeper.  No he isn't Kjaer or maybe even a Gordon but with the deffense JC puts in front of him, he is more than adequate to do the job for Aberdeen.

Be honest for a minute here.

Rangers can be after them if they want and if £££ is his motivator, he'l be a great #3 for them.

If Langfield has a brain in his head, and I believe he does, he'll stay here and be the #1 here when we go to europe.  The guy is a good keeper.  No he isn't Kjaer or maybe even a Gordon but with the deffense JC puts in front of him, he is more than adequate to do the job for Aberdeen.

Being honest... Langfield is shit and the huns are more than welcome to him. If he stays here and is the #1 when we go to Europe i'll jump off the Kingston Bridge. Repeat after me: The guy is NOT a good keeper.

He is probably the third best keeper in Scotland right now. Read into that whatever you want, but only Boruc and Gordon are better than him. McGregor is a decent shot stopper and nothing more. He is a stop gap at best for Rangers. Which other keeper is of any real standard in the SPL? Langfield has been decent if unspectacular, and considering we dont seem to have any better options...

He is probably the third best keeper in Scotland right now. Read into that whatever you want, but only Boruc and Gordon are better than him. McGregor is a decent shot stopper and nothing more. He is a stop gap at best for Rangers. Which other keeper is of any real standard in the SPL? Langfield has been decent if unspectacular, and considering we dont seem to have any better options...

Hear, hear!

He is a stop gap at best for Rangers. Which other keeper is of any real standard in the SPL?

Maybe I've missed something glaringly obvious since I left Scottish shores some four years ago ... but isn't Klos still at Rangers? I seem to remember him being EASILY the best keeper in the league not so long ago? What's happened to him? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

With no Hart or Foster, our defense looks anemic after Anderson & Considine.  Diamond is not the same player he has been.  How can you fault Langfield?

because he's a poor keeper. Cant command his area, is slow getting down, his handling at times is comical.

Preece and Esson were mediocre at best, but both are better than that clown.

Then how can you not include Langfield's Goals Against average?  Compared with Preece & Esson he's ahead on that and ahead on wins.

because it's down to the defence as well. You could stick Langfield in goals for ManUtd and they'd probably still have the best goals against record in their league, but i'll be fucked if 90% of that is down to him. Statistics never tell the whole story, and are in fact a bit like miniskirts in that way, as someone famous once said.

I hear you BB.

I just feel that Langfield is a good keeper he is not a great keeper.  He does an adequate job there. 

If there were a keeper out there that Aberdeen could sign given their financial structure who we would think "why isn't this guy in Red?" about, I would be the first to say he isn't top drawer and demand better but I cannot think of anyone to bring in.

They're welcome to him. What the feck was he up to on that 4th goal?! I'll probably have to see it again, but it looked to me like he thought Hunt crossed it and it was going nowhere, then was surprised when it went on off the far post.

Even if he thought it was a cross, it was that close to him he should've caught it and got a quick counter going with some of that great kicking of his. Oh, hang about...

I'd like to comment on Langfields performance today. It seems his team mates are not confident with him or perhaps he isnt confident in himself. I thought for 4th goal it was imilar to goal we conceded against Hibs in the Cup very slow to get down then very slow to react. Thoughts?

Although not an Esson fan, he was no worse than Langfield, who is obviously one of Jimmys favourites.

Esson was punted for making less mistakes than Langfield.

It's about time the management gave Souter his chance, Certainly can't be any worse than Langfield.

Guest swaddon

Aye Preece was just turning into the sort of keeper we had been looking for for ages!

Offer them Soutar as a swap, get him back and stick Bonny in the reserves

Not former Rangers 'keeper Bonny Ginzburg? He must be about 60?

I hear you BB.

I just feel that Langfield is a good keeper he is not a great keeper.  He does an adequate job there. 

If there were a keeper out there that Aberdeen could sign given their financial structure who we would think "why isn't this guy in Red?" about, I would be the first to say he isn't top drawer and demand better but I cannot think of anyone to bring in.

The fact is Drew, whether you or I believe that there's someone out there we can get is utterly irrelevant. I do not for one second believe that Langfield is the best keeper we can get. It is a huge indication of our current management team's unwillingness to look further than Fife for players. Football is a global game, and as such, we should be using scouting contacts abroad to be getting guys in.

Stillian Petrov was on £500 a week when he first joined Celtic. Aberdeen can afford that. The players of desired quality and pirce are there if you get up off your arse and look for them.

If you cast your mind back to when Willie Miller and Calderwood came into Aberdeen. The Summer of 2004, Willie Miller spent two weeks in Eastern Europe setting up contacts. I remember being quietly confident at the time about this, i really thought it was the way to go. How many players has it brought us? None. Do you know why? Because Calderwood would prefer to take a bunch of cloggers from Dunfermline than to actually go and look at young players in the likes of Poland and Hungary who would be good for our team for a few years and who we could then sell for a profit later on. That's fact. It's extremely sad, but it's fact.

That's the thing BB. With all these countries getting EU membership, we should be horsing in there trying to get in ahead of anyone else for any half decent talent out there that wouldn't have got a permit before. Instead, we're stuck with the usual hit or miss Dutchmen and cheapo Dunfermline journeymen types, except now it'll probably be United. Lee Mair is quite possibly just the start of that particular trend (unless you count Brewster). I don't agree with it, and i don't think you do either. Personally, i'd like the 11 best players we can get on that pitch every week, and i just do not think we do enough to find them.

I know the Irish League's not the best, but you hear about Levein trekking over there to find players this week, then off to England to find more players. He might not find anything, but at least he's looking. Meanwhile, Jimmy's giving interviews at Pittodrie about how he's used 58 players in 3 years. I'd like to think there's at least somebody out there looking for new talent, but i'm not sure if there is. There was that infamous story that JC sacked the scounting team because he could find players himself. And thus we got Langfield, Nicholson, Byrne and Dempsey (FTR, i like Barry, and Dempsey's not a bad squad player) from Dunfermline. There's better out there than what lies at the end of the A90, but we'll never get them if we're just waiting for a "contact" to ring up and tell us about them. Chances are, they've already been identified by someone else with much more money and an actual scout looking for players and we'll miss out.

Personally, i liked Ebbe's method for finding new players - get a train load of trialists in, and see how they look. If an agent'll pay his players' travel expenses, there's not much that could go wrong there surely?

Aye BB you're right,

Somehow I think Willie Miller is missing the boat when it comes to international talent.  On the other hand, is there a move yet that we can say JC was wrong about? 

Wouldn't be cool to say that Aberdeen are Truly Scotland's Team?  I'm thinking along the line of few or no internationals.  An all Scottish Squad.  Impractical in today's day & age, but if you could get the best Sottish player at every position...

Miller's Tache is right, with more countries coming into the EU, it should be an awful lot easier for us to get players in who won't cost as much as guys coming from the same league.

I'd actually forgotten that JC decided that the scouting network could be dispensed with. What other club has no scouting network? That is hideously short sighted. There is a complete lack of imagination with Calderwood. The influx of Dunfermline players points to this. When he gave a trial to Daal and we couldn't get him originally, did he shop around to see if we could get someone instead of waiting for Daal? No. Now, fair enough, if Daal was the next van Nistelrooy, but he's not is he? So why did we wait to sign him? It's not good enough to say "because he's cheap", there are other cheap players of the required quality out there. But again, that would require a bit of work, a bit of travelling, that our esteemed manager doesn't seem to like doing unless he's going to top up his tan.

Willie Miller can point out all the potential signing targets he wants, but the decision rests with Calderwood. The impression I'm under is that when Calderwood came into Pittodrie, he said "i want Byrne, Dempsey, Nicholson, Langfield, Crawford..." and that was it. That was the extent of HIS scouting.

Drew - you're right, you can say that Calderwoods signings haven't been bad, although Byrne and Langfield in my opinion are toilet. But, I'd say that yes, they've been ALRIGHT. Is "ALRIGHT" what we want?

Another of MT's points about Ebbe's methods of taking in trialists has another slant to it. Ebbe took a lot of guys in, hardly any got contracts. Of the trialists Calderwood has taken in, how many got contracts? Nearly all of them. And how many of those guys (Paatelainens, Kristianson, Blaha etc etc) were good enough for us? I'd say zero. That also points to laziness. And if it's not laziness, then it's very worrying, cos none of them were footballers.

Two names for you. Peter Kjaer and Roberto Bisconti. Easily two of the best players we've had in the last ten years. Where did they come from?  How much did they cost? Those two would significantly enhance our current side. Again, another inidication that the players are there and, more importantly, are available to a club like ours, for affordable prices.

• 3 weeks later...