Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Squad improvements

Would say that today definitely showed that we need a keeper that can concentrate (I'm sure most of us knew this already). We were fortunate that it didn't cost us points today, there was no need for him to come out like he did.

So what other areas of the squad do you think need improving? Who would you like to see coming in?

I've defended our keepers more than I'd like too.

I think they do get a rough time and, as a pair, they're the best first pick and back up we've had in a long time, but if we want to progress, we need better quality. That will likely need to come at a price though.

We've committed a lot of players to new deals so I can't see a huge amount of change. I expect Smith and Shankland to get more game time next year, Smith at the expense of Pawlett and Shanks perhaps still from the bench but with greater regularity.

I think we were over generous to Goodwillie. I'd have liked us to look elsewhere. Driver doesn't look like he'll earn an extended stay.

Shinnie coming in is huge though, even if harsh on big Andy.

Both goalkeepers are lucky to be playing at the club they're at.  I hope they both enjoy the last month of the season because it should be their last at the club. Get a quality goalkeeper in and have Rodgers as back up and let's move on.

Shinnie should be left back - fans mentioning he's being signed as a centre mid worries me. We've not had a LB since David Robertson.  Now we've signed one surely we're going to play him in that position?

One thing I'd love to see next season though is McGinn right in behind Rooney rather than the wide position he takes up.  I think we'd destroy teams every week with that...including Celtic.

A keeper is a must, just hope we can get rid of Langfield, for me he is the last link to the bad years, but finding a goalie is not going to be easy.

Somebody to replace Robson and the attributes he brings also.

Looking forward to seeing Logan on the right and Shinnie on the left next season

defo a Keeper, saying that, maybe Rodgers is already the answer, I dont think ive ever seen him play so cant say yay or nae.

Probably a CH too, Russell must be about time up and the boy fae WBA will be away back

Wouldn't mind a 10 year younger Barry Robson, Andrew Shinnie was mentioned to me at the Caley game, but last I saw he was back in favour at Birmingham,  so no chance of that happening,  unless hes pulled the "homesick" card

And swap Goodwillie for a striker in a similar mould, but with better shooting/finishing ability than a club footed quine.

I think Low and Smith will step up quite nicely with regards to midfield so I don't think we need to look at midfield.  It's a shame about goodwillie as he's clearly talented but you cant see where to put him in the team at the moment. Goalkeeper is clearly the must have signing, CH second on the list. 

I think Low and Smith will step up quite nicely with regards to midfield so I don't think we need to look at midfield.  It's a shame about goodwillie as he's clearly talented but you cant see where to put him in the team at the moment. Goalkeeper is clearly the must have signing, CH second on the list.

I really like Low, but its starting to look ominous on the contract situation,  hopefully he gets another year.

Both goalkeepers are lucky to be playing at the club they're at.  I hope they both enjoy the last month of the season because it should be their last at the club. Get a quality goalkeeper in and have Rodgers as back up and let's move on.

Shinnie should be left back - fans mentioning he's being signed as a centre mid worries me. We've not had a LB since David Robertson.  Now we've signed one surely we're going to play him in that position?

One thing I'd love to see next season though is McGinn right in behind Rooney rather than the wide position he takes up.  I think we'd destroy teams every week with that...including Celtic.

Agree completely regarding the goalkeepers and McGinn. And regarding Shinnie. Although tbh be honest this is the first I'm hearing of Shinnie fitting in at anywhere other than LB back!

Keeper is a must as both are not reliable enough. Both have cost us games this year.

As others have said would think a new CH is a must possibly two as still think most are being to charitable to Ash "bomb scare" Taylor. Mind you if Shinnie does go to left back it does free up Considine to play CH.

Agree with Bobby that I would like to see McGinn playing behind Ronney the in the middle.

Having said the above other than a keeper the rest is just tinkering and do think that with a quality keeper we will have a squad next season that really could push Celtic all the way.

I agree with everyone about the need for a new keeper. With regards to outfield players, I don't see the point in bringing in anyone who isn't better than what we have. The young boys who have been on loan and who have done an excellent job for the under-20s should bolster the squad for next season.

got be a keeper .  I would give low another year think he deserves one last chance , he never let us down fan he played.    couple youngsters get promoted and if jack goes we will spend nae doubt about that.  shinnie coming in is a massive boost as they guy is quality.  we got great side here so whoever comes is going be very good player. like the signing of mclean. its exciting times .

The more I think of likely ramifications in the summer, the more I think we'll see Shinnie in the middle. If Jack leaves, as it seems he is likely to, then it's a hell of a job to find someone to cover in that position. Considine has been exceptional at full-back this season, and it might make sense to switch things around like that.

If that's *not* the plan, and Jack moves on, then a proper, mean, nasty holding midfield player would be brilliant. A proper brute, who can pick a simple pass.

We'll need another central defender. You'd assume Anderson is going to retire, and Daniels will probably go back to West Brom (although I'd certainly be in favour of him coming back next season if that's an option). Just having the two isn't enough. There aren't any obvious candidates from the under-20s ready to go straight into the team, so I'd assume we'll have someone in there.

Personally, I'd keep Robson around, but if he moves on then I'd be surprised if there was a direct replacement, given we are quite blessed with midfield players.

McInnes has already said he's hoping to find a wide player, whether or not that's Driver or not. I'd be interested to see more of him, but it seems unlikely that he'll get a deal based on a handful of minutes here and there. I'd expect that to be a priority.

The goalkeeping position isn't dire. Brown has earned his way back, and I think Langfield was a better goalkeeper than he got credit for, but as others have said, the most obvious area to improve the team would be to sign a good 'keeper. Celtic have been good this season, but Craig Gordon has won them five or six points on his own, especially earlier in the term. Would we be willing to pay a fee if the right guy was available again?

The question of who is incredibly difficult. We've tried guys on their way up, guys on their way down, internationalists from two different countries, journeymen, youngsters from other teams in the division and everything in between, and none of them were up to it. Are there better goalkeepers in Scotland right now? Maybe, but it's not obvious. Mannus and McGovern have had good seasons, and I rate the boy McGurn at Raith, but none of them are obvious upgrades.

The one goalkeeper in Scotland that I'd want us to keep an eye on is Cammy Bell. If Rangers struggle to raise money this summer, or fail to make the top flight, there'll be a fire sale there. He's 28, has a Scotland cap, and is far better than the situation he finds himself in.

Outside of Scotland is probably the better place to look, but where? I'd love to look at an out-of-contract guy like Darren Randolph, but if he leaves Birmingham he'll be going up the way on the pay scale. There's guys like Adam Bogdan, Erwin Mulder, Boaz Myhill and Tomasz Kuszczak out of contract this summer, would we go all-out on someone who would obviously make a difference?

I think it'll be a really interesting summer, and we'll learn a lot about our ambitions. Paying money for McLean was quite a turning point. Obviously we're not going to be forking out millions, but it'll be intriguing to see if it'll a case of replacing the outgoing players with younger players, or trying to find upgrades for the here and now. Would we really raise our game by bringing in a top (for us) dollar goalkeeper?

The more I think of likely ramifications in the summer, the more I think we'll see Shinnie in the middle. If Jack leaves, as it seems he is likely to, then it's a hell of a job to find someone to cover in that position. Considine has been exceptional at full-back this season, and it might make sense to switch things around like that.

Steady, He's had a couple of really good games (hamilton away springs to mind) but at best he has become a reasonable FB.  I will be livid if Shinnie is deployed anywhere outside of LB unless its an emergency

Steady, He's had a couple of really good games (hamilton away springs to mind) but at best he has become a reasonable FB.  I will be livid if Shinnie is deployed anywhere outside of LB unless its an emergency

Id go with that, i'd much rather see Shinnie as Left Back.  Not had one since i've supported the Dons, well, not a decent or proper one.  If Jack goes, I hope it's for decent money.

I can’t really disagree much with what Tubilay has said.

I can see Shinnie coming in to replace Jack if, as I’m lead to believe, he’s off in the summer. Considine has done enough to show he can make that position his own, and granted next season domestically, he is pretty solid. AC also gives us added depth coming forward as we effectively attack with 3 CB’s at set pieces (if we can finally learn how to make ourselves a threat at them).

I’d like to see Shankland given a run up-top maybe with Rooney as I can see us having the confidence next season to go out an dominate games, if we continue in the same vein as now. This could potentially result in being able to have 2 up top.

Ideally another CB would be handy, as bar Reynolds, I think all of the other CB’s we’ve had at the club have been injured at some point this season.

We could do with another Central mid who can really drive us forward like Robson in his pomp. That would really lift us into serious contenders next season as we’ve often went missing in some games in mid-field.  McLean may yet be that man, and I reckon with a pre-season behind him we’ll get the best of him next season.

Most importantly we need someone between the sticks who will make a huge difference to what we currently have. Brown and Clangers are decent cover, but neither have what it takes to help us take the next step.

As Tubilay said, it will be interesting to see who we recruit in the way of quality and what intent we look to be showing next season. The guys he listed as goalkeepers to me seem out of our range (possibly Randolph excluded) but in order to progress and potentially challenge for the title, you have to pay for the quality. I think we’ll still have JL and SB as our goalkeepers next season and that will cost us. I hope I’m wrong.

I don’t think we’re a million miles away from mounting a real title challenge next season, heck, we’re almost there this season. Some quality in the summer and you never know. Positively now, we’re always building on top of the squad compared to previous seasons squad re-builds.

I think he's been brilliant this year. Only Shinnie has provided more assists from full-back for anyone this season. He was always decent defensively, but his attacking game has come on leaps and bounds, and he's a threat at set-pieces and for a big diagonal into the box. Of our four main defenders, I'd say Considine has been the best of the lot of them. He's played more career games at left-back now than he did at centre-back.

That's not to say I'd rather he kept that position and Shinnie was moved to midfield, just that it's a possibility. If you took Jack out of the team, right now, Shinnie in midfield would be our best lineup. If there's a plan to replace him if and when he leaves with a dedicated holding player, then that's great, but as is, I'd like both of them in the XI.

Knowing our luck with injuries Shinnine will come in and get crocked after half a dozen games and then we will be back to having Consi at LB again. Or even worse Robertson :eek: (if he is still around that is).

Hopefully that is just me being cynical though about Shinnie and he will be like Logan, Reynolds, Rooney etc in terms of injuries.

Robertson won't be around. Neither will Shaughnessy or Low. I'd expect Masson will be on his way out too.

I've always liked J-Shau and Low, but they just didn't seem to make the grade. Shame really but for the positions they play in, I can't really see them getting much game time in the future.

Had completely forgotten we even have Robertson until recently.

Hopefully wi_09, that won't happen.  Certainly happened with Aberdeen of old, but i'd like to think we're a different club now!  Just the authorities to beat now  ;)

I feel for Low. He's a good loon. He'll get a good job elsewhere though and it's probably best for him to move and establish himself as a first team regular.

Shug, Masson and Robertson are at a real make or break stage. I hope they all prove me wrong but I'm not convinced any of them will find clubs in the top flight.